Why didn't the Dolphins wait to announce Tua was starting until next week? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why didn't the Dolphins wait to announce Tua was starting until next week?

All Fitz did this year was lead Miami to 26.7ppg which places them 3rd all time behind only the 1984 and 1986 Dolphins in which Marino threw for 48 and 44 TDs respectively.

Four new OL, two of them rookies, two RB signed as FA who combined have been flops (Howard 18 carries and 14 yards) and the #1 WR has dealt with nagging injuries all season, no OTA's or preseason games and fans are bagging on Fitz as being the problem with the offense. :lol:

Last edited:
All Fitz did this year was lead Miami to 26.7ppg which places them 3rd all time behind only the 1984 and 1986 Dolphins in which Marino threw for 48 and 44 TDs respectively.

Four new OL, two of them rookies, two RB signed as FA who combined have been flops (Howard 18 carries and 14 yards) and the #1 WR has dealt with nagging injuries all season, no OTA's or preseason games and fans are bagging on Fitz as being the problem with the offense. :lol:
I think that says more about how bad our qb play has been historically than it does to how great fitz has played. Dude couldnt convert on third down once vs the Jets, think about that.

Didn't know that it WASN'T announced by the organization... thanks for clarifying that guys.

I also believe the poster who said it was probably Tua's camp "he calls mom, gf, manager, etc" but that also just seems like a lack of oversight. Hate to say it, but this would have never leaked if it was the Patriots... Just silly to me. Oh well.
He is a young man. He is close to his family. He got the good news and called his family. Why is it so hard to believe? What was the first thing he did after the game in the middle of the field?

Didn't know that it WASN'T announced by the organization... thanks for clarifying that guys.

I also believe the poster who said it was probably Tua's camp "he calls mom, gf, manager, etc" but that also just seems like a lack of oversight. Hate to say it, but this would have never leaked if it was the Patriots... Just silly to me. Oh well.
He is a young man. He is close to his family. He got the good news and called his family. Why is it so hard to believe? What was the first thing he did after the game in the middle of the field?

Did you misread my post? I said I believe that is exactly what happened. And that doesn't change that there was a lack of oversight by all parties involved (Flores: "Congratulations, make sure whoever you tell does NOT let this out or you're in trouble.").

It's not the end of the world, but you can't deny this wasn't the ideal scenario (as the coach has stated he wanted to apologize to his own team). All things considered, it shouldn't have got out that way. Like I said, lack of oversight.

Somehow in 3 pages of this thread I feel like one of the more obvious answers hasn't been mentioned...

-Tua sells tickets
-Tua sells jerseys
-Tua builds excitement

The more time you have, the more of those 3 things happen.

I was thinking about going to the Rams game, tickets could be had for like $75. As soon as he was announced starter, needless to say those tickets are GONE. Cheapest now is several hundred.

I don't think this was necessarily a strategic blunder or a leak. All the college footage in the world isn't gonna help the Rams prepare for Tua. He hasn't played in a year, and he's part of an entirely new system. But I'd say it's pretty undeniable that has the fanbase the most excited it's been in a loooong time.
As a business guy, I'm sorry to say I didn't even really think about this. It's actually quite valid.

I think that says more about how bad our qb play has been historically than it does to how great fitz has played. Dude couldnt convert on third down once vs the Jets, think about that.
Perhaps you think TDs are worth more points if they come on 3rd down instead of 1st or 2nd. Fitz absolutely played poorly in the 2nd half as Miami was up by 24 points. And the Jets defense played well in the second half getting pressure and tight coverage on the receivers.

That doesn’t negate what Fitz has done this season in the leading the Dolphins.

If you want to cherry pick stats...Fitz threw for more TDs last week than Rodgers and Mahomes combined, think about that. By your standards they must both really suck if they can’t even match what Fitz did combining their TD passes.

So easy to cherry pick a stat an then over-inflate what that stat means.

Did you misread my post? I said I believe that is exactly what happened. And that doesn't change that there was a lack of oversight by all parties involved (Flores: "Congratulations, make sure whoever you tell does NOT let this out or you're in trouble.").

It's not the end of the world, but you can't deny this wasn't the ideal scenario (as the coach has stated he wanted to apologize to his own team). All things considered, it shouldn't have got out that way. Like I said, lack of oversight.
Yes i did. My beg.

Perhaps you think TDs are worth more points if they come on 3rd down instead of 1st or 2nd. Fitz absolutely played poorly in the 2nd half as Miami was up by 24 points. And the Jets defense played well in the second half getting pressure and tight coverage on the receivers.

That doesn’t negate what Fitz has done this season in the leading the Dolphins.

If you want to cherry pick stats...Fitz threw for more TDs last week than Rodgers and Mahomes combined, think about that. By your standards they must both really suck if they can’t even match what Fitz did combining their TD passes.

So easy to cherry pick a stat an then over-inflate what that stat means.
It doesnt take a genius to know that what fitz has done up to this point is an anomaly. Hes not a good quarterback, if he was he wouldn't be getting benched. We actually have a coach whos smart enough to realize hes peaked and theres absolutely no shot of us winning long term with him remaining our starting qb. Time to move on, let it go bud.

It doesnt take a genius to know that what fitz has done up to this point is an anomaly. Hes not a good quarterback, if he was he wouldn't be getting benched. We actually have a coach whos smart enough to realize hes peaked and theres absolutely no shot of us winning long term with him remaining our starting qb. Time to move on, let it go bud.
Couldn't have agreed more. Only people satisfied with short term gratification wants to ride him any longer.

Last edited:

The problem, IMO, is too many people can't see any shades of grey. It's either 'RF is a BAD QB,' or "RF is a top 10.' Hard for people to understand RF is an average QB with the habit of being inconsistent.

The problem, IMO, is too many people can't see any shades of grey. It's either 'RF is a BAD QB,' or "RF is a top 10.' Hard for people to understand RF is an average QB with the habit of being inconsistent.
I don't recall seeing anyone arguing that Fitz is a top 10 QB. I have seen a post or two stating he is in the top 10 at QBR which is accurate as he currently is residing at #7.

First, I am 100% behind Tua. I have been a fan since the first time I saw him play as a freshman at Bama. The most accurate QB I have seen at the collegiate level. His accuracy was on full display his two throws against the Jets. Tua possess all the other attributes to succeed at a high level, top 10 if you will. Actually, I will be disappointed if he isn't consistently one of the top 5 QBs if that is the classification system being used. He is the QB I was hoping Miami would draft all along. That is how high regard I have have for Tua. I am ecstatic he is a Dolphin and look forward to watching him lead this team for years to come. I am excited to see him play against the Rams. Anyone can look through my post history to see my stance on Tua. I have not wavered, not once.

Having said that, I am just not one of those fans that feels the need to bash Fitz because I like Tua so much. For me, the two can co-exist.
I was completely indifferent to the Dolphins signing Fitz. I read posts from those in the know that said Fitz, at best, can only play decent for a couple of games before the wheels fall off.

Then I watched Fitz win 5 of the last 9 games as the Dolphins developed and averaged 25.4 ppg during those games on a team that had been completely demolished heading into the season, including trading away Tunsil and Stills. It sure wasn't the OL, Ballage's 1.8 ypc or the WR group as a whole that carried the Dolphins to those victories. On full display was Fitz's leadership, how much fun he had playing the game, and how the Dolphins developed under his leadership. The guy led the team in rushing yards! And it wasn't just that he led the team, it was his intelligence in knowing when to rush to secure the first down or TD and toughness to fight for necessary yards in order to do so at 37 years of age.

Then after Fitz proved the detractors wrong that he could put together more than a couple of goods games, their narrative changed to Fitz can not play well two seasons in a row, as if it was a genetic trait. :lol:

This year there was major overall of the team again in the draft and signing of FA's. No OTA's or preseason games to build cohesion and learn from game-time mistakes. And I thought that showed the first couple of games. Four out of Five new starters on the OL including two rookies, the Dolphins feature back signed in the offseason is averaging .8 ypc, and the Dolphins best WR has been dealing with nagging injuries. Yet, in the past 4 games Miami has won 3 by 18, 26 and 24 points. The Dolphins are averaging 26.7 ppg for the season and scored 24 or more in 5 straight games.

Over the past 15 games the Dolphins are 8-7 with Fitz starting and the Dolphins are averaging 25.9 ppg. In the 54 year history of the Miami Dolphins these are the highest years of PPG:

1984 - 32.1
1972 - 27.5
1986 - 26.9
1985 - 26.8
2020 - 26.7
1975 - 25.5
1995 - 24.9

Given the context of a full rebuild, continual change of coaches and players, youth and inexperience, shuffling of OL, RBs, injury plagued WRs, Covid limitations of preparing for this year, has Fitz really been a BAD QB? Not in my opinion.

I for one am grateful for the role Fitz has played in the development of this team. Most of the posts I see are people taking shots at Fitz being BAD as you stated. I don't look at Fitz by judging whether he is a top 10 QB or where he ranks in comparison to other QBs on other teams. I just look at Fitz as having far exceeding my expectations for the role he was brought here for. He has been much better than most posters have made him out to be. Fitz has been an exceptional QB at fulfilling the role of leader, developer and mentor on the Dolphins which is exactly what this team needed at this time.

So I give props to Fitz at times when I see there is excessive bashing of him. There is no doubt in mind he has helped Tua immensely this year preparing him to take over this team. I am grateful he has been the Dolphins QB for the past year and enjoyed watching his leadership and enthusiasm. And I hope Fitz doesn't start another game for the Dolphins unless it is to rest Tua in week 17 to get ready for the playoffs.

I have watching the Dolphins play since 72 and seen about every game since Marino's first year. IMO, given the context, Fitz has played the position better than any QB since Marino which I believe will quickly change with Tua playing moving forward. So I give Fitz well deserved plugs. If other fans think he sucks or I suck for giving him props, that is okay with me. I used to worry about what people thought of me. I am too old for that now. Now I just think they have a right to their wrong opinion and if they don't like mine "F*** em" :lol: and I mean that in the nicest way possible.

Last edited:
So tickets are available from the official Dolphins site?

Or do you mean season ticket holders selling those tickets, like on StubHub or somesuch? No one in the Miami Dolphins organization cares about season ticket holders being able to resell their tickets for a higher price.
Yeah, from the official site. Not resellers.

Starting with the Jets game last week (I believe), they've opened up limited ticket sales to the general public/non-season holders.

And it's especially obvious with the limited capacity how fast they're selling through. Now when you go on Ticketmaster's site, all those expensive tickets are resellers.

Back
Top Bottom