Why draft O Line over WR? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why draft O Line over WR?

You can't compare losing your two starting OTs going into SB to developing rookies. Redicilous comparison in my eyes.
Yes, but there is a similarity between Tua’s worst games (Denver/LV) and Mahomes in the SB. When a defense doesn’t respect your OL, and knows they can get to the QB all day, it is going to be a rough game. It’s not knocking the rookies so much as saying we need a long term solution at center and either a guard or RT.

I personally would much rather take Parsons at 6 then Sewell or Slater if we don't go with the best offensive weapon available. I absolutely do think Sewell and Slater are going to be really good, but my worry is being so young on the offensive line are we going to be able to have sustainability with all those players. Let's say all the picks from the oline pan out as quality starters, are we going to be able to keep afford all of them. I do know that this is a problem that most teams have to deal with as well but it still should be considered.
No they will not be able to keep all of the offensive lineman if all the offensive lineman they drafted last year turn out to be solid starters. Yet that is just the way the NFL works and is also the reason they need to try and add at least one quality offensive lineman in every draft.

No they will not be able to keep all of the offensive lineman if all the offensive lineman they drafted last year turn out to be solid starters. Yet that is just the way the NFL works and is also the reason they need to try and add at least one quality offensive lineman in every draft.
I don't disagree with you but I'm not seeing the value in the first round this year considering all of our other needs, however I absolutely want to pick a Center in the first two days.

After drafting 3 promising olmen in the 1st 4 rounds last I'd be shocked if they took one in the 1st this. A center/ guard in the 2nd, yes I can see that, but I think they give Jackson, Hunt and Kindley at least another year before they even start thinking about another early tackle.

Reread your sentence. It implies that anyone who sees it differently is just oblivious to the obvious, and isn't thinking logically. Sometimes it isn't what someone says. It's how they say it.

That is true but, whatever the reasons, it doesn't change the reality of the likely outcome. Aren't you expecting a guy drafted that high to come in and make immediate impact as well?

I'm on board with drafting Pitts if available because I can see a unique player that can be used to create physical mismatches from multiple alignments. If he were a typical TE, I wouldn't even consider it. That is exactly how I see the WRs in question, typical. Not bad players, but not anything special either. I don't see that big of a gap between the top three, and the next half dozen to focus on a single, written in stone strategy. When/if Tua becomes a top QB (the game slows down, he makes the reads, executes without hesitation) those chunk plays will come.

We did have issues at WR that need to be addressed, no doubt about it.

First of all, we need a speed guy that can run good routes and can catch. Fuller can be that, albeit temporarily. Wilson is another option. Waddle certainly fits that requirement as well.

I've never said ignore the position, I just question if the best way to go about it is spend #6.

There are two types of teams that lean towards drafting solely for need in the top two rounds. Those that already have a strong overall roster, and those that never will. Anyway, in my first reference, I said "value", not need. I see them as two different things.

A team may "need" a center or gaurd, but it's generally not a good value to take one in the top half of rd1. That was the context of "need". Can you see the subtle difference in terms?
Yes I see the difference between need and value. As far as WR's not being special, what would a WR need to do in his college career for you to consider him special?

I get that we both see it different as to how to use our resources and that's fine. Every time anybody here ask a question about what we should do you get 100 different answers.

Here's the good news for you. I don't get to make any decisions. The FO/HC will make those and all we can do is hope for the best cause they're not going to ask any of us for our opinion.

Yes I see the difference between need and value. As far as WR's not being special, what would a WR need to do in his college career for you to consider him special?
Excellent, and fair question.

My answer is nothing, unless they are so physically dominating with size and speed, while also being route technicians. That is the only way I apply the "special" label on a WR.

It's just too hit or miss for my liking, and that goes directly back to value.

A prime example is when someone points to Harrison as a reason Smith can be successful (I know I'm beating a dead and decaying horse carcus). One guy, two decades ago, is a lousy arguement. Could he be All Pro great? Absolutely, but the odds are heavy against it.

I don't disagree with you but I'm not seeing the value in the first round this year considering all of our other needs, however I absolutely want to pick a Center in the first two days.
I don’t know if Sewell is the ‘’generational” talent many have stated he could be. I have only seen him play in one game in 2019 and he opted out in 2020. So what kind of talent he may or may not be is something Grier would have to try and determine if he is still on the board at 6.

Yet if Grier thinks Sewell is the best tackle to be in the draft in years, he would certainly be worth drafting at 6. The Dolphins would still have 3 more picks in the next 44 picks to draft those other areas of need. I am not advocating for drafting Sewell because I think taking a receiver is the biggest need but you just don’t bypass a generational player if you have the opportunity to draft that player.

Of course many people think Pitts is a “generational” talent too. So it is going to be very interesting to see what Grier will do if Pitts, Sewell, and two of the top three WR’s are still on the board at 6.

I am just glad it’s his job and not mine to make that pick.

I get that we both see it different as to how to use our resources and that's fine. Every time anybody here ask a question about what we should do you get 100 different answers.

Here's the good news for you. I don't get to make any decisions. The FO/HC will make those and all we can do is hope for the best cause they're not going to ask any of us for our opinion.
By the way, I'm actually warming up to Waddle.

I can see him being very effective from the slot. Just don't know that I want a slot @6 either.

Luv ya Danny. If I owned a team, you can run my draft.......lol. We might not win, but it would be exciting offense.......

I can see him being very effective from the slot. Just don't know that I want a slot @6 either.

Luv ya Danny. If I owned a team, you can run my draft.......lol. We might not win, but it would be exciting offense.......

Ps Jerry Jones 🤣

Trade down from #6 if Pitts/Chase are gone and take Waddle at #9 or #10!

I don't label any Olineman as generational. I don't see how that designation can be applied to any oline guy. I don't look for 'generational' blockers. I look for generational QB, WR, RB, LB and CB.
Edit: I left DE off the list but belongs there

If they wanted Sewell that badly, they would’ve stayed at 3. I’m not sure about Slater, but he’s widely considered the 2nd best tackle. Do you really want to move up to take the 2nd best tackle at the 6th spot? Not too sure about that... The move up to 6th is not about a tackle, IMO.
The so called experts don’t seem to agree that Sewell is better that Slater. Some are saying it’s Slater. 🤷‍♂️

I don’t know if Sewell is the ‘’generational” talent many have stated he could be. I have only seen him play in one game in 2019 and he opted out in 2020. So what kind of talent he may or may not be is something Grier would have to try and determine if he is still on the board at 6.

Yet if Grier thinks Sewell is the best tackle to be in the draft in years, he would certainly be worth drafting at 6. The Dolphins would still have 3 more picks in the next 44 picks to draft those other areas of need. I am not advocating for drafting Sewell because I think taking a receiver is the biggest need but you just don’t bypass a generational player if you have the opportunity to draft that player.

Of course many people think Pitts is a “generational” talent too. So it is going to be very interesting to see what Grier will do if Pitts, Sewell, and two of the top three WR’s are still on the board at 6.

I am just glad it’s his job and not mine to make that pick.
It's definitely going to be interesting that's for sure, I also didn't see as much of Sewell as I did Slater. From what I seen I take Slater over Sewell, Slater absolutely faced more NFL ready talent. Hell his performance against Chase Young was quite impressive. But I don't like either at 6, now if we traded back with Denver at 9 I wouldn't be disappointed with Slater or Sewell, but I personally would rather have Parsons or Waddle if that was the case and they're still on the board.

Back
Top Bottom