Why Can't Kenny Stills Be Our #1?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by opticblazed, Jul 7, 2018.

1. opticblazed

opticblazed Active Member

It seems to me that stills has been overlooked since he became a dolphin. To me he has been the most reliable and professional player we have had in a long time. He has all the skill set to be our #1, but we as fans have relegated other less than reliable drama queens, looking at you Landry and injury prone(parker) players as our #1. At first I looked at him as just another guy, but he had become one of my favorite. And that isn't even taking all the great community service he performs. Thaughts?

2. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

He's a good deep threat, maybe the best in the game but we need a true alpha who can win matchups no matter who is on him. I have hopes on Gesicki being that guy in time

3. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

What is you definition of a number 1 receiver? If it's simply leading a team in targets and receptions than any receiver can become that. To be honest, like with the phrase "Franchise Quarterback", everybody seems to attach a different meaning to what a number 1 receiver means.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  4. superphin

superphin close your eyes, see that? no your eyes are closed Finheaven VIP

Because #1 WR's face the teams best CB and double or triple teams, bracket coverages all aimed at stopping or slowing them down. Kenny Stills doesn't have the talent to over come those challenges, he could barely get open as is which is why Landry gets 200 targets because no one else gets open consistently. He's a complimentary piece not a true #1 WR.

5. opticblazed

Could be because he hasn't been given the opportunity?

MDFINFAN likes this.
  6. opticblazed

While I agree he is a good deep threat, I think if he got as many balls thrown to him as Landry did he would be a good #1

7. dolphintodd

dolphintodd FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

because he is soft, can't block a lick

8. opticblazed

I think Landry was force fed too much. I think it's more than just targets, but also blocking and not making bone head plays

spiketex and joenhre like this.
  9. Ren

Ren Rookie

If you're talking purely WR positions 1-4, the #1 position is historically your outside deep threat, so technically, he is the #1.

If you're talking #1 as getting most passes, then that's not typical of your deep threat.

If you're talking #1 as in "the best," then that's purely subjective and only matters to fans and not the team.

John Biello, Atila and tazthenomad like this.
  10. superphin

Of course he has, he is a starter on this team. In 2016 he played 83% of all snaps and in 2017 he played 90% of all snaps. You have to maximize the opportunities you get. Look at Wes Welker, he went from undrafted free agent to being a starter on this team and eventually a super star on the Patriots.

11. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

I will say this. Cutler didn't utilize his talents like Tannehill did

dolpns13, MDFINFAN, Superself and 3 others like this.
  12. opticblazed

I agree that he has been on the field a lot, but with all the other issues we have had, qb, oline,playcalling etc, and also diva Landry, I dont think he has gotten his shot

13. opticblazed

I'll admit he doesn't block like Hines ward,but he is a decent and willing blocker. Would love to see you try and block an nfl defender trying to take your head off

14. dolphintodd

I would love to try for that pay check.

damaster21, EFWilson and crumpdaddy like this.
  15. superphin

The fact that you have to make that many excuses for him is telling. It's not like he's the only WR or player to ever be in a bad situation. Some people breakthrough no matter what and some people don't. Just look at what DeAndre Hopkins had to work with and Andre Johnson before him, they've had some horrible horrible QB's throwing to them, worse than even Jay Cutler.

16. dolphintodd

Kenny Stills is one dimensional, and even then you have to hold your breath he catches it. He is not a run after catch guy either. Its over the top or nothing.

Stoobz likes this.
  17. Dajesus

Dajesus A True Fan Donator

I think Kenny will be the #1 in targets this year. That being said I think #1 wr is a dying breed. You will always have a few guys like Julio or Brown or Beckham that have to stand out, but the nfl is moving towards spreading around and getting more guys moultiole targerts. Dak Prescott said recently on Dan Patrick not focusing on one guy makes the offense run so much smoother. I think this is where we are headed this year.

GUH-sick-EE and Mach2 like this.
  18. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

A number one needs to be able to do more then just continually run deep passes, this is not to say that Still can't be effective running other patterns, but he will not be anywhere as consistent or good as runt deep passes.

This is why Parker is the legitimate receiver to be the #1 receiver, Parker has speed to run deep if they cover him too close, he kill you if you give him too much cushion, he has good height to out jump any DB. If Parker actually puts it together this year, he will be a legitimate option when you need a 1st down, in the redzone, or want to be aggressive deep. Stills will still be the player that if you forget about him for a second, he will hurt you for big yards.

19. cafinfan408

cafinfan408 Punching Bag

Stills is a different type of player, he came in to the league so young. He is in his prime right now and honestly i expect around 10 tds out of him. Tannehill will connect with him again on many 30 plus yard tds

20. 72 silky

72 silky Well-Known Member

He’s our best wr

21. DolfanDuBbZ~

DolfanDuBbZ~ Avoid the 'Noid

Stills doesn't command attention from opposing defenses. He's a JAG in their eyes with a note not to get burned deep. Keep him in front of you and make him do things he is not comfortable doing.

And there is nothing wrong with that. You need pieces like Stills for a well rounded offense. People playing down having no real #1 as the ideal way to go, are nuts.

As for using Dak Prescott as some authority on a new trend in the NFL...the guy better get back to winning. He could end up another Josh Freeman.

22. crumpdaddy

crumpdaddy FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I thought I read somewhere once that stills was hell to cover in the slot. Maybe we see him in the slot some next year. I think we are gonna see so many different looks of everyone pans out, gesicki, Wilson, da, that its gonna be unreal. Parker is SUPPOSED to be our alpha wr. Stills was never considered an alpha so even if he catches 70-1000-10 this year he will still not be considered a true 1 because it's not the stigma that goes with him. It's like I tell the young guys at work, your reputation sticks with you a long time and is hard to shake. If people see stills as simply a deep threat that's what we are gonna see him as for a few seasons ril je changes our opinion

23. Mach2

Mach2 Active Member

Stills is an above average received IMO. I have no doubt that he can run all the route trees from any position, including the slot. That is, apparently, not gase's vision of his role within the offense. As to being #1? He doesn't have that nasty streak you typically want in the #1.

SF Dolphin Fan likes this.
  24. Dajesus

Dajesus A True Fan Donator

I read that too. It was from Gase in an interview, and he said Kenny averaged 16ypc in the slot. I think it is going to help to take the focus off Jarvis, and let more guys show what they can do.

crumpdaddy likes this.
  25. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

Talent is there but not a great blocker and gets banged up to easily.

26. phinfan40353

phinfan40353 Scout Team

For the most part, I think the era of offenses focusing on WR1, RB1 and TE1 has taken a back seat to the spread-the-ball and find-the-mismatch offenses of today. Teams have either abandoned or greatly reduced that offensive thinking.

Some is offensive coaching style, some is player availability and some is trends.

When I think of true WR1 types, I think of Michael Irvin, Calvin Johnson, Terrell Owens and Randy Moss. There's just not enough of those players in the NFL.

RBs have evolved due to the same problem. RBC is the new norm. Rarely do you find a "complete" back who can catch, block and run with power and break away speed. Gore is one of the last great ones (earlier in his career).

In today's NFL, WR1 is more of a depth chart designation than true scheme or role. Instead, WRs are more categorized based on ability (end zone, jump ball, possession, speed, separation, route running, etc).

Before he fizzled, that is what the Dolphins were trying to trade for when they acquired David Boston. But that part of his game stayed in San Diego. We got a shell.

We also pursued it with Brandon Marshall. We got it for a little while, before the headache set in.

Coaches want scheme flexibility and multi-faceted players that resemble Swiss Army knives. Its difficult to run a role based offense when you don't have the players to execute it.

GUH-sick-EE and crumpdaddy like this.
  27. Mach2

Mach2 Active Member

Agree with virtually everything you said.

The "#1" receiver of the past don't really exist anymore. There are only a handful in the whole NFL. Defenses are not as susceptible to one individual being able to beat them as they were a few years ago.

Aside from the Randy Moss sideshow, how many #1 receivers has NE had?

Birdmond likes this.
  28. Fin Fan in Cali

Fin Fan in Cali Joanne Shaw Taylor Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

I know you need to have starters, however i rather have an offense that spreads the ball around more. Create mis-matches with the defense and when they go to stop it keep spreading it around. I think the way the offense will run will move the ball around more since we got Mike at TE, and we have more of a complete group at receiver this year along with Ryan back. This is the year that Parker has to stay healthy and show what he can do.

tazthenomad and joenhre like this.
  29. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

You"re not proving your point with that nonsense post

30. Blake the great

Blake the great A True Fan

Yeah I was getting ready to say the same thing as everyone already has. Stills is a great starting WR. But he isnt the alpha #1 WR like Julio, AJ Green, etc. Do we need a WR like that to win? no. Would it be nice to have? of course.

Like others have said plenty of recent superbowl winning teams actually didn't have a dominant #1 WR.

Stills could be a our best WR this year. Depends IF Parker finally progresses and if Amendola can stay healthy though.

31. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

Lol is it 1996?

No.1 WR?

Kenny Stills is great at what he's asked to do.

Lol.

Go look at all the top WRs in the NFL.

Then count the number of super bowl rings those "no.1s" have. Well rounded non spectular WR corps seem to have the most overall success. Versatility is key. If super bowl wins qualify as success.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    kcbrown and MelbournePhin like this.
  32. Ren

Ren Rookie

This is an extremely asinine statement. If you think he only catches over the top, then you haven't watched any games in the past few years. And as far as drops - he had one memorable drop two years ago. Overall, I'm willing to bet his drop rate is among the lowest on the team, lower than Landry's for sure.

I'm not saying he's a great WR, but he's far from one dimensional or a drop liability.

33. Goin` Deep

Goin` Deep "Pick your guy...and let it fly." Finheaven VIP Donator

Stills is going to have plenty of opportunities this year. Tannehill likes him and he should get more targets with Landry gone. But, he's not a Brown, Hopkins, Green type of receiver, so he'll never be a true #1. Parker fits that bill better, but he's yet to show it, and I'd be surprised if he ever does.

superphin likes this.
  34. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

Ah damn. Really wish you had just put a period after better and called it a post.

If he's healthy for 16 games i would be shocked if he didnt have a productive season with this group. He doesnt need to be AJ Green. He needs to do his job.

If Stills, Parker, Grant, Amendola and Wilson just do their job we are golden.

35. pacresjt

pacresjt Well-Known Member

Stills has great over the top speed and can run the route tree. He is a very productive receiver. The one thing that hold him back imo is that big body box out and out attack the defender on the ball. He just doesn’t have enough size to win the pick em balls. That is what will keep him a no 2 which he is as good as I could hope for. We need Parker to be that one because he has the full package and can fight for the ball. Rams comeback is a great example of what we need to see from Parker but Stills is to small to be that guy.

where's th'fish likes this.
  36. McMichael

McMichael Seasoned Veteran

PFF has Stills having some terrible years with us, this is one of the reasons you can not take their rankings as fact like some people love to...

According to them he was one of the worst receivers in the entire league for us the last 2 years, ranking in the 80s both years......

37. Goin` Deep

Goin` Deep "Pick your guy...and let it fly." Finheaven VIP Donator

I don't give a **** who catches what. I just hope they all contribute in their own way.

superphin likes this.
  38. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

Stills and Tannehill were clearly on the same page in 2016. With better pass protection, I think his numbers could go up a little bit. He was open deep a lot from what I could see. Obviously you aren't going to connect on all of those, but I think we could see an uptick.

As far as number one receiver goes, I don't think Miami has one. Would be nice to have one, but then again New England hasn't always had one and they've had a lot of success.

39. Danny

Danny Finheaven VIP Finheaven VIP

We're not going deep enough to make him the #1 target. If we go short to him too often then you're not using him the right way. I believe he'll get more targets this year since Landry's gone but he won't get 150 targets. What we need is to spread the football around and make the offense as a whole better.

40. superphin

I think that has something to do with having the GOAT QB, and having the GOAT Coach. It's easy to be successful with those 2 pieces in place.

Stoobz and SF Dolphin Fan like this.