Who was John Avery? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who was John Avery?

Avery was fast and had glimpses of his ability on the field. He started out falling asleep in team meetings because he stayed up late playing video games. He lacked the maturity early on. I saw him make a catch for a TD from Marino (his only I believe) where he reached back at full speed (throw was behind him) and caught it. I also saw him short arm at a catch at Denver the next year and he was benched and traded about 2 weeks later. He finally realized what lost chance he had given up when he went to the XFL. He was a star there:sidelol: and got hurt. Now the CFL. I believe ole Mr. Collins was in that year with Avery.:lol: So much for JJ great recruitng.

Green not only got hurt his 1st year in training camp, but the 2nd year also. He finally did play in some games. Dan made a comment about him, that he matched his name. He must have not learned anything when he was hurt about the mental side of the game.

orginalfinfan said:
Avery was fast and had glimpses of his ability on the field. He started out falling asleep in team meetings because he stayed up late playing video games. He lacked the maturity early on. I saw him make a catch for a TD from Marino (his only I believe) where he reached back at full speed (throw was behind him) and caught it. I also saw him short arm at a catch at Denver the next year and he was benched and traded about 2 weeks later. He finally realized what lost chance he had given up when he went to the XFL. He was a star there:sidelol: and got hurt. Now the CFL. I believe ole Mr. Collins was in that year with Avery.:lol: So much for JJ great recruitng.

Green not only got hurt his 1st year in training camp, but the 2nd year also. He finally did play in some games. Dan made a comment about him, that he matched his name. He must have not learned anything when he was hurt about the mental side of the game.
Actually JJ Johnson (yet another fabulous JJ running back pick) was drafted the year that we got Collins.

i actually work out in the same gym as john avery....i see him all the time...the guy is hilarious and always putting on a show...but i cant tell you how many times ive wanted to go up to him and say "bust! why did you have to be a busy?! you could have taken us to the super bowl!" then i fall back to reality and let it slide off my shoulders...

The really funny thing about Green was that he was always injured in college, too. The Dolphins brought him in for a pre-draft workout. When asked about him, Jimmy Johnson made a comment about how he was impressive, but he can't help your team when he's on the sidelines. Green slipped a little in the draft, and when the Dolphins drafted him, JJ gloated. JJ made it sound like his pre-draft comments were meant to downgrade the opinion on Green, hoping to make him slip to the Dolphins. He got his wish. And Green was always hurt.

dolfanmark said:
The really funny thing about Green was that he was always injured in college, too. The Dolphins brought him in for a pre-draft workout. When asked about him, Jimmy Johnson made a comment about how he was impressive, but he can't help your team when he's on the sidelines. Green slipped a little in the draft, and when the Dolphins drafted him, JJ gloated. JJ made it sound like his pre-draft comments were meant to downgrade the opinion on Green, hoping to make him slip to the Dolphins. He got his wish. And Green was always hurt.

Green was not injured a lot in college...I don't know where you folks are getting this. He did have some nicks and bumps like all players do, but never any serious injuries. It was not a bad pick, it was bad luck that he got hurt so severely in his first TC and then the surgical repair didn't hold and he tore the same one again...He never really regained anything after that...he was very fast and very productive at UM...

The big thing about JJ drafting him was that he was from UM. Prior to that, Shues never seemed to draft any UM folks even tho all the local fans wanted him too.

As for Avery, he was a fast scat back type but could never break the lineup here. I think he was traded to Denver after his second year and then cut by them...He was the classic Wanny/JJ first round pick...

TAK said:
We drafted him with our first pick in 1998 and we only had him on our team for a year then he disappeared. Did he get injured or something or did we pick another bust?

EDIT: Also who was Yatil Green?

(I am looking over our past draft picks)

have you been living in a bomb shelter for the last 10 years? The internet will get you up to date in days.

TAK said:
We drafted him with our first pick in 1998 and we only had him on our team for a year then he disappeared. Did he get injured or something or did we pick another bust?

John Avery was a colossal reach and failure at running back for jimmy johnson. what a doofus pick that was.

yatil green went to UM and was a tremendous talent, but injured his knee in camp in his first year, and then injured it again the following year, and didn't make the field until his 3rd or 4th year, and never made it.

jlfin said:
Ridiculous hindsight analysis. Green was not brittle in college. He was a a 6' 3" WR with 4.3 speed.
In his first practice he was reacting to an underthrown ball when he planted his leg and it got stuck in the turf. It blew his knee out. The injury was so severe that they had to use a cadaveric graft to repair one of the ligaments. It apparently never healed properly, and the next year that same ligament tore again. Just plain bad luck. Nothing more, nothing less.
Avery, on the other hand was an asinine pick on JJ's part. JJ thought he was getting the second coming of Warrick Dunn.

I agree with you. Hindsight is 20-20 on Greene. But Avery never was gonna be good. Not quite fast enough to run outside. Not strong enough to make it inside of course. Good for the CFL and XFL. That's all. Dumb pick by a dumb coach.
Greene was something to be excited about. The few times he was on the field he showed he could have been what Marino needed. Someone who could get open and actually catch the big gains.

I remember reading he could give MArino "Super Duper flashbacks" referring to Mark Duper from the days of the big passing game with Clayton too (just in case the young guy who started this thread doesn't know them. Hey good to know we actually picked up a fan during the "dark times" when JJ took over!

P.S. I know Avery went to Denver too after us. Never did a whole lot there either. Now if you can't make it behing that O-Line, back when they chop blocked everyone, you aren't NFL material.

LarryFinFan said:
Green was not injured a lot in college...I don't know where you folks are getting this. He did have some nicks and bumps like all players do, but never any serious injuries. It was not a bad pick, it was bad luck that he got hurt so severely in his first TC and then the surgical repair didn't hold and he tore the same one again...He never really regained anything after that...he was very fast and very productive at UM...

The big thing about JJ drafting him was that he was from UM. Prior to that, Shues never seemed to draft any UM folks even tho all the local fans wanted him too.

As for Avery, he was a fast scat back type but could never break the lineup here. I think he was traded to Denver after his second year and then cut by them...He was the classic Wanny/JJ first round pick...

This says otherwise this is a comment made right after the draft.

"At the combine in Indianapolis, he ran a 4.4 in the 40, had a vertical jump of more than 40 inches and set a combine record in the broad jump with a jump of 10'10". He is 6'2 and 7/8 inches tall and weighs in at 200 pounds. He can outjump smaller defensive backs and still come down with the ball.
My Comments:
Clearly, I think that JJ is looking for a Michael Irvin type playmaker. The knock on Green has been that he has never played a full season without being injured and he has a history of problems with his hamstring and groin muscles. However, he has great speed, good hands and is a tremendous athlete."

JJ Johnson and John Avery were both SEC running backs who had decent college careers but showed flashes of brilliance against big-time opponents. Just enough to make Jimmy Johnson reach on them.

Y. Green missed almost half of his college starts due to injury...not sure why people are saying he didn't have an injury problem before we drafted him. His injuries in college were nothing like the one he suffered in training camp though. Seems like he always had an ankle sprain or muscle strain or something of that nature.

dolfanmark said:

Yeah, they were both Jimmy Johnson picks. It seemed at times that JJ was more into getting 'value' than getting talent...

He really liked getting 'gems' in the late rounds, but didn't seem as interested in just getting the best available player in the higher rounds. He liked to trade down too much....

:dolphins:

TAK said:
Who was John Avery?

No, I'm sorry the correct answer was: Who was no one?
(In response to the $200 Daily Double question: This player drafted by Jimmy Johnson to play offense for the Miami Dolphins actually had a career.)

TAK said:

I'm going to assume that you are really too young to remember this and are not joking with this post.

All I have to say is, if this is the case, be happy you were too young to remember.

This is like going to a meeting of Titanic survivers and asking them if they had ever heard of the White Star Line.

TAK said:
Wow this draft crap is interesting.

I NEVER KNEW ABOUT RAE CARRUTH!

Holy crap he killed his pregnant girlfriend and is now in jail after a promising NFL start. That is freaking crazy.

Welcome to the fan base dude. Avery was a pick by JJ. He was fast as could be. He just couldn't hack it as a NFL RB. He'd try to hit the hole and end up getting knocked back. Then JJ picked up a guy named Cecil Collins. They called him Cecil the Diesel. He could have been a contender. But, he broke into his neighbors house and was arrested.

Green could've been a monster. He finally came back from injury and re-injured himself on the damned pitchers mound during a Dolphins game.

Back
Top Bottom