Who Were The Biggest Busts In Dolphin History??... | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who Were The Biggest Busts In Dolphin History??...

gofins said:
Except for Boston's roided "b1tch tits":rofl3:
I dont know, thats kinda close.

Biggest bust I guess would be Avery. A lot of people loved the pick cause he was JJ's choice but did nothing.

Billy Milner, JJ Johnson, Fletcher, Smith, Krummerow get dishonorable mention

Dphins4me said:
Again how can anyone list Milner as the biggest bust when 1st off he was drafted at the bottom of Rd. 1. Second, he only played one year for Miami and was traded for a TE that started for several years after that. The only reason he was trade is because he did not fit the new coaching scheme.

How Milner is a larger bust over players like Sammie Smith who was drafed No. 9 overall do confuse me.

Let's recap some history. Millner couldn't keep his spot in the starting line up here (very brief period of time) or crack the roster with the Rams. He was out of the league shortly after being traded because no one else wanted him! That proves that it wan't the coaching scheme. It was him. He was a bust in every sense of the word. Thank God that Jimmy had enough intelligence to trade him when he did. This does not negate the fact that he was a gigantic bust though...and we're talking about a first round pick who proved right from the start that he didn't belong in the NFL.

Second, I am not debating that Sammy Smith wasn't a bust. Of course he was! Look at my list and you'll see him there. But remember that he showed some flashes (briefly I admit) of potential...He once ran for 800+ yards in a season which is crap but some people were on the bandwagon of hope for him...while at a different point in time, Millner couldn't start for more than a few games at the most...in his entire brief career!...Sammy's problem was that despite having a huge amount of talent (I watched him many times while he was at Fl. State), his lazy arrrse wouldn't let him work hard during the offseason and he never developed his game...while Millner's problem was that he didn't have enough talent to make it. Everytime I watched him, he was on his arrrse or missing a block. Shortly after he got cut by the Rams, Millner was out of the NFL. You'd expect that from a 7th round pick but not from a first (25th overall).

In my opinion, Sammy had the natural born talents to make something of his career but chose to squander it away while Millner never showed that he had the talent. Both were gigantic busts. We've just got different ways of defining bust. From my perspective, Sammy had the talent and that's why he was draft worthy while Millner should have never ever ever been drafted (well maybe at a much lower round).

What about the guy we traded Sammie Smith for (Bobby Humphrey)? The guy had two 1,000 yd. seasons in Denver, we get him, he does squat, and he`s out of the league two years later. Musta really liked the Peruvian marching powder South Florida had to offer.

Timmy54 said:
Yatel Green, Cecil Collins, Avery, L. Philips.

how are Cecil Collins and L. Philips busts? One was a 5th round pick and the other was a free agent.

Boik14 said:
I would bet on the cheerleaders being the bustiest phins of all time :)

Dang, beat me too it. I was too busy, looking up links to support my argument on the matter, to post. :D

RWhitney014 said:
That was going to be mine...either him or Cecil Collins, who was a bust mainly because Randy Moss was still on the board, but we picked him even though we knew he'd be in jail.:cry:

Cecil Collins was picked in the 5th round buddie

1.Sanders Shriver 2.Jackie Shipp 3.Yatil Green 4.John Avery 5.One of the last tackles Shula over reached for 6. Eddie Blake

KuchaMucha said:
Let's recap some history. Millner couldn't keep his spot in the starting line up here (very brief period of time) or crack the roster with the Rams. He was out of the league shortly after being traded because no one else wanted him! That proves that it wan't the coaching scheme. It was him. He was a bust in every sense of the word. Thank God that Jimmy had enough intelligence to trade him when he did. This does not negate the fact that he was a gigantic bust though...and we're talking about a first round pick who proved right from the start that he didn't belong in the NFL.
First off Milner was a OL drafted at the bottom of Rd. 1. Usually that does not scream instant starter in the NFL. Milner started from Game 8 to the end of the season. A total of 9 games.

So just when did he not hold his starting job?

JJ came in a needed a powerful tackle to execute his running game. He signed James Brown. Milner was not a run blocker, he was a pass blocker.

Oct 01, 1996: -- Milner Traded

However, this year the Dolphins traded for James Brown and Brown had beaten out Milner for the starting position at right tackle due to his superior run blocking.

He injured his neck with the Rams and his career was over, not because no one else wanted him but because he was physically unable to play.

KuchaMucha said:
while Millner's problem was that he didn't have enough talent to make it. Everytime I watched him, he was on his arrrse or missing a block. Shortly after he got cut by the Rams, Millner was out of the NFL. You'd expect that from a 7th round pick but not from a first (25th overall).
Again, you must not know that the Rams cut him when he injured his neck and was no longer able to play. If memory serves me correct, he did have a spinal condition (Curved Spine) and that was a concern when Miami drafted him.

KuchaMucha said:
In my opinion, Sammy had the natural born talents to make something of his career but chose to squander it away while Millner never showed that he had the talent. Both were gigantic busts. We've just got different ways of defining bust. From my perspective, Sammy had the talent and that's why he was draft worthy while Millner should have never ever ever been drafted (well maybe at a much lower round).
Sammie Smith was the 9th pick of the draft. Milner was something like the 25th. Being drafted that low in Rd 1 does not scream I have star talent.

I dont agree with Yatil...but maybe its the way I define a bust.. Kumerow to me was by FAR the biggest bust first round pick that was a workout warrior without any football skills at ALL. We tried him at LB DE TE he was healthy the entire time and we just completely blew that pick. Yatil was as talented as advertised but had a career ending injury who knows what he could have been..there was a lot of hype around that pick because he was to be Marinos new target when he needed one badly but Kumerow was just a complete failure because he flat could not play football.

There was a cheerleader on the squad a few years ago that might have had the biggest bust in Dolphins history.

Forgot her name.

Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom