Why do any of you like McKnight?!! | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why do any of you like McKnight?!!

Originally posted by Ozzy
Yes Chambers is the number 1, but he will most certainly be in the slot ( as u suggested ) a whole heck of a lot more this year.

Yah I've heard that but I am on a wait and see approach to see if they actually do it since I think Thompson will be a great slot receiver for this team.

I'm sympathetic to the complaints about him. I think McKnight's still there b/c he works hard and did not complain when he was left off the active roster a couple of games last year. He's a good guy, but he does make too many errors. Two fumbles and two drops (I think there were a couple more) for 29 receptions is not good.

However, this is not a problem that can't be fixed. It's not like he has bad hands, b/c often he makes great catches. The problem is really focus and concentration. If he can improve that, he'll be an excellent WR.

I would also add that I think Thompson will eventually beat him out and he'll be the #3 WR. One of the reasons he's starting now is b/c he's the only vet who knows the O, other than Chambers. But, I also think McKnight will be much better this year.

Originally posted by VanDolPhan

Yah I've heard that but I am on a wait and see approach to see if they actually do it since I think Thompson will be a great slot receiver for this team.

But one thing Thompson does rather well, is run goods routes, so he is suited for both in and outside.

I keep seeing how people say Thompson is so slow, well he has ran a 4.48 in the 40, not too shabby.

I'm not sure why people always bring up Carters drop in the end zone that was thrown behind them, but then choose to forget McKnight's fumble in that very same game...The guy is not a clutch wr and never has been throughout his career(at least as a dolphin).

I'm not sure why people always bring up Carters drop in the end zone that was thrown behind them, but then choose to forget McKnight's fumble in that very same game...The guy is not a clutch wr and never has been throughout his career(at least as a dolphin).

Firstly, Carter should have made that catch. Secondly...one of McKnights fumbles came as a direct result of a pass being thrown behind him. If he was hit in stride, he would have been in the endzone. He had to reverse direction to make the catch and the rest is history. Both instances are inexcusable.

As far as not being a "clutch WR", too often fans rely on emotions to rate a player instead of examining the facts.

Here are the facts: In 2001 James McKnight was our most productive (reception total) 3rd down pass receiver (20 third down receptions). He was the go to guy having 5 more receptions than OG & Chambers. 3rd down plays are considered Clutch plays.

Last year James McKnight had the highest reception to targeted ratio. He cought 63% of the passes thrown his direction. He was more effecient than Gadsden (55%) and Chambers (52%).

i still remember the overthrown ball out of mcknight's reach(who managed to get WIDE OPEN, btw) midway thru the 4th quarter of the patriots game that would have made the score 28-13...game over

McKnight is a reciever that is passed on last year even though he was the only reciever to go through all the camps, and doesnt get more time then Ward, and is inactive for games??? The Coaches had to bring a guy outta retirement and thrust him in the starting position cuz McKnight was so clutch??? Come on now dude!!! Mcknight is far from clutch, and most people cringe when the ball is thrown his way till hes tackled and the whistle goes. I also love how people say McKnight is so fast, such a burner, but on his big gainer against the Chargers he was caught from behind by the cb from the opposite side of the field??? I'm tired of the McKnight will emerge stuff the guy is 31??? this is his tenth year??? Sounds like a break out is about to happen...Maybe I'm wrong, but the team did everything they could not to count on him last year that should be the most telling note.

Originally posted by stan marino
McKnight is a reciever that is passed on last year even though he was the only reciever to go through all the camps, and doesnt get more time then Ward, and is inactive for games??? The Coaches had to bring a guy outta retirement and thrust him in the starting position cuz McKnight was so clutch??? Come on now dude!!! Mcknight is far from clutch, and most people cringe when the ball is thrown his way till hes tackled and the whistle goes. I also love how people say McKnight is so fast, such a burner, but on his big gainer against the Chargers he was caught from behind by the cb from the opposite side of the field??? I'm tired of the McKnight will emerge stuff the guy is 31??? this is his tenth year??? Sounds like a break out is about to happen...Maybe I'm wrong, but the team did everything they could not to count on him last year that should be the most telling note.

Yes, they did... because of the same costly mistakes that have tarnished many fans' views of him during his 2001 performances. However, when they had no other choices and finally gave his the nod, he took advantage of it and made the coaches take notice. A "Telling note" of that as you say is the fact that McKnight is schedule to make near $2 million dollars this year, and is yet to be a cap casualty... and hasn't even really been talked about by the coaches about being let go. THAT should tell you they have some faith in the fact that he may be WORTH what they will be paying him this year.

So its a good thing that our coaching staff had faith signing McKnight to this contract, then lost faith cuz he fumbled in some bad situations, and now has faith in this 31 year old wr known for his "speed"??? At what age do speed recievers start losing a step??? The fact he is making 2 million is ridiculous!! Hey maybe im wrong, I could very well be, but an ageing wide reciever who doesnt have the coaching staffs full confidence doesnt sound like he's goin to make these big strides everyone is talking about.

Originally posted by stan marino

Well, the stats say different. He has a better catch % than any of our receivers, he caught more balls on third down than any of our receivers. His YAC is by far better, his YPC is better. What else do you need to hear.....Geesh! Bottomline.....he was productive when he was put in the game, and better yet, he did this after being inactive for at least two games, which also shows his mental toughness. He has average hands at best and he will have to improve on his concentration to hold on to the ball better, that is a must. I'm not saying he's a clutch player or he's that best WR we have. But some people are way to hard on him, he's a decent WR who can play the #2 spot.

One more thing, you must have never played football before. A CB should run a WR down from the opposite side of the field. It's called "having the angle on the WR". It doesn't matter how fast a WR is, if a CB or S has the angle, he should run a WR down at least 95% of the time depending on the distance the WR has to get to the endzone. I've done so numerous times with ease. Us DB's aren't that slow either, and having the "angle" makes it that much easier for us. ;)

Eh, hes not so bad. We all know hes no superstar, but he can still be a nice role player. Some of you guys are so extreme - either a guys "awesome" or he "sucks".

I would like Thompson to keep impressing and taking starting spot away from Mcknight.

Ok well for the most part everyone disagrees with me which is cool.. thats why i like these boards. It broadens your perspective. I still dont like McDrop and probably never will... but when i laid in bed last night really upset with myself that i couldnt produce an actual game i remembered. (honestly i thought about it for hours.. cause i normally can throw something out pretty quick)..

no costly mistakes?
How about the 2 dropped passes in the 3rd and 4th QTRs of the NE game in week 17 of 2002. Both would have been 1st downs. Or how about the pass that JF technically overthrew on a separate play - McDROP actually quit running prior to the ball sailing over his head. He never attempted to adjust to it.
or
2001 Playoffs, 5 min left in the game, PHINS down 17 - 3, McDROP is heading into the endzone, JF hits him in the only place to keep DUANE STARKS from getting it. The pass hits McDROP in the hands as he goes vertical across the goal line and instead of catching it or at least just dropping it, he bats the ball into the air and then Starks picks it off and runs 20 some odd yards up the sideline.

I guess these are the games i remember the most and these are the plays that i hate. I will give McKnight the fact that he came up with some really good plays last year when NO ONE else was there to do it.. but its just not enough in my eyes.

:topic:

Originally posted by MDFINFAN

It probably would have been 32 if it weren't for McKnight's YAC..

And where it was before Lucas ruined it at 16th.

Oliver...

I think that the reason McKnight is still on the roster is the tremendous upside he can bring to a team ... The problem is that McKnight has not had any real competition for a roster spot...

This year the Dolphins have probably the best crop of wr's on the roster that the have had in about a decade ! After C Chambers there are no locks at the starting postion... The comments about D Thompson have been very intriguing !!

Sam Simmons has a 2nd year under his belt and wil have to show the coaching staff something for a roster spot .. C Rogers was brought here for s-t's,, anything else is just a bonus..

The wr I am curious about is JR Tolver.... This kid ( from the reports I have been reading ) might turn out to be another R McMichael ! A bonified STEAL !!!!!!!!!!! Marino1983

Back
Top Bottom