Who was our first round pick this year? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who was our first round pick this year?

Then outside of really special players like Aaron Donald you must be disappointed quite a bit.
Heck! In the most important game of his life, the SB, how many TLFs did he have?
Seeing as how they lost ... maybe not the best example you could’ve picked.

tenor.gif

Seeing as how they lost ... maybe not the best example you could’ve picked.

tenor.gif

That's not the point at all.
The OP didn't preface his point with "seeing as how they lost"
The OP point is he's not impressed with the rookie due to lack of TFL. Suggesting his creteria for being impressed by DTs are TFLs.
I wanted to take his point and apply the context.

Then outside of really special players like Aaron Donald you must be disappointed quite a bit.
Heck! In the most important game of his life, the SB, how many TLFs did he have?
We spent a first round pick on a defensive lineman. Judging him by how many plays he makes behind the line of scrimmage, the kind of disruptive plays that end drives, seems like a good standard. He has no sacks and no tfl.

If a dt doesn’t make plays in the backfield then he’s just another Earl Mitchell.

I guess the fact he has no TFL in his first 5 games means he'll never be any good. I really don't know how good or bad Wilkins will be for us at this point but to make up your mind after 5 games while playing in a horrible team is pretty much agenda driven imo. I'm rooting for the guy and like I said, we don't know how he'll turn out to be but I'm willing to wait a bit longer than just 5 games.

We spent a first round pick on a defensive lineman. Judging him by how many plays he makes behind the line of scrimmage, the kind of disruptive plays that end drives, seems like a good standard. He has no sacks and no tfl.

If a dt doesn’t make plays in the backfield then he’s just another Earl Mitchell.

I think fans get too into stat sheet numbers and metrics used by sites like PFF for their own good. When it comes to OL/DL play it’s all about the plays you don’t see unless you are specifically watching for it. Wilkins was a safe pick and he has played well for what his role is.

Our team is basically practice squad players, so it’s hard to expect rookies to come in and look like gods. I know people want to call this an evaluation year, but it really isn’t. Our team has no talent and it’s hard to see what we have in younger players because of it. This year is all about who buys into the long term plan for the team.

NYJ and Buf eh? It's almost as if bad front offices devote high draft picks to low-impact players... weird right?

I don't think you would find anyone who would have said neither of those two were not top 10 players. I was pointing out that DTs rarely have a Aaron Donald or Suh type impact year one.

I don't think you would find anyone who would have said neither of those two were not top 10 players. I was pointing out that DTs rarely have a Aaron Donald or Suh type impact year one.

The majority will NEVER have Aaron Donald/Suh impact.
But that doesn't mean they aren't good players and unworthy of being draftedat their position.
I think they OP is using some metrics that i find unfair and doesn't tell they whole story in measuring that positions impact.

While I'm not disappointed in the lack of impact plays by Wilkins considering the garbage around him, but special players aren't the only ones who get tackle for loss. 55 DT's this year have at least 1 tfl. Our very own John Jenkins has 1 and he's not even a starter. Jordan Phillips has 6 tfl and he's far from special.

Last edited:
I’d just like to see him flash something really high level. Don’t think we’ve seen that either.

just something that projects a lot more meat on the bone. Top 15 pick worthy upside.

While I'm not disappointed in the lack of impact plays by Wilkins considering the garbage around him, special players aren't the only ones who get tackle for loss. 55 DT's this year have at least 1 tfl. Our very own John Jenkins has 1 and he's not even a starter. Jordan Phillips has 6 tfl and he's far from special.

Curious, In order to bring up a stat like that don't those players, their level of comp, their team have to be somewhat comparable?

Are the Dolphins TEAM "reasonably" comparable to those other teams and their situation?

Unless, you're suggesting it doesn't matter. A DT should be able to generate TFL/Sacks no matter what?

It's a TEAM game concept is absolutely trash. It doesn't really matter?

Curious, In order to bring up a stat like that don't those players, their level of comp, their team have to be somewhat comparable?

Are the Dolphins TEAM "reasonably" comparable to those other teams and their situation?

Unless, you're suggesting it doesn't matter. A DT should be able to generate TFL/Sacks no matter what?

It's a TEAM game concept is absolutely trash. It doesn't really matter?

Well you implied only special players get TFL the fact that 55 DT's currently have at least 1 means getting a TFL is not really all that special. John Jenkins got 1 TFL on this very Dolphins teams as a non starter and as a lesser talented player so is that comparable enough?

Yes it's a team game, you need the team to play well to get a win but that doesn't mean an individual can't have a good game, good QTR, good drive, good play, or a good year on a bad team it's happened throughout NFL history. Unless you're suggesting even the worst teams in NFL history didn't have 1 single good play which is all 1 TFL is.

But like I said I'm not disappointed yet.

Back
Top Bottom