Why did you become a fan of the Dolphins ? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why did you become a fan of the Dolphins ?

FinsGoToGuy

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I just want everyone to share why they're a fan of the Dolphins.

For those in South Florida it should be easy to answer, but for the "foreigns" ones like me it could be interesting.

For my part each weekdays morning I was listening to the sport news and each monday they had some highlights about the NFL. The name that was always coming back was Marino and it caught my eyes. I didn't even know that games were on TV on sundays (I was 12-13 years old and was playing outside ! ). And I liked the Dolphins Jersey too.

Fortunately most of the games presented by the local network were the Dolphins.

So now I'm a very big fan !
:tongue:

Mine is a little diff. I live in Ohio near clown country, my family was diehard browns fans disgruntled with them still over Paul Brown debacle. Since the dolphins had played in the super bowl and lost the year before and Shula was from near Cleveland, they were rooting for them. alhough my father didn't become a dolphin fan, he stayed a browns fan until they moved, and now is a Packer fan, I started following the dolphins and have been a fan ever since.

Anybody want to guess the year?.....................

...........Thats right it was 1972!

Now dont get me wrong i was seven at the time, so i do not have vivid clear memories of the season. I do have memories that i remember, but more of watching the games, watching zonk and warfield,griese, Morral., rather thn remembering who we played when the scores, specific plays, that kind of thing. I aint trying to ramble, just stating do have memories of teh 72 season.

Well, born and raised in FL for the past 20 years now.

Dad grew up in Miami, so when my parents got married I just basically grew up watching Phin football ;).

I live in Fort Myers though ;(.

I grew up in San Diego during the hey-day of the Air Coryell years - had a Dan Fouts jersey when I was 10 and all that. Even met Kellen Winslow when he came to my school and played kick-ball with us.

Anyway - being introduced to football in San Diego during those years meant that you were a big fan of the passing game... Then I discovered Dan Marino and the Marks Brothers. It was all downhill from there and I've been a Dolphins fan ever since. I wasn't sure how I'd react when Marino retired. But he's 4 years removed now, and I'm still here - with a Ricky Williams jersey now. :cool:

I was born and raised in Ft. Lauderdale, until I went to college..after college, the military and now civilian life has kept me from returning..But once a D fan, you remain so...so no matter where I was I keep close tabs on them..I was fortunate to be one of those who watched the 72 season unfold..I actually became a dolphins fan as soon as we got Paul Warfield..I loved him as a WR and try to immulate him doing my playing days.

I've been a fan since '66. I was 5 years old and my father said I took one look at the helmet and that was it. Nothing's changed in 37 years! ;)

In 1966 I was a junior in high school. Until the Dolphins came along I was a Ram /Roman Gabriel fan. Naturaly...When we "Florida" got a team I became a fan

I've always been one to appreciate brute strength and Czonka exhibited plenty of that.:lol: "The Miami Tank" he was called by sports annoucer "Al DeRogatus /sp?".

Anyway the first four years showcased a team full of "charactors" but when "Shues" came in 1970 they became a team to be reckoned with and have remained so to this day.

Proud to be a Phin Fan!:D

This sounds Weird

I'm from NE PA. My one older brother is a Packers Fan and the Other A Vikings fan. I had too much brains at age 5 to root for either one of those teams. I saw the Phins wearing white on T.V.-the Good guys allways wear white, that and I liked their helmets. 29 years later still a diehard.

At age 10, I was living in Tampa area in 1970 and thats when I started finding out about football....!!

I moved back to the San Fran bay area a year or so later and still remained a die hard Phinfan... Back a few years ago, I remember the only bit of info I would receive about the Dolphins was that 10 second blurp on the 11 oclock news saying if the Phins won or lost and maybe, if I was lucky, I would say a play or two on the highlites..

Today, thanks to the internet, FinHeaven and DirecTV Sunday Ticket, I get all the latest news on the team..

Regardless how sh*ty the Phins might get, I will always hate the 9ers and Raiders with a passion..

Go Fins!!!

Living in Kali, I get that question a lot! And to this day, I dont have a definitive answer to that. I've been a Dolphin fan since I learned the concept of football (3rd grade-1983) I was born in Dec. of 73! All when the Fins were doing good, maybe its just one of those freak things! Im also a bit of an against the grain kinda guy, so while the masses root for the raiders, there has to be a voice of opposition, me! Im also an avid Laker hater. Come to think of it maybe Im just an a$$hole!

Wow, some real fans here. I guess mine is more 'corny' then everyone elses here. I'll explain.
I grew up in Indiana. No team, not even close. So everyone rooted for the Bears, including my father. He is/was a major Butkus fan. He loved the Bears. Well, growing up I wasn't to much of a fan of football. Mostly because in Indiana basketball is the thing for the kids. But my brother and I rooted for the Packers just to be on the opposite as my father. It was a fun rivalry. He knew we could care less.

But one time my brother said he liked the Rams (insert puking noise here). So I figured it was time for me to get my own team. I was about 6 or 7. I looked at all the teams at the time and saw the words "Miami Dolphins" and figured I'd look into them. I saw their logo and liked it. But what got it for me was the previous year I had seen a program called Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom that did a show about how dolphins and humans got along. And that dolphins would beat up sharks, and sharks hurt people. That was all I needed.

Yeah, corny and stupid. But its the truth. Gosh I feel embarrassed. But yes, I like the Miami Dolphins because of the mammal and because it wasn't my fathers favorite team.

I need a shrink. :D

Originally posted by PHINFAN4LIFE
I was born in Dec. of 73!

Wasnt the '73 season the year the Dolphins last won a superbowl?? Its all PHINFAN4LIFE's fault !!!

Who knows, if he was never born, we might have won every superbowl since then...

j/k

Back
Top Bottom