who was the worst dolphin player. | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

who was the worst dolphin player.

Sadly many to choose from. Billy Milner and Andrew Greene, Shula trying to duplicate Webb/Sims, those two stank bigtime.

koalaman13 said:
Sammy Smith. Fumbled twice in one game, but each was on the 1 yard line from opponents endzone. I THINK it was the Jets, not sure

it wasn;t the same game. it was back to back games. first game he was going in for a td against the jets and fumbled. the very next week he was going for a td against the chiefs and fumbled. both of them cost us the game.

godfater21 said:
it wasn;t the same game. it was back to back games. first game he was going in for a td against the jets and fumbled. the very next week he was going for a td against the chiefs and fumbled. both of them cost us the game.
He may have fumbled against the Jets (don`t remember that game), but he definitely fumbled in consecutive games at the 1yd line against the Chiefs and Oilers.

Uwe VOn Shommen. Watching the 84 steelers playoff game, he was 9 for 19 that season with a long of 37 yards.

These days, he would be cut immediately.

When I think of "Worst Dolphins ever", I think of guys that were "crapass regulars" for several years. They werent necessarilly former first round busts that didnt pan out. No, they were the no-talent assclowns that somehow made the team year-after-year-after-year. They were the players opposing teams schemed around. They were the ones that were NEVER able to make a key stop on third down. They were the guys that had subpar athletic ability to match their witless understanding of the game:

1) I think Paul Lankford was the worst. He couldnt cover anybody. Yet every year, inexplicably, he was back in the starting lineup. People clump William Judson and him in the same sentence, but Judson, while crappy, was at least semi-athletic. Lankford was slow and uncoordinated and probably cost us more games in the mid-80's than any other Dolphin. Yet you know how long he was a Dolphin? NINE years. From 1982-1991. :(

2) Our Defensive Linemen in the 80's were all awful. So bad in fact that I dont know who deserves the "credit" for being the worst. Brian Sochia was admired by some, but he deserves a ton of blame for being part of an awful DL for five years. TJ Turner was possibly the most underwhelming Edge rusher in team history yet manned the position from 1986-1992. Jackie Cline stunk up the joint for three years and played regularly.

3) The worst player of the last 10 years IMO was Mark Royals. I know he was a punter and all, but his lack of talent was so clear to the naked eye that I think he deserves some indivdual recognition in this thread.

Royals was definitely worse than Klaus Wilmsemyer. Worst. Punter. Ever.

Mod Edit: Hopefully that was just a typo.

fishbanger said:
JAMAR FLETCHER!!!!!!

We could have had Brees on our roster!

Tht doesnt matter anywayz. Bress would have died here. With how Miami fans treat QB's, he woulda been run out of town.

phinMikeDC said:
Special Teams Ace Lamont Brightful
Haha that is a good one. :lol: Someone should make a poll with the most popular answers and then have us all vote. I still say John Avery is one of the worst if not the worst.

Surferosa said:
When I think of "Worst Dolphins ever", I think of guys that were "crapass regulars" for several years. They werent necessarilly former first round busts that didnt pan out. No, they were the no-talent assclowns that somehow made the team year-after-year-after-year. They were the players opposing teams schemed around. They were the ones that were NEVER able to make a key stop on third down. They were the guys that had subpar athletic ability to match their witless understanding of the game:

1) I think Paul Lankford was the worst. He couldnt cover anybody. Yet every year, inexplicably, he was back in the starting lineup. People clump William Judson and him in the same sentence, but Judson, while crappy, was at least semi-athletic. Lankford was slow and uncoordinated and probably cost us more games in the mid-80's than any other Dolphin. Yet you know how long he was a Dolphin? NINE years. From 1982-1991. :(

2) Our Defensive Linemen in the 80's were all awful. So bad in fact that I dont know who deserves the "credit" for being the worst. Brian Sochia was admired by some, but he deserves a ton of blame for being part of an awful DL for five years. TJ Turner was possibly the most underwhelming Edge rusher in team history yet manned the position from 1986-1992. Jackie Cline stunk up the joint for three years and played regularly.

3) The worst player of the last 10 years IMO was Mark Royals. I know he was a punter and all, but his lack of talent was so clear to the naked eye that I think he deserves some indivdual recognition in this thread.

That's funny Surf, I was just going to write how instaed of one player, you have to consider a string of players at one position, and how long they stuck around - and i was going to use Cornerback in the 80's-90's as an example.

I don't know that any winning team had worse luck or judgment in the draft and in free agency than the Phins in those decades. The list of duds is endless; but you would be hard-pressed to find a string of cornerbacks as pathetic as Paul Lankford, Bill Judson, Reyna Thmpson, et al.

It was disgusting; I could forgive Shula's failures in judging Offensive talent - for instance, his horrible choices at RB. But to see him draft Shipp after Kumerow after Bosa, and all the bad choices made elsewhere on D, was excrutiating.

He so needed a good personnel man like he had in Beathard and Joe Thomas in the 70's, but he stubbornly clung to his way of doing things for far too long. It's the opnly knock I'll make against God.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd have to say that the worst player I've ever seen start for Miami was Terrell Buckley - while he wasn't the worst, per say, he was definitally the most infuriating to watch. With T-Buck at CB you were guaranteed to get beat deep at least one time a game.

Others that I would consider terrible would of course include Jay Fiedler and Yatil Green (did he ever actually play a game?).

eclaycamp said:
I'd have to say that the worst player I've ever seen start for Miami was Terrell Buckley - while he wasn't the worst, per say, he was definitally the most infuriating to watch. With T-Buck at CB you were guaranteed to get beat deep at least one time a game.

Others that I would consider terrible would of course include Jay Fiedler and Yatil Green (did he ever actually play a game?).
Wow I can't believe that you would put Buckley as one of the worst. He may have gambled alot but he also came up with alot of turnovers. ;) Fiedler was not the worst ever. He played okay for his ability. I still say there are a lot worst then those two. As for Green I would agree with you but he was injured with 2 blown knees. I wouldn't say that makes him the worst just maybe one of the most injury proned.

Back
Top Bottom