Who's the most overrated player in Dolphins history? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who's the most overrated player in Dolphins history?

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned him...

But Reshad Jones.

He was pretty good for a couple of years, but was never Elite... never a game changer...

Yet, we paid him like he was Ronnie Lott in his prime. Reshad is a decent guy, but Oh Lord was he overpaid, and over celebrated.

Inspired by Danny's thread I thought this would be an interesting topic to discuss especially for the of us bored at home.

I'm going with Chris Chambers, I remember being on Finheaven back in 2001 and the hype for Chambers was huge after his rookie season. He sadly never lived up to the expectations many had of him after his rookie year. Over and over people blamed the QB, and the offense for Chris's lack of production, I remember many claimed if he had a great QB he would truly shine.

At the end of the day I think Chambers was simply a #2 WR, as he was too inconsistent to be a #1, and regardless of QB he is simply better suited to be a #2. Every year people waited for him to break out and every year outside of 2005 people were disappointed but with excuses ready at hand.
Good call.

I can't think of a player who could have benefited more playing in the days in which stickum was allowed than Chambers. He would have needed to douse his jersey in it as well.

He balanced out his poor ability to secure the ball with his poor ability to adjust to the ball when it was in the air.

I always think of pre and post concussion Chambers as two different players. He seemed to play more scared, less likely to go all out for the ball after that nasty hit he took. Prior to that he was real fun to watch.

I feel like a lot of people here are confusing overrated with over-drafted or over-paid. People like Jason Allen, Dion Jordan.... nobody is overrating them. They were over-drafted. Nobody overrates Bobby McCain, but you can make an argument that he was over-paid.

As far as players that are actually overrated, it’s tough to call. I think we as a fan base tend to think more negatively about players than the team does. We treated Chambers as our #1 for a few years, but I don’t think there were many fans that thought he was that dominant alpha receiver.

I think someone like Ronnie Brown would fit the description pretty well. Solid starter, but not a game changer. He had a very good season when we unveiled the wildcat package, which no one could stop, which naturally got the fans excited about him. But then once teams figured it out, he was fairly average as a starter

Minkah Fitzpatrick, I think he luck his way into the pro bowl. I just saw the Miami Miracle game and he was abuse by Tom Brady

Bobby Humphrey. Got him for Sammy Smith and he didn't do much but be a third down guy out of the backfield (where he was pretty efficient). He certainly wasn't the RB he was in Denver where he rushed for 1,000 yds in each of his first two sessions.

Call me crazy but I'll go with Jarvis Landry. He was a good WR but his numbers were inflated with all those catches of one or two yards plus many more behind the LOS. Again, not saying he was a bad player but just not as great as some made him out to be. He did played hard in every game so there's that.

Brian Cox. He could dominate at times, but mostly against the bad teams. Rarely did he standout when the competition was the strongest. Also, he cost the team with stupid penalties.

Love his fire, but couldn't control it enough.
I agree with you. Cox has one excellent season and was merely average for the majority of the time he was with the Dolphins. Because of his hatred for the Jets and flipping off the fans in Buffalo, Dolphin fans loved him but he really was just an ordinary NFL LB when you examine his overall playing career with the Dolphins.

While he wasn’t a player, the most overrated hire in Dolphin history was Bill Parcells in 2008. He hired both Sparano and Ireland and then took the money and ran after a couple of years with the organization. With Ireland left to select the talent once he departed, the Dolphins became one of the bottom tier team in the NFL and only now are they hopefully headed in the right direction.

Minkah Fitzpatrick, I think he luck his way into the pro bowl. I just saw the Miami Miracle game and he was abuse by Tom Brady
You appear to be someone who just can’t get over the fact he wanted out of Miami. No one lucks their way into being 1st team all pro and that is exactly what Fitzpatrick was last season. If he stays healthy he will remain one of the best safeties in the NFL for the next decade and the Dolphins will likely not find another safety who is as good as Fitzpatrick over the next decade.

Back
Top Bottom