who should have been the NBA's MvP?! <statistics project> PLEASE LOOK! | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

who should have been the NBA's MvP?! <statistics project> PLEASE LOOK!

who is your MVP?!

• Steve Nash

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • Kobe Bryant

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Lebron James

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Dirk Nowitzki

Votes: 4 11.4%

• Total voters
RobFins2005 said:
But "statistics" are a very small part of MVP. The problem I have with a lot of people on this board (the initial poster not included as this is a project) is that they argue "player A is better than player B, he scores X points per game, andp layer B scores Y".

Numbers can't solely make an argument, not even for MVP. not saying they're not important, but the Suns couldn't win the Pacific Division if they were without Nash for the entire season, even with Amare.

I'm not saying I couldn't even entertain others winning the MVP this year--Lebron certainly was a viable candidate as well. But why everybody treats Nash like he's crap is beyond me.

You can make an argument for most any star being the MVP based on however you want to define what an MVP is. The whole thing is subjective. But the critisism is understandable. Players like Wade, Kobe, and Lebron are just much better than Nash. You can argue whos team is better, who won more games, who looks the best....whatever....the fact remains Nash just isnt on their level as basketball players.

The only reason Nash has won two MVPs in a row is b/c people can relate to him. You just naturally root for the guy who is most like you. Not many people can even begin to imagine what its like to be 7 feet tall or to be able to jump 2 ft in the air. Nash is a great player who is also a short, slow white guy.

If Marion is the better player, or whatecer your arguement was, why is it that before Nash came, the Suns sucked for 3 years, missing the playoffs twice and barely getting the 8th seed in the 3rd year?? Marion was there, and they still managed to go 29-53 the year prior to Nash getting signed....

I voted for Dirk....without him the Mavs don't even make the playoffs.

bullseyeguy said:
If Marion is the better player, or whatecer your arguement was, why is it that before Nash came, the Suns sucked for 3 years, missing the playoffs twice and barely getting the 8th seed in the 3rd year?? Marion was there, and they still managed to go 29-53 the year prior to Nash getting signed....

Simple Mike Di'Antoni is the reason they are sucessful. His 1st full season 2004.

Steve Nash has almost the same stats as he did in Dallas. He hasnt increased his skills.
96-97 PHO 65 2 10.5 .423 .418 .824 .2 .7 1.0 2.1 .31 .00 .97 1.40 3.3
97-98 PHO 76 9 21.9 .459 .415 .860 .4 1.7 2.1 3.4 .83 .05 1.29 1.90 9.1
98-99 DAL 40 40 31.7 .363 .374 .826 .8 2.1 2.9 5.5 .93 .05 2.08 2.50 7.9
99-00 DAL 56 27 27.4 .477 .403 .882 .6 1.6 2.2 4.9 .66 .05 1.82 2.20 8.6
00-01 DAL 70 70 34.1 .487 .406 .895 .7 2.5 3.2 7.3 1.03 .07 2.93 2.30 15.6
01-02 DAL 82 82 34.6 .483 .455 .887 .6 2.5 3.1 7.7 .65 .05 2.79 2.00 17.9
02-03 DAL 82 82 33.1 .465 .413 .909 .8 2.1 2.9 7.3 1.04 .07 2.34 1.60 17.7
03-04 DAL 78 78 33.5 .470 .405 .916 .8 2.2 3.0 8.8 .86 .10 2.68 1.80 14.5
04-05 PHO 75 75 34.3 .502 .431 .887 .8 2.6 3.3 11.5 .99 .08 3.27 1.80 15.5
05-06 PHX 79 79 35.4 .512 .439 .921 .6 3.6 4.2 10.5 .77 .15 3.49 1.50 18.8

Ferretsquig said:
The only reason Nash has won two MVPs in a row is b/c people can relate to him. You just naturally root for the guy who is most like you. Not many people can even begin to imagine what its like to be 7 feet tall or to be able to jump 2 ft in the air. Nash is a great player who is also a short, slow white guy.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2443137
If Nash just won because hes a "regular guy" then why did he also win the Sporting News award, thats voted on my NBA GM's? Most General managers are former players, so to say they cant relate doesnt hold any weight..

Amars said:
Simple Mike Di'Antoni is the reason they are sucessful. His 1st full season 2004.
I agrre D'Antoni, is an awesome coach, and that Nash benefits from the system, but all great players benefit from systems..Jordan wouldnt have been as productive if he didnt have Jackson and the triangle to benefit from...Nash is the perfect fit fot Coach D's system , and thats evident by him demanding the Suns signed Nash to be the PG of the team...Hes said many times, that Nash was the one player who could run his offense to perfection, and its obviously been proven true...

You also have to factor in the anti-Kobe vote. Some voters will not vote for Kobe no matter what he does/

bullseyeguy said:
I agrre D'Antoni, is an awesome coach, and that Nash benefits from the system, but all great players benefit from systems..Jordan wouldnt have been as productive if he didnt have Jackson and the triangle to benefit from...Nash is the perfect fit fot Coach D's system , and thats evident by him demanding the Suns signed Nash to be the PG of the team...Hes said many times, that Nash was the one player who could run his offense to perfection, and its obviously been proven true...

I strongly believe Jordan would of won championship if he had run a different offense and still would of been the greatest player ever. Phil Jackson specialty is not the triangle but defense. Jordan got better with experience and having other teammate who are role players.

bullseyeguy said:

So do you think Nash is the reason or D'Antoni? I think this team would of still been a playoff team without Nash.

Amars said:
So do you think Nash is the reason or D'Antoni? I think this team would of still been a playoff team without Nash.
I think its a combination of the two, I dont think they would be nearly as good if either of those 2 were gone...

bullseyeguy said:
I think its a combination of the two, I dont think they would be nearly as good if either of those 2 were gone...

:lol: took the easy answer. Nash can be replaced easy. You can throw in Sam Cassel, Jason Kidd or Mike Bibby and the suns will have similiar results. You take out D'Antoni and his style the suns suffer greatly.

Amars said:
:lol: took the easy answer. Nash can be replaced easy. You can throw in Sam Cassel, Jason Kidd or Mike Bibby and the suns will have similiar results. You take out D'Antoni and his style the suns suffer greatly.
Its not a matter of taking the easy answer, its what I think...D'Antoni put in the system, and Nash runs it perfectly, and I think better than anyone else could run it...I dotn agree with you about Cassell, Kidd might be able to be ok, but his shooting isnt very good, and that would hurt the team...Bibby would be the best choice of those 3 I would think, but I wouldnt trade him for anyone...

bullseyeguy said:
Its not a matter of taking the easy answer, its what I think...D'Antoni put in the system, and Nash runs it perfectly, and I think better than anyone else could run it...I dotn agree with you about Cassell, Kidd might be able to be ok, but his shooting isnt very good, and that would hurt the team...Bibby would be the best choice of those 3 I would think, but I wouldnt trade him for anyone...

Nash avg. 18 ppg. Dont need to much shooting. Do you think D'Antoni can be replaced and with who, nobody runs his style?

ComebackRicky, what are you using to form your opinion? Since this is for a statistics class, it seems to me you'd have to base your argument on, you know, statistics. You'll probably want to look up things like plus/minus stats, record with and without the player, John Hollinger's PER, etc. The basics like points, rebounds and assists, all by themselves, won't get you very far if it's being based solely on stats, since you need to compare apples to apples as much as possible. Anyway, good luck.

Back
Top Bottom