Who needs a QB, and who has the ammo? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who needs a QB, and who has the ammo?

No offense to anyone here, but it's equally questionable, if player X is perceived by fans as an exceptional talent, what are the odds quite a few teams disagree with fans? It is just as likely entire organizations know more about the 'exceptional talent' than fans, than it is fans know more than multiple entire organizations. If fans make mistakes, then their opinions can alo be questioned.

As you know, I'm all for Miami getting Tua, if possible. I'll even trade up a little. But, it isn't beyond reason multiple teams, in this case, #2, #3, #4, have justification for passing a potentially elite talent. I'm not arguing they don't see Tua as good. I suspect they do. Just not good enough to negate their perceived greater need.
They're not drafting in a vacuum and they often look out for their own interests. It's not that complicated. You're implying that GMs are always going to make the best decision for the team in the long term which is absolutely not the case.

But that 1 blue-chip talent is 'generational.' And no promise they'll be in the position to draft a top QB next year.

I understand Young's assessment but I don't think they are in the market for a QB. Snyder wanted Haskins and I doubt he hires Rivera without a buy-in.

The question I was raising is whether or not they see more value in adding multiple pieces compared to one player. If you can add 3 or 4 top round players compared to 1, they might think that's worth it. Otherwise they have a "generational" edge player (who may be wasted for two years) and limited resources to help them with all the other holes I mentioned. How valuable is he if they cannot protect their QB or give him weapons?

....and they don't have a second round pick next year. They have 2, 66, 98, 130, 194 & 207 .

Sort of like going with Jerry Jeudy, Andrew Thomas and D'Andre Swift (and maybe an additonal pick in 2021) to help my young QB while I roll with Montez Sweat & Ryan Kerrigan for a year.

it isn't beyond reason multiple teams, in this case, #2, #3, #4, have justification for passing a potentially elite talent.
If that were true, you couldnt get an elite QB outside of the top 5...

They're not drafting in a vacuum and they often look out for their own interests. It's not that complicated. You're implying that GMs are always going to make the best decision for the team in the long term which is absolutely not the case.

I'm implying teams TRY to make the best decision. Everyone here knows there are frequent failures.

I'm implying teams TRY to make the best decision. Everyone here knows there are frequent failures.
And in their minds they have a QB who next season would help them win more games than Tua would and help prolong their own personal employment. A lot of these guys aren't exactly playing chess.

If that were true, you couldnt get an elite QB outside of the top 5...

Not at all. The Skins may 'justify' passing on Tua because Haskins is seen as 'good enough' and they can focus on another position. Det may 'justify' passing on Tua because they need to win NOW and can't let a top pick sit out '20. Again, as I see reality, passing on a QB doesn't equate to a 'mistake' or 'failure to recognize talent.' It can just as likely be they don't think the QB will be as impactful as a player at another position. That is, not a 'generational talent.'

It is clear teams DO miss on talent (e.g., Wilson and LJ). But it's hard to accept essentially every team in the NFL passed on him because they didn't see him as talented

And in their minds they have a QB who next season would help them win more games than Tua would and help prolong their own personal employment. A lot of these guys aren't exactly playing chess.

I'd only tweak that a little. Doesn't have to be Tua. I've said a number of times, teams with average or above QBs tend to keep what they have as far as drafting top 10 QBs. And pay those average QBs VERY WELL. That shows they realize how important a decent QB is and how risky evaluation is.

Exactly. Most NFL teams are run like circuses - by bean counters appointed as 'football people' that would be trolling football message boards if they weren't fortunate enough to keep sniveling their way up the ladder into front office jobs.

I think the owner mandates QB selection at #5. It’s either move up for a QB or best available QB at 5.
He has spent his ownership watching:
Brady dominate division
Mahomes win a Super Bowl
Manning brothers
Steelers contenders with Ben- Ben hurt no playoffs.
Colts contenders with Luck/ no Luck no playoffs.
Watson and Texans.
Etc etc.

Don't despair … after 3 HC's and different systems in 4 years … overcoming a leg injury … the kid did pretty damn good IMO

2016 season[edit]
Entering his true freshman season listed as QB2 on the depth chart,[7] Herbert became the first true freshman at Oregon to start at Quarterback since Chris Miller in 1983 when the Ducks took on arch-rival Washington on October 8, 2016.[8] Despite setting or equaling Oregon's single-game records for total offensive yards (512), passing yards (489), and touchdown passes (6),[9] the Ducks finished with their worst season in 25 years, going 4–8 and failing to make a bowl game for the first time in over a decade.[10]
Herbert became the starting quarterback after the fifth game of the season and showcased his talents throwing for 1,936 yards including 19 touchdowns with just four interceptions in eight starts and led a come-from-behind upset at #11 Utah with four touchdowns in the final 15:27 of the game to overcome a 14–3 deficit. On the final drive, he completed 6-of-9 passes for 63 yards with a 17-yard game-winning TD pass with two seconds left.[11]
2017 season[edit]
The Ducks entered the 2017 season with a new head coach Willie Taggart after Oregon fired Mark Helfrich following the 2016 season.[12] Leading the Ducks to a 4–1 start, Herbert's transition from the Chip Kelly/Mark Helfrich era “Blur Offense” to Taggart's “Gulf Coast Offense” was successful before he fractured his collarbone against Cal on September 30, 2017.[13]
Without Herbert in the lineup, the Ducks dropped four of their next five games, and the offense went from averaging 49.2 points per game to just 15.0 points per game.[14] Herbert returned to help the Ducks win their last two regular season games to become bowl eligible.[15] The Ducks were selected to play Boise State in the Las Vegas Bowl but their performance fell flat and the Ducks lost 38–28 after head coach Willie Taggart left the team to become the head coach at Florida State a week before their bowl game.[16][17]
In 8 starts, Herbert had a 6–2 record and threw for 1,983 yards on 139-of-206 passing attempts (67.5%), including 15 touchdowns against only five interceptions. He also rushed the ball 44 times for 183 yards and five touchdowns.[18] Herbert was named first-team CoSIDA Academic All-American with a 4.08 grade-point average in biology.[19]
2018 season[edit]
Herbert entered his third collegiate season as an early Heisman Trophy candidate despite being coached by a third different head coach as well as navigating his third different offensive scheme with new head coach Mario Cristobal transitioning from the spread offense to the pistol offense.[4][20] Herbert led the Ducks to a 9–4 record and a victory in the Redbox Bowl. He finished the year with 3,151 passing yards, 29 passing touchdowns, and two rushing touchdowns. His 31 total touchdowns were good for second in the Pac-12 Conference behind Washington State's Gardner Minshew.[21] He was named to the Pac-12 All-Academic first-team.[22]
2019 season[edit]
On December 26, 2018, Herbert announced that he would return to Oregon for his senior season.[23] He led his team to a 12-2 record and to a win in the Rose Bowl, in which he won the Offensive MVP award. In addition to his on-field success, Herbert was named the 30th recipient of The William V. Cambell Trophy. For winning this award, which is referred to as the "Academic Heisman," Herbert was honored during the 2020 College Football Playoff National Title Game.[24]
Statistics[edit]
PassingRushing
SeasonTeamW-LCOMPATTPCTYDSYDS/ATDINTRATQBRATTYDSYDS/ATD
2016Oregon2–616225563.51,9367.6194148.873.9581612.82
2017Oregon6–213920667.51,9839.6155167.580.1441834.25
2018Oregon9–424040459.43,1517.8298144.772.2711662.32
2019Oregon12-228642866.83,4718.1326158.774.158500.94
CareerOregon29–148131,27363.910,5418.29522153.775.02315602.413
[18]
Didn't know that..good information....

Back
Top Bottom