Why did you become a fan of the Dolphins ? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why did you become a fan of the Dolphins ?

Personally...I've been a Fin Fan for over 30 years....
I first got hooked on th Fins watching a game with my Dad.... I asked who was playing (like I really knew...I was about 6), and he told me that the Jets were playing the young expansion team ... the Dolphins... I don't remember who won that day...but I remember that I liked the Dolphins unis....
Not long after that, we moved from Fla to NY... where my best friend was a Cowboys fan... I, of course, became a Dolphins fan.... that was the year the Cowboys beat us up in the SB....
I've been hooked ever since... I watched the perfect season, and the SB the year after.... lived the frustration of the WoodStrock years, basked in the glory of Dan.... and although Jay is no Dan....and Brian (if we get hiim) is no Bob....I think Jay with Brian backing up and learning... can take us back to the dance....
I've been saying "this is the year we go back" for 29 years.... and I'll say it every year until we go back!!

Go Fins!!

Dan Marino drops back to pass and find Clayton in the endzone. Touchdown.

That who I grew up watching. Dan the Man. Ever since then I was hooked.

My story starts off 30 years ago, way before i was born.

In 1973, my dad, a Jets fan, moved to Miami, Florida from Long Island, NY when he was 15. The Dolphins had just won the SB and he liked them, but didnt love them. In fact, in a 1974 playoff game against the bengals, he rooted against the fins just for the fun of it... he was an evil man back then...

by 1979, his blood was completely teal and orange. He has watched the fins every year since then in glory and frustration. He lived through Dan, Woodstrk, and now tells me everything I need to know... (thats why i know so much)

I never really got into football untill i was 10. I am now 14, and all i think about all day is football... Thanks to my dad... me, my brothers, and my mom are all huge dolphins fans and will never love any other team as much as the fins...

**** my dad did bad things to my mom... :lol: he turned her into a diehard fins fan, even though she had already been one all her life... thats another story... she gets as crazy as some of us on sundays... even she was crying when we lost to NE last december. She was almost thinking of turning athiest over it :eek: but she was just playing around...

Last edited by a moderator:
my dad(who's italian but raised here) was in the airforce and he was station in the caribbean back in the 70's. In 72 we were living in puerto rico when I was a kid and they were showing a fins game early in the year. I decided then that I was a dolphins fan from that moment on and of course, little did I know that 72 was gonna be history in the making. I've been rooting for the dolphins ever since.

I was born, raised, and still live here in Utah. As such, there is very little by way of professional sports representation in this area. The only thing I could follow due to regional loyalties would be the Utah Jazz, and I really hate the NBA.

When I first got interested in football, it was 1984. I was 10 years old, and it was the rookie year of two up and coming big names at QB. John Elway, and Dan Marino.

Due to my locale being about roughly halfway situated between both Denver and San Francisco, the majority of fans in this area tend to pull for the Denvery Donkeys or the SF Whiners.

I definitely wanted to avoid jumping on the band wagon of either team. Following Marino's success and the Phins trip to the bowl against the Whiners that year, I had no choice but to root for the warriors in Aqua and Orange.

To my dismay, they didn't return victorious, but I've been a loyal fan and follower ever since. I like to think that I was born in the wrong place, and have come home so to speak.

Then again, you might be right... :lol:

i was a dolfan even before they had colors. in 1965 when the franchise had been awarded to danny thomas and joe robbie, i decided this was the team for me. first 4 years under wilson (15-39-2) were kinda rocky though!:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by dolfan06
i was a dolfan even before they had colors. in 1965 when the franchise had been awarded to danny thomas and joe robbie, i decided this was the team for me. first 4 years, three under wilson and shulas first were kinda rocky though!

:lol: 06 weren't you a fan before there were colors at all?
I mean... if you're older than dirt... you're older than Red, Blue and Yellow right?

:D

:tongue: :lol:

:jk:

Originally posted by WharfRat

:lol: 06 weren't you a fan before there were colors at all?
I mean... if you're older than dirt... you're older than Red, Blue and Yellow right?

:D

:tongue: :lol:

:jk:
practice what you preach, this doesn't have anything to do with football so you can't put it in the smack forum, so it has to go in the depths!

SEE! we can't move everything, sometimes you gotta be a little:topic: , just let em slide. one post never hurt anything!:D

When I started playying popwarner I knew nothing about football. My team was the Dolphins and I played QB.

Therefore, Miami and Dan will always be number one for this KY boy.

A highly complicated case in my part. As I first bcame aware of pro football in 1966 at age 5, there were more teams that I hated than I liked. The first teams that I hated were Dallas(I realled rated that white and silver uniform), the Colts, Denver, the Raiders, and yes even back then Buffalo. A couple of years laters I added more teams that I hated, the Patriots, the Cardinals, and especially the Vikings. So I grew to be a Ram fan also liking the Redskins, Chargers, and Packers. I hate to admit it but I was a big Joe Namath fan also(I liked his throwing style, the white shoes, and that he was a bachelor).
Well the 1st awarness of mine of the Dolphins was in a 1970 playoff game in the mud against the Raiders. I felt a bit sorry for them in the loss, despite the George Blanda hysteria that year. The next real awareness was in the 1971 playoffs. In the AFC title game playing the Colts, I was impressed with the shutting out of the Colts, since I hated the Colts. I also loved the defeat of the Vikings in Super Bowl VIII.
One game in particular make me quite a bit of a Dolphins fan. The Thanksgiving Day game against the Cardinals in 1977. I did not like the Cardinals at all. I loved how the Dolphins thrashed the Cardinals 55-10, by throwing the ball, and getting Comrad Dobler so upset that he got into a major fight including with his own coaches.
What finally sealed the deal in making me a pure Dolphins fan were the actions of the Rams in 1981. I did not like the Rams coach Ray Malavasi at all, I though he was a bumbling idiot. Well he, with help from that hateful woman who owns the club, cut 2 of my favorite players Fred Dryer and Hacksaw Reynolds. Well that upset me so much that I needed to switch alligience to another team. So by 1982 I had decided to make the Dolphins my favorite team.
One other reason reason for picking the Dolphins was Don Shula's coaching. I really admired how he coached the team and got to team to play intelligent football.

Originally posted by FinsGoToGuy
I just want everyone to share why they're a fan of the Dolphins.

For those in South Florida it should be easy to answer, but for the "foreigns" ones like me it could be interesting.

For my part each weekdays morning I was listening to the sport news and each monday they had some highlights about the NFL. The name that was always coming back was Marino and it caught my eyes. I didn't even know that games were on TV on sundays (I was 12-13 years old and was playing outside ! ). And I liked the Dolphins Jersey too.

Fortunately most of the games presented by the local network were the Dolphins.

So now I'm a very big fan !
:tongue:

I had no choice, I have been going to Dolphin games since before I can even remember. When I was old enough to chose for myself, Dan Marino rolled in to town. End of story I knew I would be a Dolphins fan for the rest of my life.

Oliver...

Back
Top Bottom