Why are we so impatient? | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why are we so impatient?

Tannehill is sitting at home now watching the playoffs with everyone else. He is doing great for himself I get it, but we don't have to keep using him a barometer of success. He isn't the best passer in the league, he isn't the most gifted athlete at his position. He's able to make good decisions if the game isn't on his shoulders, and when the game is on his shoulders, he wins just about almost the same as he did when he was with us.
All I’m saying is we for 7 years said he was held back by either coaching or lack of talent around him. He then goes to TEN where they were a better team and he excels. Miami has all the opportunity in the world to succeed based on their draft picks. No reason not to be better in 2021.

There is never much chatter about the actual team Tua had around him for his last 3-4 starts. I watched the games and somewhere around the Raiders timeline Miami started losing players at a alarming rate on both sides of the ball. I think it started with that cheap shot on Preston Williams that put him out and then just snowballed from there.
So you have a rookie QB who didnt even get a full offseason who then sits 6-8 games and is suddenly thrust into the spotlight. He wins...Looks good for a game or two then the stinker in Denver. After that its all subject to who was on the field with him and believe me...It was not the best because Miami may be many things but "Deep" at any position is not one of them.
I agree with OP its not a time to panic...Its time to find more durable players and create depth. Tua is the least of my concern going forward unless he gets injured.
They have to find options at WR (Glass Parker stays hurt) and need a horse @ RB

I’ve said it before in a few other threads and this seems like a good place to repeat it:

I firmly believe that the NFL hasn’t seen a rebuild this intense since Jimmy Johnson stripped down the Cowboys and rebuilt them from the ground up. Jimmy rebuilt the Cowboys off of that massive Herschel Walker trade. Miami is building this team off the Houston trade along with a few other smaller moves.

Miami has the right Front Office strategy in place along with the right coach to lead this rebuild. Hell, we’re even ahead of schedule. Next year we’re a playoff team and the year after we’re legit contenders.

Considerable reasons why Dolphin fans need to show some patience...

1. Tua had no real off-season after being out of football, he will need to work on building a bit more strength, with better technique to increase volocity...Will he ever have a cannon? No, but he can, and probably will eventually have good enough arm to get job done.

2. He had no off-season, it's bad enough he was out of competition playing QB for around a year, had to deal with rehabbing, and trying to come back from a serious injury, going to another team, in a new state, he was not familiar with, with a new HC, and coordinator with new expectations, yet on top of that, no camps, no pre-season to familiarize himself of his new surroundings, teammates, and coaches.

3. Miami before the season even started, lost two starting receivers from last year, then when he came in, Preston Williams started becoming his favorite target (Injury takes him away early)...Parker and Gesicki start becoming weapons for Tua (Both get injured, miss a few games, play rest at not close to 100... heck, not even 70%).

Tua even had to play a half against the Chiefs, and Bengals with no real starting receivers, and the entire Patriots game with little backups at receiver.

4. The O-line were still getting to know each other with at times 3 Rookies, when injuries started to hit, and the line had have some players moved around...did not help to make a Rookie QB feel comfortable.

5. We had an O-coordinator that even admitted his offense was better setup for Fitz, not Tua. He also admitted that in some games, he did Tua little favors by not preparing him right, and what to expect in the games.

6. Miami got more then they expected from a bunch of RBs that are more change of pace, then starting quality.

Opponents knew there was no RB that was going to take over, so they were able to put full attention on just trying to confuse, get to, and pretty much stop Tua...a rookie.

Thus off-season will allow Tua more camps to get in shape and work with his team to get better...Will bring, new and better Receivers that can give Tua more room to pass, as well as being more consistent at actually catching the ball...Will bring an actual starting powerback, that teams will need to think about...The Line will have another year together, and the Rookies, will no longer be rookies...Miami will hopefully bring an O-coordinator that will create an offense that works to Tua's accurate, aggressive style.

Excellent Post!

Why are we so impatient?

Here's some stats from a QB in his 3rd year in the NFL - tell me who it is:

11 starts - 2,108 yards - 192 per game - 57.58 Comp. % - just 5.9 YPC - 11 TD - 15 INT

HINT: The team that originally drafter this player simply let him go after his rookie contract ended - not even a trade. That team, by the way, has not only failed to win a SB... they haven't even made it to the show SINCE THIS PLAYER WAS LET GO (again, for nothing).

Again, just asking why we're being so impatient. Especially in light of how much better Tua should get without Gailey at OC (just think of Baker Mayfield in Cleveland and how much better he is this year playing within an offensive system that actually works for/with him).

Anyway, curious to see who figures out who the MYSTERY QB is.
Cuz a bunch of us are old and will need canes soon and won't have the capacity to remember we are Dolphins fans.

Other than that, we are kicking ass!

No one here knows more than anyone else. We are all just fans on a message board.
Wrong. There are loads and loads of posts that are just one word sentences that offer nothing in terms of football knowledge. Posters saying things just for the sake of saying things. Maybe you should read the forum more often, there are quite a few posters here who have actual football knowledge, they may not be right all the time but at least they offer something to the site

All I’m saying is we for 7 years said he was held back by either coaching or lack of talent around him. He then goes to TEN where they were a better team and he excels. Miami has all the opportunity in the world to succeed based on their draft picks. No reason not to be better in 2021.
I couldn't agree more brother. You don't need an elite qb to win the super bowl, you need a solid staff in general. We had one with Marino, but Joe Robbie was a cheap owner, and we never won one with marino even though he was a legend. Being honest with you, too many quarterbacks not considered elite won the big game. Titans just don't have a team that is there yet, but at the same time it would be unfair to lay the teams lack of success in the playoffs on just the quarterback. Thankfully that isn't the case with the Titans for him at least. He has a superior staff compared to the one he worked with here at Miami. In reality stats wise, he did very well for us. When the running game isn't working, and the other team is just playing good defensively, Tannehill isn't that type of player that will take the game into his hands, and neither should one player be. At the end of the day Ryan converted to QB, and ended up being successful in the nfl in one way or another. One stat that resonates well with good drafte qb's is that qb's that throw over 30td's and 4k yards once or more end up in within the less than half drafted since 2002. Ryan is part of that group at least.

Last edited:
Wrong. There are loads and loads of posts that are just one word sentences that offer nothing in terms of football knowledge. Posters saying things just for the sake of saying things. Maybe you should read the forum more often, there are quite a few posters here who have actual football knowledge, they may not be right all the time but at least they offer something to the site

I use one or two sentence response's a lot.

I use them to:
1) Acknowledge what I believe is a superior post.
2) State a level of agreement.
2) Ask for a clarification, sometimes humorous & sometimes serious.
3) Point out some kind of absurdity in the post I am responding to.

My most informative response's are anywhere from a few sentences to a significant amount of writing.

I also use the provided icons to show how I feel about a post.

When I find the nature of the post confusing or cannot track a response to the original post, or I get worn out by the repetitive nature of some long harangue, I make no response at all.

I do not use the ignore button. I find sometimes there is a poster who I disagree with a lot who will occasionally put up posts I do agree with and visa versa.

There is enough nonsense on this board that I feel a snide, one line post is more than enough of a response. There are plenty of pages of examples of posts that rehash the same opinions and ideas to the point where I loose interest.

Yesterday, I watched the highlights of Tua and Devante Smith when they were together at Alabama

I'll tell you why so many of us are impatient with Tua.... because the guy who played QB for us to end the season looked NOTHING like the Tua from the Alabama highlight reels. At Alabama Tua's arm strength had to be twice as good as it was last year in Miami. Tua also looked a hell of a lot more mobile and agile while in college.

It's alarming! If Tuas injuries prevent him from getting back his arm strength at minimum he is a bust. Its easy to see.

I hope he bounces back and gains his strength and speed back but if he doesn't im not going to make excuses for him. If he doesn't have it next year ill be ready for a change in 2022

Yesterday, I watched the highlights of Tua and Devante Smith when they were together at Alabama

I'll tell you why so many of us are impatient with Tua.... because the guy who played QB for us to end the season looked NOTHING like the Tua from the Alabama highlight reels. At Alabama Tua's arm strength had to be twice as good as it was last year in Miami. Tua also looked a hell of a lot more mobile and agile while in college.

It's alarming! If Tuas injuries prevent him from getting back his arm strength at minimum he is a bust. Its easy to see.

I hope he bounces back and gains his strength and speed back but if he doesn't im not going to make excuses for him. If he doesn't have it next year ill be ready for a change in 2022

I expect NFL play to be much more difficult than College play, so a rookie having a difficult 1st year is the norm. Some will grow into better QB's and some will not. This season had no meaningful preseason in which to learn and develop. I believe this was a major detriment to teams in the rebuilding stage an even more so with first year QB's.

The Patriots brought in a well known Veteran QB and he did not perform as well as expected. They also have been loosing their coaches due to their sustained high level of success. It's starting to show.

As far as Tua goes, I was generally satisfied with his performance under the above stated circumstances. Next year will give us a more definitive look as to how well he can play I the NFL.

Remember, youth and enthusiasm can usually defeated by old age and treachery.
The author was some old guy - LOL

Fans got impatient with Chan Gailley -- now, he's gone. So now fans are impatient with Tua. Fans were impatient with Gase and Tannehill, and they're both gone. It's the same old song and dance.

I've said it before: Miami needs lightning in a bottle to satisfy the impatient. Sign the right coach. Spend all the money signing all the assistants he wants. Give him GM authority so he can select his players. Keep doing this until we get the right coach. lol

Back
Top Bottom