Why does the defense SUCK... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why does the defense SUCK...

Originally posted by Stamos
Anyone brave enough to stand up and agree with me? Or do you feel more comfortable passing the blame solely on offense, so you can sleep easier thinking were better then we really are.

Defensively they have gotten worst from 02', in just about every category except points allowed...

Stamos I totally agree with you 2. I have made numerous posts in other threads about our defensive inenptitudes at times. We are paying 2/3 of the CAP money on this defense and this team is structure for the D to win games, period. Well the D wins games and the team win games, but for the most part they are against <.500 teams...

Here are a few D stats between 2002 and last year (03):

02- # 3 tot y/g (291)
03- # 10 " " (299)

02- # 7 in 3rd down att
03- # 21 " " " "

02- # 8 pass yds p/g
03- # 19 " " "

02- # 5 in rush att p/g
03- # 22 " " " "

02- # 5 in rush TD (7)
03- # 12 " " " (11)

02- # 9 in FD p/g
03- # 13 " " "

I could goooo on and look and state more facts, but the info above shows were this D has deteriorated from last year....

I agree with some of the posters that a good offense can help out a good D when its having a bad game. But let us not forget that we have only won about 30% of the games over the last 4 years against teams that are over .500 and withing those losses our offense have scored over 21 points.

What I would like to add that YES we need to get more talent in this offense to help us win those games, cause when it comes down to an above .500 opponent, we need to help out the D.

The Bottom line is our defense has been deteriorating in just about every porduction category and we were still putting milions of $$$ into it. So don't blame the offense for that...

[EDITED]- Since 1998 there have been 19 defensive players and 1 offensive player selected to the PB...

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Gladsadmad

Guess what? When the Pats (#1 defense) gave up 34 to the Colts....their offense scored 38!

Miami has some great talent on the offense...they just need a better QB...and maybe they can actually win a shootout if the defense has a bad game.

Thats the most ignorant comment I'v yet to see. QB isnt the main problem (not that an upgrade would be bad).

How about an offensive line that can actually lock up the opposing Dline and give whatever qb is in there some actual time to find a reciever. Or how about opening up some holes for Williams to run thru. Maybe some more recievers that can get open consistently and make something happen. Theres so many holes on offense. The only "great" talent miami has is chambers, williams, mcmichael and konrad. Everyone else is average at best.

The D HAS to step up and shut them down, theyre getting 2/3 of the salary cap money. No excuses, this overratted underachieving defense CHOKES at the worst possible times.

Our defense is great...............PERIOD.

What Stamos seems to want is a defense that is the best of all time.....

The biggest game of the year, the defense gave up 3 points...........and don't tell me about the conditions..............the conditions were worst in the NE / Tenn playoff game.....and those offenses were fine........

Every defense has let downs..........ours had two...........Tenn / Philly.

Your offense some times must out score your opponent..........Look at that vaunted Pats D.............they let down much more than the Fins did.........but they had a offense bail them out............

Our Defense goes into games with much more pressure on them than any other D and they seem to hold up...........Our defense was responsible for 8 wins and responsible for 2 losses.

Our Defense: 8-2-2

Our Offense: 0-4-2

(They shared credit for the Cowboys and 2nd Jets wins)

I"m passing the blame on the passing attack, or lack of it as the case may be. When we have a prototype N.F.L. passing attack that other teams have to respect we can talk about issuing blame elsewhere. Meantime, you are more than entitled to your opinion and you're entitled to hate Bates. Sometimes I hate him too!

Cris, IMO Konrad has not earned "GREAT" to be penned in next to his name. He's not even going to Pro Bowls. He is good to very good but in his defense he is underused.

In the second half of the season? Why does everyone assume changing this or that on offense will suddenly put a team with this &quot;caliber defense&quot; into title contention? Why does no one talk about all the short comings of this defensive unit? Why hasn't Jim Bates been fired, considering all the &quot;talent&quot; he's got to work with. Why does a 26th ranked passing offense so vastly overshadow a 19th ranked pass defense?

I know I know, only thing that matters is points per game. Lets talk about that for a second. First 7 games, the Dolphins yielded 20 points just once. Last 9 games, they surrendered atleast 20 points 6 times. Included in those 3 games not allowing 20 points, was a QB making his first start in 2 years for Baltimore and a snowy mess in New England that had not occured we could've been looking at 21+ point blow out.

And what turned out to be the game that ended our playoff hopes, we gave up a season high 34 points.

All this makes me wonder why Jay Fiedler and the offense get SO MUCH of the blame, and why so little time is spent bashing this &quot;great&quot; defense.

That's a great point Stamos. I think this defense is too ****y, and far too full of themselves...

There are too many inflated egos on this defense IMO. They need to be removed, and replaced with younger, cheaper, and more hungry players...

This defense is soft. They simply aren't physical enough IMO....

PHINZ RULE!!!!:pirate:

Stamos you are way out of line for bashing the defense. You want to know why the defense fades at the end of the year. Because they are on the field for so damn long they get worn out. How many 3 and outs does the offense have time and time again. The offense cannot consistently control the clock. All throughout the year the offense consistently barely held on to the ball. The defense is always out on the field all year long and sooner or later its gonna wear the players down. The offense may have comeback and won against washington but where were they in the first 3 quarters the defense held them in check the second half. And in dallas we killed the cowgirls so the defense didnt have to play lights out ball. And dont forget Philly was the number one seed in the nfc why was that cause they suck. They had injuries in the playoffs and thats why their offense struggled. Our defense isnt perfect no ones d is perfect but with an offense that could hold onto the ball for consistenly put up points our defense is good enough to win the superbow. And about losing in new england the year before how many firstdowns did the offense get on the last drive that would of iced the game. 0 thats how many. Our defense is more of a bend but dont break defense and they gave up the fieldgoals the whole damn team blew it that game not just the defense.

Originally posted by Gladsadmad
I just can't see Miami doing anything else to &quot;fix&quot; the defense. If they spend any more money on that side of the ball people will be furious. We'll just have to live with it I guess.

&quot;I am not foolish enough to judge a whole season on one performance, like your citing with the Patriots in the superbowl.&quot;

Foolish..'eh? One performance..'eh? OK, here ya go..

Pats gave up 30 to the Titans
Pats gave up 31 to the Bills
Pats gave up 26 to the Broncos
Pats gave up 34 to the Colts
Pats gave up 29 to the Panthers

That more than one..'eh?

These are good points to take, to breakdown the events leading to them. For the most part the offense really did not do much of a rally to help the defense. Most of the games the offense was ahead...

In the Titans games T. Law ran in an INT for a TD in the 4th quarter sealing the victory. The Pats were ahead at the start of the 4th quarter 21-16. The NE offense score 10 points in that quarter, while the defense gave up 14...

Yes they beat the Bill 31-0, but also lost the first Bills game 31-0, T. Brady threw for 4 INT including 1 for a TD, 2 sacks, and was benched in the 4th....

In the Broncos it was a great defensive effort in the second half. The team was down 14-24 at the start of the 4th. The defense shutout Denver offense in the second half. The only points scored by Denver in the second half was by a punt return for a TD and a 2 point conv...

In the Colts game, the offense score alot of points in the first half (24). The offense score 14 in the last 2 quarters with the help of 1 TO from their defense. Also T. Brady's 2 INT in NE territory led to 2 Indi TDs in the 3rd quarter. This is what led to the Indi comeback, and then there was the NE DEFENSIVE STOP in the goal line, to end the game (Indi had 4 chances from the NE 1 yd). Remember the fake injury to McGinnest foot...

Then there is the Panthers game, one of the best SB I have seen. The offenses for both teams lit up the scoreboard after adjustments in the 2nd and 4th quarter. The team that would end up with the ball the last would have the opportunity to win. As we all know NE had over a minute and all time outs, I believe and for the record Brady was never sacked and the O-line blocked well for the run...

There was 10 games in the year where the NE D avg 10 pts per game (not inc Finz game or those games mention above). Also their D alowed an avg 14 pts in their 2 first PO games....

Bottom line, the O helped to win some of those games by getting ahead early. The O also was the cause of opponents making comebacks against them, but in the end the defense came up with stops to help the O...

Originally posted by BSQX4
I&quot;m passing the blame on the passing attack, or lack of it as the case may be. When we have a prototype N.F.L. passing attack that other teams have to respect we can talk about issuing blame elsewhere. Meantime, you are more than entitled to your opinion and you're entitled to hate Bates. Sometimes I hate him too!

How can you blame the offense when the money is spent on the defense. This team expects the defense to win games period... It does not depend on the offense or else they would put the money there or balance in a way that its a team victory. Blame the GM and coaching staff for selecting the O players, but please don't blame the players in our poor, neglected O...

Remember the Shula years???

Marino and the offense could not win games and we blamed the defense because they were not talented enough and we were not spending the money there...

Well the offense was supposed to have won games for us then, because thats were our money (about 3/4) was tied up with. But we blamed the defense because we had to score over 30 points per game to win them...

Now 2/3 of our money is on the defense but we blame the mediocre O unit for the results. The only probowler their for the last 4 years was RW. All our talent is on the D and they are expected to win the games for us...

We have overachieved as a team, this year and every year for the last 4 years IMO...

Originally posted by Section126
Our defense is great...............PERIOD.

What Stamos seems to want is a defense that is the best of all time.....

The biggest game of the year, the defense gave up 3 points...........and don't tell me about the conditions..............the conditions were worst in the NE / Tenn playoff game.....and those offenses were fine........

Every defense has let downs..........ours had two...........Tenn / Philly.

Your offense some times must out score your opponent..........Look at that vaunted Pats D.............they let down much more than the Fins did.........but they had a offense bail them out............

Our Defense goes into games with much more pressure on them than any other D and they seem to hold up...........Our defense was responsible for 8 wins and responsible for 2 losses.

Our Defense: 8-2-2

Our Offense: 0-4-2

(They shared credit for the Cowboys and 2nd Jets wins)

I apologize if this sounds sarcastic, its not meant 2 be that way....

Those wins are against <.500 teams right :confused:

It doesn not give me alot of comfort when we win about 30% of our games against teams .500 and above over the last 4 years...

I'm with Ct.

Out defense is not overrated but they are human. They will get tired! The O has to drive a little and convert series so the D can regroup or atleast catch thier breath. I have only been disapointed in our D one game this season and that was the philly game. Some would say the Tennessee game too, but I think Zack being out played a huge part in that.

So yeah I agree with the current focus on O. You will see our defense being a lot better once the O gets better.

Originally posted by BSQX4
Cris, IMO Konrad has not earned &quot;GREAT&quot; to be penned in next to his name. He's not even going to Pro Bowls. He is good to very good but in his defense he is underused.

I agree, just didnt want to call him average like the rest because if used more he would be a decent weapon out of the backfield.

In the second half of the season? Why does everyone assume changing this or that on offense will suddenly put a team with this &quot;caliber defense&quot; into title contention? Why does no one talk about all the short comings of this defensive unit? Why hasn't Jim Bates been fired, considering all the &quot;talent&quot; he's got to work with. Why does a 26th ranked passing offense so vastly overshadow a 19th ranked pass defense?

I know I know, only thing that matters is points per game. Lets talk about that for a second. First 7 games, the Dolphins yielded 20 points just once. Last 9 games, they surrendered atleast 20 points 6 times. Included in those 3 games not allowing 20 points, was a QB making his first start in 2 years for Baltimore and a snowy mess in New England that had not occured we could've been looking at 21+ point blow out.

And what turned out to be the game that ended our playoff hopes, we gave up a season high 34 points.

All this makes me wonder why Jay Fiedler and the offense get SO MUCH of the blame, and why so little time is spent bashing this &quot;great&quot; defense.

i agree Stamos and i can only *** 2 words to that..............

Wanny's Weenies !!! ;)

Originally posted by Crisdeman

Thats the most ignorant comment I'v yet to see. QB isnt the main problem (not that an upgrade would be bad).

How about an offensive line that can actually lock up the opposing Dline and give whatever qb is in there some actual time to find a reciever. Or how about opening up some holes for Williams to run thru. Maybe some more recievers that can get open consistently and make something happen. Theres so many holes on offense. The only &quot;great&quot; talent miami has is chambers, williams, mcmichael and konrad. Everyone else is average at best.

The D HAS to step up and shut them down, theyre getting 2/3 of the salary cap money. No excuses, this overratted underachieving defense CHOKES at the worst possible times.

What's your problem, man? You say my comment is ignorant...which to me is the same thing as calling me ignorant. There's no reason for that. If you don't understand what I'm trying to say or if you don't know what point I'm trying to make...just ask me...don't insult me.

I didn't mean that Miami only needs a QB to improve on offense..I am a Dolphin fan, you know. Give me some freakin' credit. I watched the games..I saw the pathetic offensive line. If you read the entire post, you would have seen that the point I was trying to make to Stamos is that if Miami has a top 10 offense...it would take pressure off of the defense. You attacked that one little part of my posts where I mentioned QB as a need.

Next time, read the whole thing...and try to understand the point that I'm trying to make before you throw insults. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom