Why Can't Kenny Stills Be Our #1? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Can't Kenny Stills Be Our #1?

opticblazed

Basement Dweller
Reaction score
It seems to me that stills has been overlooked since he became a dolphin. To me he has been the most reliable and professional player we have had in a long time. He has all the skill set to be our #1, but we as fans have relegated other less than reliable drama queens, looking at you Landry and injury prone(parker) players as our #1. At first I looked at him as just another guy, but he had become one of my favorite. And that isn't even taking all the great community service he performs. Thaughts?

What is you definition of a number 1 receiver? If it's simply leading a team in targets and receptions than any receiver can become that. To be honest, like with the phrase "Franchise Quarterback", everybody seems to attach a different meaning to what a number 1 receiver means.

Last edited:
Because #1 WR's face the teams best CB and double or triple teams, bracket coverages all aimed at stopping or slowing them down. Kenny Stills doesn't have the talent to over come those challenges, he could barely get open as is which is why Landry gets 200 targets because no one else gets open consistently. He's a complimentary piece not a true #1 WR.

Because #1 WR's face the teams best CB and double or triple teams, bracket coverages all aimed at stopping or slowing them down. Kenny Stills doesn't have the talent to over come those challenges, he could barely get open as is which is why Landry gets 200 targets because no one else gets open consistently. He's a complimentary piece not a true #1 WR.
Could be because he hasn't been given the opportunity?

He's a good deep threat, maybe the best in the game but we need a true alpha who can win matchups no matter who is on him. I have hopes on Gesicki being that guy in time
While I agree he is a good deep threat, I think if he got as many balls thrown to him as Landry did he would be a good #1

I think Landry was force fed too much. I think it's more than just targets, but also blocking and not making bone head plays

If you're talking purely WR positions 1-4, the #1 position is historically your outside deep threat, so technically, he is the #1.

If you're talking #1 as getting most passes, then that's not typical of your deep threat.

If you're talking #1 as in "the best," then that's purely subjective and only matters to fans and not the team.

Could be because he hasn't been given the opportunity?

Of course he has, he is a starter on this team. In 2016 he played 83% of all snaps and in 2017 he played 90% of all snaps. You have to maximize the opportunities you get. Look at Wes Welker, he went from undrafted free agent to being a starter on this team and eventually a super star on the Patriots.

Of course he has, he is a starter on this team. In 2016 he played 83% of all snaps and in 2017 he played 90% of all snaps. You have to maximize the opportunities you get. Look at Wes Welker, he went from undrafted free agent to being a starter on this team and eventually a super star on the Patriots.
I will say this. Cutler didn't utilize his talents like Tannehill did

What is you definition of a number 1 receiver? If it's simply leading a team in targets and receptions than any receiver can become that. To be honest, like with the phrase "Franchise Quarterback", everybody seems to attach a different meaning to what a number
I agree that he has been on the field a lot, but with all the other issues we have had, qb, oline,playcalling etc, and also diva Landry, I dont think he has gotten his shot

because he is soft, can't block a lick
I'll admit he doesn't block like Hines ward,but he is a decent and willing blocker. Would love to see you try and block an nfl defender trying to take your head off

I agree that he has been on the field a lot, but with all the other issues we have had, qb, oline,playcalling etc, and also diva Landry, I dont think he has gotten his shot

The fact that you have to make that many excuses for him is telling. It's not like he's the only WR or player to ever be in a bad situation. Some people breakthrough no matter what and some people don't. Just look at what DeAndre Hopkins had to work with and Andre Johnson before him, they've had some horrible horrible QB's throwing to them, worse than even Jay Cutler.

Back
Top Bottom