Who to cut for cap room | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who to cut for cap room

Come on give us some numbers or some links... I guess i will...

First lets get the negative cap numbers out of the way...
Signed FA's Rookie Contract
Byron Jones... -12.3 mil Tua................. -17.9 mil
Flowers.......... -975K Wilkens.......... -4.9 mil
Lawson......... -1.3 mil Jackson.......... - 8 mil
Hurns............ -500k Igbo................ - 6.5mil
Hunt..............-1.7 mil
Kwon.............-900k

Of course we will look silly to cut any of the rookie contract guys that are in the negative.
Jones, Flowers, and Lawson we could not get their replacement for their salary minus the loss.
Replacing Hurns with a rookie, we could probably afford to eat his salary.
So possible Hurns is only bye bye in this group if we double up on WR in draft

No hit to cut all gain
Ogbah............+7.5 mil Jones (DT)..........780K
Bonds (CB).....850K Merritt ............780K
Eguovan..........850k myarick...............780K
Tom (C)...........850k Neto.....................780K
Bowden..........820K Scarlett (RB)........780K
Ahmad............780k Coe (DE)................660K
Gauthier (C)....780K Cole (S)..................660K
Davis (CB)........660K

We'd be crazy as hell to cut Ogbah, he needs to be extended if anything. Most of the other names will not be on the active roster anyways and will prob be flip flopped in the offseason or after the draft. You'll be pretty much replacing them for a player at their level, Egua, Bowden, Jones all have some potential to still see field. Pretty much you sign a safety for 5 million, you cut Cole, and so on.
Most of the names you dont know, are gone from this group anyways, no rush to cut to free up 600-800K

Non-Starter savings
Al Wilson......2.8 mil Dieter............500K
Grant............2.8 mil SMythe..........900K
J Davis...........2.5 mil AVG..................800K
Sieler............1.75 mil Laird................850K
Fej.................1.4 mil Strowbridge....600K
Shehan.........100K Ledbetter.........850K
Bran Jones.....300K Perry.................750K

If we want to go big time WR in FA then i think you have to imagine that we free up 2.8 or 5.6 mil by releasing one or both of the WR's. I Some of these players are too valuable special teams wise i think to outright replace.
From this list i would say Wilson and/or Grant, Post-draft i could see potential Laird or Deiter gone, even though no major rush i dont feel to start cutting reserves that dont even free up a million

Special Teams savings...
Sanders........920K
Ferguson......680K

Sanders needs to be extended ASAP, too bad the NFL is 100% business, maybe we could convince him to take a discount if we brought back his partner Haack. be nice to save money on Kicker to go towards keeping punter. so noway we save anything here

Starters..(not listed above)
Van Noy......9.8 mil DVP...........2.8 mil
Howard.......6.8 mil Gesicki......1.4
McCain........5.8 mil Kindley.......400K
Rowe...........5mil Gaskins....830k
Bake............900k Pres Williams..800k

Howard is going to be asking for a restructure and Bake is prob gobba be looking for an extension. Barring a X trade if he's too disgruntled with his contract or negotiations , Rowe might be the only one i see being gone from this group. Flo loves him some McCain. Van Noy would allow us the greatest cap flexibility if cut but that would be insane.

So there, there is some more figures for yall to help you ponder the decisions.

Kwon.............-900k

Of course we will look silly to cut any of the rookie contract guys that are in the negative.
Jones, Flowers, and Lawson we could not get their replacement for their salary minus the loss.

No hit to cut all gain
Davis (CB)........660K

We'd be crazy as hell to cut Ogbah, he needs to be extended if anything. Most of the other names will not be on the active roster anyways and will prob be flip flopped in the offseason or after the draft. You'll be pretty much replacing them for a player at their level, Egua, Bowden, Jones all have some potential to still see field. Pretty much you sign a safety for 5 million, you cut Cole, and so on.
Most of the names you dont know, are gone from this group anyways, no rush to cut to free up 600-800K

Non-Starter savings

If we want to go big time WR in FA then i think you have to imagine that we free up 2.8 or 5.6 mil by releasing one or both of the WR's. I Some of these players are too valuable special teams wise i think to outright replace.
From this list i would say Wilson and/or Grant, Post-draft i could see potential Laird or Deiter gone, even though no major rush i dont feel to start cutting reserves that dont even free up a million

Special Teams savings...
Sanders........920K
Ferguson......680K

Sanders needs to be extended ASAP, too bad the NFL is 100% business, maybe we could convince him to take a discount if we brought back his partner Haack. be nice to save money on Kicker to go towards keeping punter. so noway we save anything here

Howard is going to be asking for a restructure and Bake is prob gobba be looking for an extension. Barring a X trade if he's too disgruntled with his contract or negotiations , Rowe might be the only one i see being gone from this group. Flo loves him some McCain. Van Noy would allow us the greatest cap flexibility if cut but that would be insane.

So there’s no real point in cutting Hurns he can be a good depth piece

So there’s no real point in cutting Hurns he can be a good depth piece
As previously posted, it becomes a "numbers game" at the reciever position. Only so many roster spots to go around. If we add two, somebody has to go, regardless of salary.

Basically, we have last years players all under contract, plus the 2 opt outs under contract, plus any adds. Thats way too many players.

Kwon.............-900k

No hit to cut all gain
Davis (CB)........660K

Non-Starter savings

Special Teams savings...
Sanders........920K
Ferguson......680K

A lot of fans don't want to consider cap constraints, or how all the pieces of the puzzle fit together.

They only want to expouse emotional, knee jerk hot takes, with little to no thought about reality.

Any player that isn't an elite pro bowl player should be immediately jettisoned. Just sign an elite FA, or draft a monster to replace them. Don't you see how easy it is?

Anyone who says cut Preston Williams just doesn't understand football 🤦
MEH, in two years he has missed 16 games. He has, undeniably, had flashes, but has also had hands issues at times. On the positive, he is cheap as hell if he can stay on the field, and posesses great physical attributes.

It's just a matter of how many receivers you can carry, and what combination of guys gives you the most diverse skillset. If we were to somehow find a trade for Parker, he would be a lock.

Mostly 'Arm Chair GM's' for me... We have cap to maneuver some but have to build through the draft.

Easy decision, Parker, Williams, Grand, Wilson ( use top three picks on wr ), Godchaux, Breider....just first few that came to my head.
What others would you cut in order for us in FA market?
In essence, you want us to misuse picks to cut anybody with talent we have at the wide receiver position. Parker getting cut saves very little and gives a lot of dead cap, Williams is on his rookie contract. Wilson is a likely cut. Grant will depend on contract and cap space.

MEH, in two years he has missed 16 games. He has, undeniably, had flashes, but has also had hands issues at times. On the positive, he is cheap as hell if he can stay on the field, and posesses great physical attributes.

It's just a matter of how many receivers you can carry, and what combination of guys gives you the most diverse skillset. If we were to somehow find a trade for Parker, he would be a lock.
Williams is on a rookie contract. You don’t cut guys on rookie minimum deals who show flashes.

In essence, you want us to misuse picks to cut anybody with talent we have at the wide receiver position. Parker getting cut saves very little and gives a lot of dead cap, Williams is on his rookie contract. Wilson is a likely cut. Grant will depend on contract and cap space.
So that cut all the receivers? Lol jesus

Watch a replay of the Arizona game and then tell me how Preston Williams should be cut while on a rookie contract. It would be madness. In the game Arizona could not stop Williams no matter what they did. The only way they ever stopped him was by committing a P. I. Penalty. The kid was looking like a real weapon, so was Tua.

A lot of fans don't want to consider cap constraints, or how all the pieces of the puzzle fit together.

They only want to expouse emotional, knee jerk hot takes, with little to no thought about reality.

Any player that isn't an elite pro bowl player should be immediately jettisoned. Just sign an elite FA, or draft a monster to replace them. Don't you see how easy it is?
Ding ding ding... we have a winner

Watch a replay of the Arizona game and then tell me how Preston Williams should be cut while on a rookie contract. It would be madness. In the game Arizona could not stop Williams no matter what they did. The only way they ever stopped him was by committing a P. I. Penalty. The kid was looking like a real weapon, so was Tua.

i was thinking the same. He’s on a rookie UDFA deal. Cutting him makes zero sense

Well that should about conclude this thread. OP, I hope you have read the responses to this thread and reflected on how you can become a better armchair gm. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom