Who Were The Biggest Busts In Dolphin History??... | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who Were The Biggest Busts In Dolphin History??...

phinphan11 said:
He was the coach that inherited JJ's playas. If you remember, the team went farther south each season. The more he brought in his players and coaches on board, the worse off the phins got.
Quoted for truth.

The only player I would add to the initial list was Rick Graf. Don Shula didn't have a very good defensive talent scout in the late 80's, or early 90's for that matter. We needed D-line and linebacker help badly and he came up with Bosa, Kumerow and Graf...sheesh.

poppy said:
I.M.O. its between Jackie Shipp and Sammie Smith. Mainly, because it wasn't injuries that did them in. They were just not as good as advertised. On top of that Shipp was supposed to be the defensive anchor for the Marino years, and Sammie was supposed to be solution to the running game woes during that same era. We all know that the reason for the lack of championships during the Marino years was a poor defense and a lack of a running game. These 2 1st round busts are the culprit.

Jackie Shipp was a great player and prospect in Don Shula's mind alone. I was a huge Oklahoma fan at that time and am still astonished Shipp was drafted anywhere near that high, even on the first day. OU had two name LBs the season prior, Jackie Shipp and Thomas Benson. Both were big, strong and fast. Then you watched the games and they had no clue where the ball was. They would look very athletic jumping onto the pile after someone else made the tackle.

Then you arrive at the workout warrior brainwash events like the combine and individual workouts. Long before a Jeff Lageman or a Mike Mamula we bit on Jackie Shipp, who must have looked marvelous running between the cones. It would have been bad enough taking him in one of the early rounds, but trading a trio of 3rds to move up in round one was world class masochism, Rick Spielman 20 years before Rick Spielman.

Jackie Shipp came to Miami and worked his butt off. As Shula admitted he tried his damndest but just wasn't good enough, and never was.

ROCHESTERPHISH said:
I Would Have To Say...
Bosa
Kummerow
Sammie Smith
Lorenzo Hampton
Troy Stradford
Randell Hill
Eric Green
Ferrell Edmonds
Jackie Shipp
Wanny
-
Well, I don't think that any list should include players with injuries, career threatening or otherwise, as this seems quite unfair; who knows what they would have done if they had been healthy. Biggest busts? Well there have been some shocking 1st & 2nd round draft picks for sure: Jackie Shipp, Rick Graf, Eddie Blake, Audrey Beavers, Andrew Greene, Eric Kumerow, Sammie Smith, Billy Milner, John Avery, J.J Johnson...

zachseau13 said:
There was a cheerleader on the squad a few years ago that might have had the biggest bust in Dolphins history.

Forgot her name.

Hope this helps
:lol:

Goin` Deep said:
What about the guy we traded Sammie Smith for (Bobby Humphrey)? The guy had two 1,000 yd. seasons in Denver, we get him, he does squat, and he`s out of the league two years later. Musta really liked the Peruvian marching powder South Florida had to offer.

Wasn't humphrey second in receptions one of those years?

How can everyone forget the worst Dolphin RB ever....
JJ JOHNSON !!
At least John Avery played pretty good in the XFL.
clear.gif

dolfreak said:
How can everyone forget the worst drafted Dolphin RB ever....
JJ JOHNSON !!
At least John Avery played pretty good in the XFL.
clear.gif
Look back at post 42, I mentioned him, but no one else did????

dolfreak said:
How can everyone forget the worst Dolphin RB ever....
JJ JOHNSON
I'm still trying to figure out how someone thinks a 2nd Rd RB (39th) is a bigger bust than a RB taken in the 9th slot (Sammie Smith)

RWhitney014 said:
That was going to be mine...either him or Cecil Collins, who was a bust mainly because Randy Moss was still on the board, but we picked him even though we knew he'd be in jail.:cry:

you crazy, Cecil Collins was a fifth round pick, RAndy was long gone, if htey even were in the same draft

bright-light said:
Well, I don't think that any list should include players with injuries, career threatening or otherwise, as this seems quite unfair; who knows what they would have done if they had been healthy.

I completely agree with that. A player like Yatil Green has no place in a thread like this.

Back
Top Bottom