Who was John Avery? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who was John Avery?

TAK

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
We drafted him with our first pick in 1998 and we only had him on our team for a year then he disappeared. Did he get injured or something or did we pick another bust?

EDIT: Also who was Yatil Green?

(I am looking over our past draft picks)

lol you are definately going to make a bunch of people a little bit more sad when they read this thread.

Avery was decent at special teams but not cut out to be a professional RB. He was so lousy he actually played for the XFL.

Green suffered injuries that never gave him a chance to shine.

Are you just now following the team(not a slam, just curious if you're a new fan)?

ih8brady said:
Avery was decent at special teams but not cut out to be a professional RB. He was so lousy he actually played for the XFL.

Green suffered injuries that never gave him a chance to shine.

Are you just now following the team(not a slam, just curious if you're a new fan)?
I always liked the Dolphins but never really followed them when I was little. I am 18 now and have been following them closely for the past 3 years. I started really watching them after Dave Wannstedt got the axe and Saban came in because I knew we would no longer suck and would improve some every year.

EDIT: How do you do this in training camp? "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]On the first day of training camp, he(Yatil Green) suffered a devastating injury, tearing his quadriceps muscles, anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) and cartilage in his right knee. Before it had even started, it looked like Green's NFL career was over. ...and as bad as that sounds, what happened instead was far worse."

I mean was he hit by one of those little cars they run the coaches back and forth in?
[/FONT]

Green was a monster in college. Very Very Fast. He was brought in because the Dolphins were really looking for a receiver for Marino. I don't know how he got injured but yes, he never did recover from that.

John Avery was trash. This was yet another one of those JJ picks trying to find the answer to the phins lack of a running game. He now plays in the CFL and is a star. He was always very fast, he just had questionable everything else.

Wow this draft crap is interesting.

I NEVER KNEW ABOUT RAE CARRUTH!

Holy crap he killed his pregnant girlfriend and is now in jail after a promising NFL start. That is freaking crazy.

TAK said:

Holy crap he killed his pregnant girlfriend and is now in jail after a promising NFL start. That is freaking crazy.

he is the class of the Carolina Panthers org.

TAK said:

him and Ray Lewis(who also was guilty, but he got off) were big scandals in their day. carruth was mocked in the original kings of comedy.

Avery and Green were both lousy lousy picks. Avery was never going to be an every down back. He never even became a third down back. Just crap. Green was brittle in college and he proved to be brittle in the pros. They just did not do their homework on him. Stupid pick.

PhinsPhan said:
John Avery was trash. This was yet another one of those JJ picks trying to find the answer to the phins lack of a running game. He now plays in the CFL and is a star. He was always very fast, he just had questionable everything else.

I happen to be a hardcore CFL fan, and Avery is a below average back in the league. A lot of people love him because he got drafted so high in the NFL, but he isn't an elite CFLer or anything.

ih8brady said:
him and Ray Lewis(who also was guilty, but he got off) were big scandals in their day. carruth was mocked in the original kings of comedy.
I knew about the Lewis scandal.

Yeah, that Yatil Green deal sucked. I was really looking forward to seeing him play with Marino. Just goes to show, you never know when you're going to blow somthing out, or whatever.

Avery was a reach for JJ. My personal opinion is that it was a JJ ego pick. Avery should've never been drafted that high. Seems I do remember one draft publication saying that Avery could've been the steal of the draft that year....*heh*..

He was fast, which was a rarity among our RBs at the time. That was a dark era for Dolphin RBs. It wasn't too long prior to that year when our leading backs were named "Irving" and, "Bernie". That's never a good sign.

Unemploymernt has Avery and as for Green. He is not a has been, he is a never was with a knee that just said no to the NFL

speedy1383 said:
Avery and Green were both lousy lousy picks. Avery was never going to be an every down back. He never even became a third down back. Just crap. Green was brittle in college and he proved to be brittle in the pros. They just did not do their homework on him. Stupid pick.

Ridiculous hindsight analysis. Green was not brittle in college. He was a a 6' 3" WR with 4.3 speed.
In his first practice he was reacting to an underthrown ball when he planted his leg and it got stuck in the turf. It blew his knee out. The injury was so severe that they had to use a cadaveric graft to repair one of the ligaments. It apparently never healed properly, and the next year that same ligament tore again. Just plain bad luck. Nothing more, nothing less.
Avery, on the other hand was an asinine pick on JJ's part. JJ thought he was getting the second coming of Warrick Dunn.

Back
Top Bottom