Who's the most overrated player in Dolphins history? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who's the most overrated player in Dolphins history?

Bobby Humphrey. Got him for Sammy Smith and he didn't do much but be a third down guy out of the backfield (where he was pretty efficient). He certainly wasn't the RB he was in Denver where he rushed for 1,000 yds in each of his first two sessions.
Is that who we traded for him? He was not the same guy as in Denver but I think he did put up 1 decent season w us. But he’s, overrated.

Call me crazy but I'll go with Jarvis Landry. He was a good WR but his numbers were inflated with all those catches of one or two yards plus many more behind the LOS. Again, not saying he was a bad player but just not as great as some made him out to be. He did played hard in every game so there's that.
i can see the POV on this one. He was extremely productive but for a time many of us thought he was Larry Fitzgerald or equal when he wasn’t in the same league.

You appear to be someone who just can’t get over the fact he wanted out of Miami. No one lucks their way into being 1st team all pro and that is exactly what Fitzpatrick was last season. If he stays healthy he will remain one of the best safeties in the NFL for the next decade and the Dolphins will likely not find another safety who is as good as Fitzpatrick over the next decade.
Preach. If we could only be so lucky as to find a bunch of guys on defense that luck into 7-8 takeaways and 3 TDs per season. Sign me up for all these overrated, game changing all-pros!!!

I agree with you. Cox has one excellent season and was merely average for the majority of the time he was with the Dolphins. Because of his hatred for the Jets and flipping off the fans in Buffalo, Dolphin fans loved him but he really was just an ordinary NFL LB when you examine his overall playing career with the Dolphins.

While he wasn’t a player, the most overrated hire in Dolphin history was Bill Parcells in 2008. He hired both Sparano and Ireland and then took the money and ran after a couple of years with the organization. With Ireland left to select the talent once he departed, the Dolphins became one of the bottom tier team in the NFL and only now are they hopefully headed in the right direction.
Fair or not, I also blame Cox to an extent for the downfall of Don Shula. As fans we were used to watching a disciplined Miami team. Cox was the opposite, costing the team with 15-yard penalties and yet Shula kept him. I know he was a leader and had talent, but I think the Shula of the 70's gets rid of Cox.

Good call on Parcells.

I agree with you. Cox has one excellent season and was merely average for the majority of the time he was with the Dolphins. Because of his hatred for the Jets and flipping off the fans in Buffalo, Dolphin fans loved him but he really was just an ordinary NFL LB when you examine his overall playing career with the Dolphins.

While he wasn’t a player, the most overrated hire in Dolphin history was Bill Parcells in 2008. He hired both Sparano and Ireland and then took the money and ran after a couple of years with the organization. With Ireland left to select the talent once he departed, the Dolphins became one of the bottom tier team in the NFL and only now are they hopefully headed in the right direction.
Cox was lovable in that he wasn’t a high draft pick and played w intensity / loved to compete. He was not as good as lore would suggest but he’s a guy you want on your team.

Another one I can think of is Grant. The guy makes like one big play a year and yet people here think he's a great player. I see it all the time. "If you get the ball in his hands he can make big plays"......the problem is he's a very small target and doesn't have good hands so with him is all hype and no production.

I'm trying to think of fan favorites who really weren't all that good. The two that come to mind are Bernie Parmalee and Lousaka Polite. Call them "feel good" types....sorta like Rudy or something.

I wouldn't say Charles Harris. We all know what we have with him so far. I'll go old school, RB Jim Kiick. Czonka was the real force at RB but SBs were won so Kiick got elevated status commensurate to his actual abilities. I think that's what overrated means. Additionly, Kiick was after my very hot girl friend! So yeah he's overrated because he never got her!

Another one I can think of is Grant. The guy makes like one big play a year and yet people here think he's a great player. I see it all the time. "If you get the ball in his hands he can make big plays"......the problem is he's a very small target and doesn't have good hands so with him is all hype and no production.
i like him. I don’t think he’s great but he does give you 1-2 game altering plays per year. To me he’s not so much overrated but a role player. I like having that home run threat he provides as a returner or as a gadget player on offense.

Cox was lovable in that he wasn’t a high draft pick and played w intensity / loved to compete. He was not as good as lore would suggest but he’s a guy you want on your team.
I agree he was a player you would want on your team but he was not nearly as good as many fans thought he was at the time he was playing.

I'm trying to think of fan favorites who really weren't all that good. The two that come to mind are Bernie Parmalee and Lousaka Polite. Call them "feel good" types....sorta like Rudy or something.
Parmalee should never have been a starting tailback. He was a depth player who was elevated because we were so terrible at finding RBs. Polite only got the ball on 4th and 1 and he seemed to get it every time. So not sure overrated. After he left we couldn’t convert those. Damien Williams was like 1-30 in “and 1” situations while Polite was like 28-30.

Back
Top Bottom