Who to cut for cap room | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who to cut for cap room

Preston Williams isn’t going anywhere, nor will Parker!
Agreed on Parker although not liking it. Don't be too sure about Williams if we use high picks on two wr.

Last edited:
Agreed on Parker although not liking it. Don't be too sure about Williams if we use high picks on wr.
Who knows. Grier was able to wrangle a draft pick for a 3 week rental on Isaiah Ford.

Maybe he can come up with something for any one of our recievers.

Parker, above average in 50 50 jump ball. Cannot stretch the field. Cannot run fly route. Cannot run dig route. Cannot run red zone fade route. Seldom catch in the middle. Cannot run screen. Cannot separate. Cannot command double team. On top of it, cannot play a full season.

If this is your nfl starting receiver, then your bar is extremely low.

Do you know for a fact that the WR you choose will be better than Parker?

If you don't know I suggest leaving the draft sims alone....

Do you know for a fact that the WR you choose will be better than Parker?

If you don't know I suggest leaving the draft sims alone....
I don't but i know what i have in Parker, which is not much.
I am willing to roll the dice.

The receiving room needs help badly but let's not go crazy here. Parker and Williams were doing really well as a tandem before injuries happened. We must draft 2 new receivers, one very high and one a little later. Bring everybody to camp and see who wins the starting jobs.
Exactly.

we just need a little infusion of talent and it’s looking up.

Reactions: BSQ
Exactly.

we just need a little infusion of talent and it’s looking up.
No,
If Parker was healthy most of his career, and last season was an abnormally, then I say you are right.
But past six saesons proved you are wrong.

No,
If Parker was healthy most of his career, and last season was an abnormally, then I say you are right.
But past six saesons proved you are wrong.
Didn’t Parker miss like 1-2 games this year? Maybe go out of 1? That’s THAT bad for you? I get that he has been injured a lot in most of his career, but of the past two years he has been relatively healthy.

I think the argument you should be using- is asking if 2019 was an anomaly

also- your heavy use of the word “cannot” in the one post is a bit much. Major overreaction

Parker, above average in 50 50 jump ball. Cannot stretch the field. Cannot run fly route. Cannot run dig route. Cannot run red zone fade route. Seldom catch in the middle. Cannot run screen. Cannot separate. Cannot command double team. On top of it, cannot play a full season.

If this is your nfl starting receiver, then your bar is extremely low.
So, which team does Parker not start for?

starting wr= in the top 3 receivers on the top also to consider that

I would be much more inclined to keep Wilson than Grant.

He's a far superior reciever, and he is definitely in Grant's class as far as speed/elusiveness, should he be needed to return punts.

We know for certain he has better hands.

I wouldn't be surprised if neither were on the opening day roster. I just think, of the two, Wilson brings more to the table.

In the end, it's going to come down to a numbers game.

Assume 6 roster slots for the WR position. Parker, Williams, 2 additions, Bowden.

That leaves 1 spot. Who knows, if we bring in a FA, and draft 2, that leaves no spot.

I'm sure we will try to work out a trade or two, but the market isn't great for any of our guys, IMO.
All cogent arguments, and very reasonable.

Still, Grant is the more dynamic athlete, proved his value by generating TD's in the return game (although his hands are definitely a concern), and showed complete loyalty to the team and staff this year. I still think Grant will be retained if either are. Then again, I wouldn't say either of them has any job security. We'll almost definitely be drafting a young WR, probably in round 1 or 2.

Didn’t Parker miss like 1-2 games this year? Maybe go out of 1? That’s THAT bad for you? I get that he has been injured a lot in most of his career, but of the past two years he has been relatively healthy.

I think the argument you should be using- is asking if 2019 was an anomaly

also- your heavy use of the word “cannot” in the one post is a bit much. Major overreaction
It was a strong condemnation, I admit. But I stand by what I said. Beside winng 50 50 ball, I did not see any other attributes in his game.

As for injury,the games he missed last season were critical, we were in the major playoff push. That adds to the summation of his career, six seasons are big enough of sample size that Parker is not a wr we can count on going forward.

So, which team does Parker not start for?

starting wr= in the top 3 receivers on the top also to consider that
He is not a slot, lets get that out of the way. So its 2, not 3. All teams in top 16 in passing ranking, he would not start.

jeffrey wright GIF by HBO

Did you just say that we moved on productively without them?

Productively?

If you think they quit on the team as opposed to not wanting to take the Covid to their families...say that.
Let's not conflate Tua's production with Ryan Fitzpatrick's production. Compare this year's Ryan Fitzpatrick to last year's Ryan Fitzpatrick for a more apples to apples comparison. True, we had other issues like no Preston Williams this year but a better OL ... but it's a closer production. Tua had a couple of decent games, such as Arizona and Kansas City, but was more up and down and some of those down games were simply protecting defensive wins. But yes, we saw upticks. Parker was productive without a true deep threat outside of Grant on the opposite side. Gesicki picked up the slot role Preston Williams was manning without any problems ... in fact it led to our primary intermediate to deep threat and a strong red zone option. You can attribute this to whatever you want, but the team really did not miss Wilson or Hurns. With Lyn Bowden Jr., we may already have our direct Wilson replacement without nearly the salary concern.

I'm not judging their decision to sit out. But just like someone getting injured is not voluntary, these things are most definitely factored in negatively by the GM's around the league. They don't care why you're not there, but if you're no there it's a major problem. Sure, great talent means they'll cut you some slack ... but not being available is why guys like Mike Pouncey and JJ Watt are making major career decisions. Coaches need to be able to depend on their players, that means less mental errors, less injuries, less drama, and yes ... health decisions (like sitting out a season from Covid concerns) is part of that equation. Ultimately, the front office is judged on how many games we win .... not whether you remain valuable next year after they're fired. So, they have a strong preference for guys who are present and productive.

Look at our offense. We were not significantly less productive without Wilson and Hurns. That's just the way it will be viewed by our front office. I'm not making any kind of moral evaluation or philosophical point. I'm just acknowledging that our front office will see sitting out 2020 because of Covid concerns as a negative mark on that player's evaluation, so unless we need their productivity, it probably spells bad news for the player. Just how the league is today.

I disagree. Parker is debatable, but he has proven to be a legit #1, and Tua needs a #1. My preference would be to draft a new #1 and keep Parker until that drafted guy takes over the #1 spot convincingly. Preston Williams is a talented young guy, and he's not really expensive, so I doubt we move on f rom him. Grant is debatable, and he has definitely proven to be one of the most dangerous special teams guys, so his salary spot revolves around two things--1) can you replace his special teams scores/production, and 2) how much will it cost in terms of salary and draft resources to replace him? I lean towards keeping him, but that's a tough conversation either way.

IMHO, Wilson is gone. Allen Hurns, who absolutely should be in this discussion, is also gone. They chose to sit out the year, and we've moved on productively without them. At their salary levels, they clearly are not worth the money, so it's just a matter of time before we cut them lose. Might as well stop the bleeding now. How much salary cap does this provide? Not sure, but the result seems inevitable, so it's a hard case to make if you want to keep either of them. Sitting out a season on top of lots of injuries and very bloated salaries ... yeah, gotta get those guys off the books.

Definitely look at drafting a #1 in the first two rounds. Figure out the rest of the WR room as we learn how good of a pick the guy we drafted actually was at the NFL level. Lots of top prospect WR's are busts ... lots.
Neither Wilson, nor Hurns makes as much money as many think.
I suspect that they will be traded or come to camp. I doubt if either gets released outright.

Back
Top Bottom