Who Would Be A Great Hc For The Dolphins? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who Would Be A Great Hc For The Dolphins?

What you guys think of Marc trestman? Was recently fired in Toronto after winning the championship last year in the CFL. His two years as a nfl head coach were 8-8 and 5-11. But I do believe that's with Cutler as the qb. He definitely has lots of experience and gray hairs

I’ve been reading some articles about the top HC candidates this year and here are some of the hot names bandied about:

John Harbaugh (if available)
David Shaw
Lincoln Riley
John DeFilippo
Jack del Rio
Josh McDaniels

And 2 names familiar to Dolphin fans:
Dan Campbell
Zac Taylor (currently QB coach for Rams)

Zac Taylor cracked me up because he was roundly hated around here for being incompetent and a product of nepotism.

Riley would be one of my top choices, but I wouldn't want him selecting the DC. As an OC, though, he's creative, consistently puts forward a dominant OL, and he excels at scheming open his receivers.

Fangio would be my other, and I'd hope that his time with Nagy would lead to him making a good OC hire. That's the key point, though imo. You want a guy who excels on one side of the ball and who has a good idea of the type of hire he needs to make on the other.

Of the has-beens, Jack Del Rio would be a better get than some of the other names thrown around. I think he got a raw deal in Oakland. He had a good thing going until Carr got injured. He had some success in Jacksonville. Not my top choice, but if we needed to go the route of a HC with prior HC experience I'd consider him.

I’ve been reading some articles about the top HC candidates this year and here are some of the hot names bandied about:

John Harbaugh (if available)
David Shaw
Lincoln Riley
John DeFilippo
Jack del Rio
Josh McDaniels

And 2 names familiar to Dolphin fans:
Dan Campbell
Zac Taylor (currently QB coach for Rams)

Zac Taylor cracked me up because he was roundly hated around here for being incompetent and a product of nepotism.

I don’t see a change happening, but if one did, no more first time n
Riley would be one of my top choices, but I wouldn't want him selecting the DC. As an OC, though, he's creative, consistently puts forward a dominant OL, and he excels at scheming open his receivers.

Fangio would be my other, and I'd hope that his time with Nagy would lead to him making a good OC hire. That's the key point, though imo. You want a guy who excels on one side of the ball and who has a good idea of the type of hire he needs to make on the other.

How are some of these guys going to assemble an experienced competent staff? Wasn’t that the knock on Gase coming in also?

I think some of this is getting a little overblown- kinda like he is the next ‘Shula’. Just my .02 cents. I have some issues, just like with alot of other coaches. Did you happen to catch that coaching in the Jets game? Mistake after mistake.

Is it outta line for me to ask.....

Who’d want the job?

I do worry about this. There is much glory to be won by being the guy that FINALLY takes the Browns to the show. It seems like, for all their misery, they DO try.

But then, there’s us....

Shula is an impossible standard to follow. But let’s forget about the glory days (all we have left).

We have a ****ty reputation. Good players become mediocre in Miami. Good rookies go elsewhere. Seems like you play your rookie contract elsewhere. You rocked it, so everybody wants you. Miami sells the farm to get you. You screw around for a few years, and now that you’re a zillionaire you go play for a real team to get that ring.

There’s a lot of bullshit that a new coach would have to overcome in Miami, bullshit that no one else has fixed.

Daunting, to say the least.

That’s the real question, why would Harbaugh come here? If he’s available every team with an opening will be after him, Green Bay might fire McCarthy, hmmm GB or MIA....it’s not even a debate. The Browns job looks better right now than the Dolphins, so does Denver, Harbaugh would probably take the Bengals job just to stick it to Baltimore twice a year. Ross has struck out so many times, can he really sell Miami as his best opportunity? Because the truth is it’s not. And I don’t think offering him more money than anyone else will be enough.

Last edited:
I don’t see a change happening, but if one did, no more first time n

How are some of these guys going to assemble an experienced competent staff? Wasn’t that the knock on Gase coming in also?

I think some of this is getting a little overblown- kinda like he is the next ‘Shula’. Just my .02 cents. I have some issues, just like with alot of other coaches. Did you happen to catch that coaching in the Jets game? Mistake after mistake.

Sorry, don't know which coach or Jets game you're referring to.

That’s the real question, why would Harbaugh come here? If he’s available every team with an opening will be after him, Green Bay might fire McCarthy, hmmm GB or MIA....it’s not even a debate. The Browns job looks better right now than the Dolphins, so does Denver, Harbaugh would probably take the Bengals job just to stick it to Baltimore twice a year. Ross has struck out so many times, can he really sell Miami as his best opportunity? Because the truth is it’s not. And I don’t think offering him more money than anyone else will be enough.

I think the secret weapon here might be Ross's relationship with Jim Harbaugh through Michigan. Jim might put in a good word to his brother.

I believe Gase gets another year and I hope he gets Miami moving in the right direction. It's really hard to judge him considering the problems Miami has had, mainly at the quarterback position. I think he'll have to bring in another defensive coordinator, hopefully an experienced coach who has a resume of success.

That said, if the team struggles the rest of the season it could open the door for a new head coach. Honestly, I don't know who the next up and comer is and that's always a risky proposition. Maybe DeFilipo who was a big part of the Eagles success.

As far as veterans, John Harbaugh seems like a strong candidate. Jack Del Rio is looking better and better after how Oakland has struggled without him. Or maybe John Gruden is just that bad. Tom Shanahan is pretty old, but I advocated for him when the team decided on Gase. Shanahan has always been creative on offense. He would be a short-term guy, but maybe you bring him along with a young coach to groom. Just a thought.

I like Shaw with Stanford, but doubt he'd want to leave.

Don't want anything with Shaw. Honestly Gase is going to get another year. His o-line sucks and Ted Larsen is the biggest buffoon out there. They can't handle any stunts and the colts are like a stunting blitzkrieg on defense. The biggest problem I have with the offense is when they do PA from under center, somehow one of the guards ALWAYS allows a quick release inside to the QB.

Gase does call some great plays, but the issue is that he relies too much on a horizontal offense. He essentially plays into the defense's hand a lot of the time. Quarters coverage with soft cushion and he throws the bubble screens and drags and all the defense has to do is rally to the ball. Where is the scheming receivers open with different personnel and then lining them up in creative ways?

For example, before Grant and Wilson get hurt, how do you not go 5 wide receiver set, get the defense in dime and then bring Grant into the backfield and give him handoffs? You stretch the defense horizontal pre-snap and then you can attack with Grant as a running back. Reid does this so well but Gase hasn't done that once.

Or line up in 12 personnel and then split out Drake and both tight ends against a base defense making it 5 wide then scheming players open.

I just don't get it. Instead he essentially calls clear out and decoy routes deep for short passes underneath whereas McVay and Reid are doing the opposite...

Last edited:

Fangio + Kingsbury would be fun.

Don't disagree with that. What would be even more fun is if Gase gives up the playcalling to Loggains and acts like a real head coach for one game. We did it in preseason and the playcalling was MUCH more creative and had much more awareness.

Gase is an easy scapegoat right now, and after that late game collapse with the season on the line . . .. I can see why.

I just wish he would of pounded the table harder for a QB last year. He is tying his wagon to Ryan but that is a mistake because Ryan needs a tremendous supporting cast to ultimately execute at a high, consistent level.

There is not enough improvising ability with 17 to overcome the faults in front of him.

I will say I will never question his “gamer” mentality, that dude is still tough as ever and I can excuse the lost confidence in the Cincy game once Laremy went out.

Adam probably has waited too long to address the position. I think the guy is too ****y for his own good . . . .as much as I like that swagger from my coach. He is gonna be around another year but I tell you he has gotta clear that late game fiasco out of his memory as that was pretty damn unacceptable.

Mike Shanahan hes got the pedigree, rings and experience needed to restore Miami reputation.

Back
Top Bottom