Who was our first round pick this year? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who was our first round pick this year?

Well you implied only special players get TFL the fact that 55 DT's currently have at least 1 means getting a TFL is not really all that special. John Jenkins got 1 TFL on this very Dolphins teams as a non starter and as a lesser talented player so is that comparable enough?

Yes it's a team game, you need the team to play well to get a win but that doesn't mean an individual can't have a good game, good QTR, good drive, good play, or a good year on a bad team it's happened throughout NFL history. Unless you're suggesting even the worst teams in NFL history didn't have 1 single good play which is all 1 TFL is.

But like I said I'm not disappointed yet.

You're all over the place, playing both sides of the conversation, which is understandable when your intial point is based on quicksand.

iu

I guess the fact he has no TFL in his first 5 games means he'll never be any good. I really don't know how good or bad Wilkins will be for us at this point but to make up your mind after 5 games while playing in a horrible team is pretty much agenda driven imo. I'm rooting for the guy and like I said, we don't know how he'll turn out to be but I'm willing to wait a bit longer than just 5 games.

If he doesn’t bite as a puppy, he won’t bite...

I wasn’t a fan of the pick. Nothing against him I just wouldn’t take a DT that high unless it’s a Suh type talent. DTs could normally be had pretty cheap on the market. Just my opinion

This.

And I thought it was obvious watching Clemson that Dexter Lawrence (3 years younger btw) would be the superior pro. So far, albeit very early on, he has shown way more flashes.

Wilkins should be solid but I don't see the potential to be a truly game changing defensive player. Safe pick.

Last edited:
I think Christian WIlkins is a fine pick, Its hard to look good on defense when your offense is so inept you play about 70 percent of the game no defensive player will look spectacular.. I semi Agree with Dexter Lawrence having more upside physically but I think Wilkins will grow into the position by next season but we really need some big bully in the middle to pair with him..

Like i said our defense in the late 90's was anchored by big strong DT's.. Tim Bowens,Norman Hand, Daryl Gardener to me that is where the success for our defense was made those were some behemoth DT's that ate up booth guards and a Center that allowed Zach Thomas to absolutely hunt down Ball carriers in the run game.

Wilkins really needs to bulk up this off season in the weight room but with his smarts and work ethic i believe in him.. I am intrigued by John Jenkins he is a massive DT but I'd like to add another big boy in FA or the Draft to solidfy the position.. Never thought Godchaux,Taylor, were strong enough to be solid run anchors and i think we need to move on.

So let’s rely on Grier, an incompetent moron that whiffed on this draft, whiffed on Rosen and basically is straight garbage, to draft with all of this draft capital and horrible coach? Drafting a third round DT in the first but let’s trade a SAFTEY with elite upside for what will end up being a lower pick than we used? Yeah, they’re gonna **** up this draft

And I’m all about building the trenches but o-line was clearly the higher priority and that type of DT can be had for much cheaper.

I do wonder if the move up to grab Dion Jordan has led this team to be uber conservative in the draft. I think that was the last time the team went and attempted to draft potential. They got burned there and ever since then, the team has looked at "safe" players, guy who do incredibly well in the interviews, guy that they really like as a person. That is the issue, they start to draft the person and not the player.

I'm sure Wilkins will have a nice career in the NFL...He's a smart. player, works hard, and has above average physical tools. Honestly, he is a good pick for the "Patriots Way" defense. The issue is, if you are going into the season to tank, why not take the dynamic player with the high ceiling.

You had a couple of choices...grab a lineman that could be used to protect your future QB, or grab a dynamic playmaker and see what he can do. Instead they played it safe and grabbed the good dude, who works hard.

That strategy worked out very when they picked Charles Harris...

The thing about Wilkins is, he is not going to be a high impact, unstoppable Suh type talent, but what he brings could be far more important then anything Suh ever brought if he reaches his potential.

Wilkin's biggest trait is he's a natuaral leader, and he helps make the players around him better (It's the Wilt Chamberlain vs Bill Russell argument...Wilkins can show his worth after he gets better players around him).

If Wilkins reaches his potential, he will not be the guy that has 3+ sack games, but the guy that will be part of a line that has a 7+ sack games...He will not be the guy that will have huge TFL or even TPG numbers, but instead will the guy who will be part of a Defence that has high TFL or three and out type games.

I am not here saying that he was that right pick or wrong pick...A great pick, or a wasted pick. I am saying he's a rookie on a very talent lacking defensive team who's best quality is his brain and leadership, give him a little time before calling him a bust.

If we had some quality defensive ends I think we’d see a lot more from Wilkins. But doesn’t Wilkins have second most QB pressured behind Biegel?

I mean, if the defensive ends are trash, doesn't that leave the opposing team to stick 2 guys on 1 guy? Regardless, I'd like to see him play better because I swear I almost never hear his name during the game and that can't be a good thing.

I wanted Brian Burns, and to me the DE position made more sense. Burns has great character as well. Now I see all these articles on Brian Burns, how he's causing havoc, how the skys the limit, and think of course we didn't draft him. Also, our defense is supposed have players that play multiple rolls. Well Burns has speed for Days....imagine what he could do even outside of attacking the QB. But.....nope. Grier misses again.

Back
Top Bottom