Why does the defense SUCK... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why does the defense SUCK...

Stamos

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
In the second half of the season? Why does everyone assume changing this or that on offense will suddenly put a team with this "caliber defense" into title contention? Why does no one talk about all the short comings of this defensive unit? Why hasn't Jim Bates been fired, considering all the "talent" he's got to work with. Why does a 26th ranked passing offense so vastly overshadow a 19th ranked pass defense?

I know I know, only thing that matters is points per game. Lets talk about that for a second. First 7 games, the Dolphins yielded 20 points just once. Last 9 games, they surrendered atleast 20 points 6 times. Included in those 3 games not allowing 20 points, was a QB making his first start in 2 years for Baltimore and a snowy mess in New England that had not occured we could've been looking at 21+ point blow out.

And what turned out to be the game that ended our playoff hopes, we gave up a season high 34 points.

All this makes me wonder why Jay Fiedler and the offense get SO MUCH of the blame, and why so little time is spent bashing this "great" defense.

No, but when it comes to being overrated, were head and shoulders the best in the league.

even the best defenses, struggle sometimes, but the team finds a way to win the game (like the patriots)
the problem with the dolphins D is that they choose the worst moment to stumble, and of course, we know the dolphins depend a lot on the defense. with a good offense this souldn`t be a big deal unless boths units choose the same moment to underachieve, which will likely happen anyway :mad:

Originally posted by Stamos
In the second half of the season? Why does everyone assume changing this or that on offense will suddenly put a team with this "caliber defense" into title contention? Why does no one talk about all the short comings of this defensive unit? Why hasn't Jim Bates been fired, considering all the "talent" he's got to work with. Why does a 26th ranked passing offense so vastly overshadow a 19th ranked pass defense?

I know I know, only thing that matters is points per game. Lets talk about that for a second. First 7 games, the Dolphins yielded 20 points just once. Last 9 games, they surrendered atleast 20 points 6 times. Included in those 3 games not allowing 20 points, was a QB making his first start in 2 years for Baltimore and a snowy mess in New England that had not occured we could've been looking at 21+ point blow out.

And what turned out to be the game that ended our playoff hopes, we gave up a season high 34 points.

All this makes me wonder why Jay Fiedler and the offense get SO MUCH of the blame, and why so little time is spent bashing this "great" defense.

I thought they improved their play from the 2002 season. We have to remember this D held the Patriots to 3 points in their house.

Not only that, but as unit they improved their road performance leaps and bounds.

If anything I'd have to say our offense let us down last year.

Oliver...

Personally I think it sucks because of the secondary above all else. No not Madison, Marion. He blows so many assignments its ridiculous. Besides he can't hit that well either. When you say Pro Bowl, I respond Ruben Brown. As for it's wrong to get rid of a such a great veteran bull****, Milloy seemed to work and he is a lot better than Marion.

Not many defenses can dominate every single week. As you should know...take the Pats #1 ranked defense as an example....

When the Patriots played the Colts in the reg season it went a long way in determining home field advantage for the AFC. The Pats powerhouse defense gave up 34 points. A disappointing performance when home field was on the line. The Pats also gave up 19 points in the 4th qtr of the Super Bowl. A disappointing performance when the championship is on the line. The Dolphin defense gave up 34 when they played the Eagles. A disappointing performance when the playoffs were on the line.

Notice the difference?..the Patriot offense made it a non-factor...that's all Miami needs...a better offense. Miami's defense also came up big in other games. How about the Fins defense up in NE. Miami totally dominated.

Originally posted by Gladsadmad
Not many defenses can dominate every single week. As you should know...take the Pats #1 ranked defense as an example....

When the Patriots played the Colts in the reg season it went a long way in determining home field advantage for the AFC. The Pats powerhouse defense gave up 34 points. A disappointing performance when home field was on the line. The Pats also gave up 19 points in the 4th qtr of the Super Bowl. A disappointing performance when the championship is on the line. The Dolphin defense gave up 34 when they played the Eagles. A disappointing performance when the playoffs were on the line.

Notice the difference?..the Patriot offense made it a non-factor...that's all Miami needs...a better offense. Miami's defense also came up big in other games. How about the Fins defense up in NE. Miami totally dominated.

So the offense should've scored 40 against Philly?

Originally posted by Stamos

So the offense should've scored 40 against Philly?

Guess what? When the Pats (#1 defense) gave up 34 to the Colts....their offense scored 38!

The answer is YES!! Is that so impossible? There's no way that Miami can have an explosive offense? The Patriots managed to pull it off. Miami has some great talent on the offense...they just need a better QB...and maybe they can actually win a shootout if the defense has a bad game. I'm not saying every single week, but when it happens...when the D fails..the offense needs to pick up the slack. Go ahead, look it up...it happens alot in the NFL...teams with good defenses that have bad games win because the offense picks it up.

By the way...the Dolphin defense doesn't stink very often.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll go further to prove my point..

The Ravens have a good defense right? Against Seattle they gave up 41 points..guess what? They scored 44. They won!

The Titans have a good defense right? Against Atlanta they gave up 31 points...guess what? They scored 38.They Won!

The Cowboys have a good defense right? Against the Giants they gave up 32 points...guess what? They scored 35. They won!

You get the idea.

The defense is not the problem and never has been they do what they should and more. Have you watched the games or what. The D did a good job in alot of big games this year. The O only showed up for about two. In both the games against NE they showed up. If Mare wouldnt have missed both kicks we could have one the first.In the second Jay threw an interception to the house and got sacked in the endzone. The Patiots only points on offense came on a field goal that shouldnt even of been considered good cause it was outside the posts or half-way out. Are D gave us plenty of oppurtunities to win the Indy game. Buckley gave us the chance to win the game down by 6 with the ball on the 16 with about 1:30 left. What happens sorry *** Wade Smith forgets to even come close to putting a block on Freeney and Griese is blindsided and fumbles. Two or three downs and it was over. All these games would have been different if are Offense was better so actually are D doesnt need the help. They did have games that they could have played better but every D in the league does. That is when a good offense is supposed to back them up. Plus they did do good in the last three weeks of the season.

Originally posted by Brad528
That is when a good offense is supposed to back them up. Plus they did do good in the last three weeks of the season.

You mean like the Eagles game? When EVERYTHING was on the line and the defense flat out choked, much like they did last year @ New England when the offense had the game won. And what would've happen against Washington and Dallas if the offense didn't "back them up" and win those games for us. We'd have been 8-8.

No one can dispute how good the defense was for the first half the season, but like wise making excuses for there second half short comings, not only this season but last, is flat out homerish. They don't deserve to have excuses made for them, because they played great against San Diego when the game was moved, or when they held Anthony Wright and the Ravens to 6 points.

The Defense gave us as many chances to win games in the second half of the season, as they did lose games.

I like what I see from this defense.. This defense was not blessed with an excellent run game this year like in 2002 and they didnt have an offense that could put together consistent drives to keep them off the field for practically all year.. Yet Miami ended up 4th in points allowed..

It's easy to forget, but early in the season, the defense was the sole reaosn why Miami was winning games against the Giants, Bills, Jaguars, Chargers and had the offense set to beat the Patriots not once.. but Twice...

Very difficult to blame a squad that brought the wood every week.

Originally posted by RUDEbyallMEANS

Very difficult to blame a squad that brought the wood every week.

ya, except when it counts. But after what happened last year, I guess its to be expected.

We pay the defense to win games when they count...money well spent. :(

I guess the phrase it doesn't matter how you start, but how you finish, doesn't apply in Miami anyway.

Afterall, were kings of september still. Thanks to the defense....WOOOFRIGGINHOOOO

Back
Top Bottom