Who's the most underrated player in Dolphins history? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who's the most underrated player in Dolphins history?

Bill Stanfill. Had an 18 sack year and was a menace.

Vern den Herder was solid and played a long time.

Lot of good answers above. I liked the Warfield answer. Yes, he’s in the HOF, but he was breathtaking and to me gets too little attention.

Bill Stanfill. Had an 18 sack year and was a menace.

Vern den Herder was solid and played a long time.

Lot of good answers above. I liked the Warfield answer. Yes, he’s in the HOF, but he was breathtaking and to me gets too little attention.
I wish I could have seen more of them. Back then there wasn't any DirecTV Sunday Ticket.

Bill Stanfill is a great choice, Austin! That whole No-Name defense has always gotten screwed over. One lone Hall of Famer is bullshit.

Thanks! I should add that he had 18 sacks in a 14 game season back then. He was the eleventh overall pick in the first round coming out of the draft. Played in a lot of pro bowls.

Sadly, he passed away a few years ago. They found that he had CTE. The players of that era especially got a raw deal. Like smokers of prior generations, they didn’t know the damage that was being inflicted, their helmets were flimsy, etc.

Interesting article on Jake Scott not being in the Hall by a very respected writer, Rick Gosselin (out of Dallas, I believe).

Has to be Ed Newman. He was a four time pro bowl gaurd (and one time All Pro) who played 164 games for the Dolphins (top 10 all time). Most haven't heard of him and few remember him. His career started with the Super Bowl winning teams of the 70s and ended alongside Marino and the Marks brothers in the 84 Super Bowl. He's the only player to have spanned both eras.

Altogether Newman appeared in three super bowls for Miami - in 73 (vs Minnesota), 82 (Washington) and 84 (San Fransisco). He didn't miss a game due to injury in his final six seasons.

Keuch (obvious HoF Guard and beyond tough),
Tony Nathan (clutch 3rd down back and made biggest plays at the moment they were most needed),
And “Crash” Jensen.

I think Chris Chambers is a good shout. Improved year on year until his last with us when we had Joey Harrington at QB.

Had a monster game against Buffalo when he caught 15 passes for 238 yards and a TD. We were trailing by 20 points entering the 4th quarter. I always enjoyed watching him.

Not the most underrated but maybe in the top 20?

This is one of the new millennium era players that immediately came to mind.

IMO if Chambers played on a team with an elite level QB and in a more pass friendly offense during the prime of his career, he’d have become a big name. And piled up much more impressive numbers. Very underrated talent IMO.

Karim Abdul-Jabbar. Never got the credit he deserves for being a two sport star. Still holds the record for most points scored in the NBA.

Honorable mention: Garo Yepremian. Threw 49 yard TD pass to close out Super Bowl in perfect 17-0 season. He was robbed when they called it a fumble.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom