Why do most of you want Jay Fiedler's spot locked up and no competition with a QB? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why do most of you want Jay Fiedler's spot locked up and no competition with a QB?

finheavenfan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Most of you sound like you want fiedler to stay there and not to be challenged for a Quarterback job. In his career as a starter he has had more lows than ups. Yes injuries do count as a low, one of the most special things a player can do is stay healthy at the most needed times and its crucial against the team. I think Griese has made some big plays in his career as a starter and has the mechanics to be a a good starting quarterback in a place where he is wanted. Yes griese has had trouble in denver where he was no longer wanted and so has Ricky. If ricky can change his career over then so can Brian Griese. IF you think he should be there just to back up then think again.

I am all for the Griese signing...

and I think a lot of others are too...so I am not quite sure what your point is...

If he pushes Fiedler fine...if not...I'll take him as my no. 2.

i`d love to see griese challange fiedler for the starting spot but like i said in an earlier thread IMO wanny doesnt want fiedler under pressure from griese because he may crack(lets hope so)

wayner

I agree with you RHoffman,

if Griese is better than Fiedler, than let him start.

So we're sure to have a better backup this year than last year with either Fiedler or Griese instead of Lucas. That's how I see it.

I'm all for Griese come in and letting compete ..Just some of you think he is savior which he aint.LOL!!
Think again if you think he can win the starting job because he is not as good as most you picture him to be.Denver was so despret that they sign Jake Plummer who could could turn it around because has tools just need to make better desicion.

Lets hope Fiedler cracks? How can a fan of a team wish that upon their starting QB? Why make it an open competition and take snaps away from Jay when everyone and their grandma knows Jay is going to win that competition? The fact is Jay knows this system and has had success in it. That will be the determining factor. Jay needs to take every snap so he he becomes that much better, especially considering he is going to start barring an injury......

I think as far as QB goes, you need to have a good idea of your starter will be, that way he gets most of the work with the other starters in mini and training camps. But, I think you should also leave the door open to make a change, if the play of the back-up QB warrants it, as compared to the play of the incumbent starter.

St, Louis, for example, should have went with Bulger over Warner IMO. Warner only retained the job because of what he's done in past years, not what he was doing in the present.

Absolutelly, let them compete. But from what I've read, Griese has some changing to do. Players have to want to play for you and Griese is not a team guy. I've heard and read that from the very beginning in Denver. If he can get his act together maybe he can be better than Fiedler. If that's true, he should start.

I dont think you're reading between the lines

It's not a good idea to start off the season with a "Openly Public" qb controversy... with that said, I think the FO is telling Griese on the sly that he will have a chance to come in and unseat Feidler. It's the same situation with Eddie Moore. I wouldn't be suprised if this kid really shines and he unseats greenwood as the starter.

IMHO I don't think there's any free agent qb or soon to be free agent qb out there that's going to come in here and be more successful than JF, especially early in the year, for the simple fact that JF already has one year of NT offense under his belt.

Jay has't had long enough success wake up. Our offense is more built on a power running game and efficient passing. I don't care if your momma is injured or your pappa or your starting qb if he hasn't been a Dan Marino type of passer of as an efficient passer in at least a season it shouldn't be a no brainer to opt out or let two veteran qb's play. Of course Griese is younger than Fiedler and in how things are designed in our offense I don't see Fiedler doing anything that Griese can't(more like the other way around). There wasn't much required of fiedler than to make sure that every play is executed correctly from a quarterback standpoint. Yes he had 5 games of success but that isn't enough to measure anything because of his last 2 lackluster seasons.

Griese still has time in the nfl to adjust to a different team and begin a new lifestyle. He's made better plays as a Bronco than fiedler has done as a dolphin. Yes that oakland game where fielder won the game by himself was nice but he didn't do it throwing around the football. Bazinet in the other hand sounds like he is too much inlove with fiedler, he learned the system with us and that was expected out of an offensive leader. Griese in the other hand has experience with a similar system in Denver and he can get use to how we do things.

Jesus...how much more pressure could Jay be under with Griese backing him up? Dolphins fans were calling for his head from day 1...what are they going to do...throw lawn darts on the field to try and drive him off? Bringing Brian in is nothing but a good thing...assuming Brian doesn't play hide and seek at the other end of the bench whenever things go sour.

Originally posted by Bazinet37
Lets hope Fiedler cracks? How can a fan of a team wish that upon their starting QB? Why make it an open competition and take snaps away from Jay when everyone and their grandma knows Jay is going to win that competition? The fact is Jay knows this system and has had success in it. That will be the determining factor. Jay needs to take every snap so he he becomes that much better, especially considering he is going to start barring an injury......

HOw much better has he become. We have seen for 3 seasons what Jay fiedler can do. Do you call 5 games success? All he has been doing in the system is delivering the ball and following the structure of the play. He hasn't broken out and made things happen. In fact, Jay Fielder isn't the most accurate passer out there and far from it. If you see every dolphins game you'll know that you will see a lot of overthrown/underthrown/unaccurate passes. So please don't make Fiedler sound like a hall of fame quarterback, an open competition will probably go against him and I hope he would get injured so another quarterback can do something better than a decent job.

Originally posted by PhinPhan1227
Jesus...how much more pressure could Jay be under with Griese backing him up? Dolphins fans were calling for his head from day 1...what are they going to do...throw lawn darts on the field to try and drive him off? Bringing Brian in is nothing but a good thing...assuming Brian doesn't play hide and seek at the other end of the bench whenever things go sour.

This will definately be his last year. Unless he completes for a Pro Bowl spot which he doesn't have good enough stats to produce.

I'm in love with Jay? Very mature bro. You ever played orgainized football? Do you realize how hard it is to learn a playbook? I'm a really smart guy, and it took my about a month to learn the very basic defense we play down here. Offense, especially Norv's complicated offense, is a lot harder to learn. Jay is an Ivy League graduate, and he is STILL learning the system. Its called being a realist. Do I wish Griese came here, learned the playbook in a month, and won the starting job? I sure do. Do I think its possible that it will happen? Not a chance. So instead of attacking me personally for sharing the probable truth with you, why don't you give me an educated response as to why Griese should be the starter over Jay.......

Originally posted by finheavenfan
Most of you sound like you want fiedler to stay there and not to be challenged for a Quarterback job. In his career as a starter he has had more lows than ups. Yes injuries do count as a low, one of the most special things a player can do is stay healthy at the most needed times and its crucial against the team. I think Griese has made some big plays in his career as a starter and has the mechanics to be a a good starting quarterback in a place where he is wanted. Yes griese has had trouble in denver where he was no longer wanted and so has Ricky. If ricky can change his career over then so can Brian Griese. IF you think he should be there just to back up then think again.

Jay is our starter, it's just that simple. Griese cannot come in here with the mindset that he can take the spot without earning it. However playing well in the pre-season is not going to cut it either. The pre-season is meaningless; we all know that from Lucas's performance in the pre-season compared to his regular-season performance last year.

Griese has to earn that right, and it's not going to take a few months. Like it or not Jay is well liked by his team mates and his team mates believe in Jay. Especially after what took place with Lucas last year. We found out just how good Jay is, and how important he is in helping to win games for this team.

However, I think if Jay goes down with injury this year and Griese plays well, Griese will remain the starter. If Fiedler does not get hurt and even if he has a solid season Griese will push him for the starting spot next off-season. The only way Jay will not be challenged by Griese after injury or by next off-season is if Fiedler is a pro-bowl QB this year.

Oliver...

Back
Top Bottom