Why Didnt We Resign Him!!! | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Didnt We Resign Him!!!

Walker is worht the money.....the Lions D## sucks thats y he is having a bad year the way the defense is ste sucks. The miami defense fits Walker perfectly. Walker is so much better you all dont know. 7 INTs in one season and 88 tackles the next...damn u all r blind....Freeman in 3 yrs has 1 INT and has maybe 70 tackles in those 3 yrs...u all r dumb wen it comes talkin SS

I play FS for a Mountain West college team. I know the safety position. Trust me, Freeman is doing a great job. I'm not going to restate how he is doing it, because these guys have it covered. I agree with you that these other guys may be underrating Brian Walker, but they are right in the fact that he is overpaid. Finally, I do think that Freeman is indeed an upgrade Walker......

ok as long as u think these guys are underrating Walker, but i mean McKnight is getting 9 millions for 5 years and he drops many passes, we shoulda released him signed a rookie WR for our 2nd rounder and kept Brian Walker....Freeman is doing a hell of a job no doubt. But our SS has always made many tackles, but i wish Freeman would start mkaing plays getting INTs and Forcing fumbles like Walker did....

Oh yea.......OVERPAID????? I think there are 3 teams with guys who have 2 INTs or so past 3 years at SS and have like 10 or 11 mil in the span of 5 or 6 yrs. LIke Gibson for the Raiders i think he is one of them...not too sure

He may have had 7 INTS in 2000, but what about last season? Here is what concerns me about his extaordinary amount of tackles. We rarely, if ever played 8 man fronts. How did Walker get all those tackles? In fact how did my man Brock get all those tackles? We really sucked at stopping the run, I'm sure that helped pad his stats, but DBs, even safeties traditionally don't have 60+ tackles. Any resident coaches know why that is......

Gibson isn't even a starter on that team, so I don't think he has many INTs. In fact, he isn't even being paid all that well, he was what, the 25th pick 2 years ago? The highest paid safety I can think of is Lawyer Milloy, and he may be the only on worth that money. Rodney Harrison, Darren Sharper, Rod Woodson, they are the only other top-tier safeties, outside of my man Brock, that I can think of off the top of my head, and I don't think they have that impressive of a contract, I think Darren Sharper does, but I'm not sure......

Originally posted by Dolphins2002
Walker is worht the money.....the Lions D## sucks thats y he is having a bad year the way the defense is ste sucks. The miami defense fits Walker perfectly. Walker is so much better you all dont know. 7 INTs in one season and 88 tackles the next...damn u all r blind....Freeman in 3 yrs has 1 INT and has maybe 70 tackles in those 3 yrs...u all r dumb wen it comes talkin SS

Walker was not worth that kind of money.
The safety position paled in importance in comparison to the OL linebacker positions and OL. If they didn't pay top dollar to upgrade those spots the Fins surely weren't going to spend that kind of money on a replacable safety. Not that he's not good, Walker is, I liked him too. He just isn't worth what he got.
Fins made a good choice.

Freeman vs. Walker is no comparison in this D

When I first read this post, I ignored it because it's fairly obvious that you're not as intellegent as you think you are. But if you're going to start with this "No one's responding, I wonder why?" garbage, I'll chime in.

So... why did we promote Arturo Freeman in light of Brian Walker's departure? Lets see....

1) Brian Walker turned 30 on May 31st. Arturo Freeman turned 26 on Sunday. That's a difference of almost 4 1/2 years.
Translation - Arturo Freeman is YOUNGER.

2) Before getting hurt in his senior season at SC, Freeman was able to run a 4.52/40, which is great for a FS/SS hybrid. Can Brian Walker run that?
Translation - Arturo Freeman HAS BETTER RANGE.

3) Walker signed a 5 year, 10 million dollar contract with the Detroit Lions. Freeman, as of right now, is playing for peanuts. If he gives the coaching staff reason to sign him long term, then we do it... for about the same price we would have signed Walker for. If he falls on his face (which is BS if you think that is happening so far) then the search continues.
Translation: Arturo Freeman is CHEAPER

4) Freeman, this season, is on pace for 73 solo tackles. Brian Walker has NEVER amassed that number in his career.

5) For two seasons, Walker played deep in the secondary. He did NOT have the responsibilities of playing close to the line of scrimmage and diagnosing playactions. If we were able to stop the run and rush the passer using ONLY our front 7, Walker could be effective: he has good size, great hands, and is a solid tackler. Unfortunetly, our porous Run D down the stretch last year made it obvious that we had to commit more players to the LOS. Walker is a TERRIBLE read-and-react SS. That's why Jimmy Johnson released him before the '99 season instead of allowing him to challenge Calvin Jackson for the job. By that same token, the alteration of defense from '99 to '00 (dropping safeties further back into coverage) is why Walker was signed and Calvin Jackson was released. Now that we have changed our defense AGAIN to playing safeties closer to the LOS, why would we put Walker back in the situation that got him released before the '99 season?
Translation: Arturo Freeman is a better fit in this defense.

Re: Freeman vs. Walker is no comparison in this D

Originally posted by NYFCat
When I first read this post, I ignored it because it's fairly obvious that you're not as intellegent as you think you are. But if you're going to start with this "No one's responding, I wonder why?" garbage, I'll chime in.

So... why did we promote Arturo Freeman in light of Brian Walker's departure? Lets see....

1) Brian Walker turned 30 on May 31st. Arturo Freeman turned 26 on Sunday. That's a difference of almost 4 1/2 years.
Translation - Arturo Freeman is YOUNGER.

2) Before getting hurt in his senior season at SC, Freeman was able to run a 4.52/40, which is great for a FS/SS hybrid. Can Brian Walker run that?
Translation - Arturo Freeman HAS BETTER RANGE.

3) Walker signed a 5 year, 10 million dollar contract with the Detroit Lions. Freeman, as of right now, is playing for peanuts. If he gives the coaching staff reason to sign him long term, then we do it... for about the same price we would have signed Walker for. If he falls on his face (which is BS if you think that is happening so far) then the search continues.
Translation: Arturo Freeman is CHEAPER

4) Freeman, this season, is on pace for 73 solo tackles. Brian Walker has NEVER amassed that number in his career.

5) For two seasons, Walker played deep in the secondary. He did NOT have the responsibilities of playing close to the line of scrimmage and diagnosing playactions. If we were able to stop the run and rush the passer using ONLY our front 7, Walker could be effective: he has good size, great hands, and is a solid tackler. Unfortunetly, our porous Run D down the stretch last year made it obvious that we had to commit more players to the LOS. Walker is a TERRIBLE read-and-react SS. That's why Jimmy Johnson released him before the '99 season instead of allowing him to challenge Calvin Jackson for the job. By that same token, the alteration of defense from '99 to '00 (dropping safeties further back into coverage) is why Walker was signed and Calvin Jackson was released. Now that we have changed our defense AGAIN to playing safeties closer to the LOS, why would we put Walker back in the situation that got him released before the '99 season?
Translation: Arturo Freeman is a better fit in this defense.

Yeah....... What he said!!!!

I'll say this - I liked Brian Walker a lot and I was sad to see him go. But when another team offers a 5 yr $10 million contract to a 30 year old safety - when you already have a young, fast, cheap safety waiting in the wings - you let the 30 year old player loose and you don’t look back.

But this thread shouldn’t be about ripping Brian Walker. He did an excellent job rounding out our secondary. That’s the nature of the business…Youre entitled to your opinion Dolphins2002, but it seems as if youre alone on this one.

Most of us are damn pleased with Arturo thus far. (and btw, dont be suprised if Omare Lowe is next in line for a safety position in the Miami secondary)

First of all man. Use the edit button. Posting back to back to back just makes you look like a spammer seeking attention.

If Detroits secondary is so bad then Walker should be getting bigger #'s purely out of the fact he is getting a lot more oppurtunity. The pure fact is that he isn't producing and he's getting to plays late (ie: assisted tackles)

spammer???? whats that?? Also Freeman is good, he may be fast but he doesn't make the heads up plays....like INTs and FF

Originally posted by Dolphins2002
spammer???? whats that?? Also Freeman is good, he may be fast but he doesn't make the heads up plays....like INTs and FF

I'd have to agree with you on this one dolphin2002, I liked him to. He was a better tackler and a harder hitter, he was better at positioning himself in coverage so he would be in position to make a play or make a good hit to force a fumble or interception. But I think freeman is doing ok.

Freeman is doing good. But Walker would be doing a better job. Ur the only person who has senses who agrees with me. Freeman can make tackles but doesnt make heads up plays. If hes sucha tackelr make him LB. Thats like being a DL making 80 tackles and not getting 1 sack.

Back
Top Bottom