Who was John Avery? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who was John Avery?

TAK said:
We drafted him with our first pick in 1998 and we only had him on our team for a year then he disappeared. Did he get injured or something or did we pick another bust?

EDIT: Also who was Yatil Green?

(I am looking over our past draft picks)

Avery is in the CFL with the Toronto Argonauts he is undersized and is always injured...

yatil got injutred like on his first scrimmage...(joke) and nrever reached any potential....

Batman13 said:
Yatil Green= The reason we didn't stay at our pick and draft Randy Moss.

But we will never know how good Yatil would have been. Potentiallly he could have been great, better than Moss even. That is just how it goes, and what makes the draft so good or frustrating

TAK said:
Who was John Avery?

:egads:

Some things are better off forgotten and unspoken.

The name Avery is one of those things.
Desperation pick by Jimmy J.
He was determined or should I say desperate to get a RB to compliment Marino.

Clouded judgement would be an understatement on that pick.

I believe Avery made it back to the league for a year after his XFL stint with the Vikings as a fairly effective kick/punt returner as well.

Minnphin said:
I believe Avery made it back to the league for a year after his XFL stint with the Vikings as a fairly effective kick/punt returner as well.

He also played with the Broncos too didn't he?

Whitedolphin54 said:
But we will never know how good Yatil would have been. Potentiallly he could have been great, better than Moss even. That is just how it goes, and what makes the draft so good or frustrating

Yatil did have all the tools.
His vert. was off the charts if I remember correctly.
Wish I had the numbers still.

Guy couldn't even stand on the sideline without getting hurt though!

According to the papers, when Jimmy called him he made him promise he'd stay healthy if they picked him.
Remember to remind me not to ever use that tactic on anyone! :lol:

John Bosa was a similar pick.
Guy had all the tools to be a great player but from day 1 could'nt stay healthy in the NFL.

Trekbiz said:
Yatil did have all the tools.
His vert. was off the charts if I remember correctly.
Wish I had the numbers still.

Guy couldn't even stand on the sideline without getting hurt though!

According to the papers, when Jimmy called him he made him promise he'd stay healthy if they picked him.
Remember to remind me not to ever use that tactic on anyone! :lol:

John Bosa was a similar pick.
Guy had all the tools to be a great player but from day 1 could'nt stay healthy in the NFL.

Ur right, Bosa looked good when he was fit. I've still got tapes of him. In one game he had a couple of sacks and stopped everything that come his way. People keep saying that he and Green were busts, but that is not true, they just weren't healthy.

Avery was a decent RB with speed from Southern Miss. He had great speed (he made it back to the NFL 2 years ago as a return man for Minny), but he had no moves (evident with all the times a kicker or a punter would take him down). He scored 1 TD with us, a swing pass from the 5. He could not beat out Kareem Abdul-Jabbar as the number 1 guy, and wasn't even our 3rd down back half of the time.

Yatil Green-Hard worker, had all the tools. but sufferred a freak injury in TC and never got a chance to prove himself.

also, Yatil isn't the reason we didn't draft Moss, Larry Shannon was.

both drafts could have been considered utter failures had it not been for the fact we got so many contributors for the best defenses we've had in the last decade. (Madison, JT, Rodgers, Brommell, Surtain, and Mixon)

Whitedolphin54 said:
Ur right, Bosa looked good when he was fit. I've still got tapes of him. In one game he had a couple of sacks and stopped everything that come his way. People keep saying that he and Green were busts, but that is not true, they just weren't healthy.

Bosa was a good guy too.
It's too bad.

He had his boat in the same marina as mine.
He had a cigarrette boat with the Phins Logo right on the deck of it. Talked to him any time I saw him and he was really nice. Talked about returning to the NFL a couple of times but I never saw it happen.

Trekbiz said:
Bosa was a good guy too.
It's too bad.

He had his boat in the same marina as mine.
He had a cigarrette boat with the Phins Logo right on the deck of it. Talked to him any time I saw him and he was really nice. Talked about returning to the NFL a couple of times but I never saw it happen.

What hes up to now Trek

Whitedolphin54 said:
What hes up to now Trek

I have absolutely no idea bud.
That was a long time ago.
We weren't drinking buddies, I just ran into him at the docks now and then.

Trekbiz said:
I have absolutely no idea bud.
That was a long time ago.
We weren't drinking buddies, I just ran into him at the docks now and then.

He was a big guy, I hope u didn't run into him too hard :lol:

ChambersWI said:
also, Yatil isn't the reason we didn't draft Moss, Larry Shannon was.

both drafts could have been considered utter failures had it not been for the fact we got so many contributors for the best defenses we've had in the last decade. (Madison, JT, Rodgers, Brommell, Surtain, and Mixon)

I disagree with this. because if I remember right it was Avery who we picked instead of going for Moss. We didn't draft Shannon until the 3rd rd in 98 if I remember right.

marinotoclayton said:
I disagree with this. because if I remember right it was Avery who we picked instead of going for Moss. We didn't draft Shannon until the 3rd rd in 98 if I remember right.

correct, but we picked him with one of the picks we got when trading back, and JJ said that Shannon was one of the reasons he was willing to pass on Moss.

Back
Top Bottom