Why Im Cutting Gase Some Slack.... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Im Cutting Gase Some Slack....

I was watching Gase's post game (or todays?) press conference. He seems so casual about everything right now. Im not sure if he's beaten down and beyond caring or just really thinks everything is ok. And hell, if it's the latter and he's right and i'm wrong, even better.
I don't read into anything said or how anything appears as having any correlation to what is actually going on.

im done cutting him slack because it has been the same screen/check down offense for 3 years regardless of who was at what position and/or injured. Same exact offense under 3 different qbs.

I dont agree with his style of offense. With a real oc, with a real nfl offensive scheme, these same players (as this season) would have had better results.

We have decent skill players in Stills, Wilson, Grant and Drake...youre telling me you have to run trick plays to generate any kind of offense?

Gase doesnt run an nfl offense, i dont know what the hell it is, ive never seen it at any level.

Why should I cut him some slack? He has proven nothing yet. Now if this was Belichick or some other coach that had been proven in the NFL and they had looked bad up to this point, I might cut them some slack. But we have no idea if this guy can do anything great. And he has to answer for the defense. He is the HEAD COACH! Why have you allowed that crap to continue, among many other things.

Two mulligan years in a row. Gase (and his apologists) better get a lot more creative with his excuses next year than his play calling to date has been.

But since Ross is making the decisions, so long as the team doesn’t finish dead last, he’ll give Gase an extension. As long as they’re playing Super Bowls in his stadium, he doesn’t give a damn if Miami is ever in one.

All you guys that want him gone let ask this...if they fire Gase this offseason, how many years does the next head coach get? Or the one after that?

its funny that gase gets a pass for how bad the o line is, yet does absolutely nothing to compensate for it with scheme and playcalling.

its funny that gase gets a pass for how bad the o line is, yet does absolutely nothing to compensate for it with scheme and playcalling.
He thought he was with that brilliant wildcat on third and one!

Gase has been under the gun lately here and Im just going to start this off with what I agree with...
  1. Two final drives of the Colts game, that was simply a bad strategy all over the board.
  2. The wildcat play in the Bills game on a crucial 3rd and 1, telegraphing a run there was simply unnecessary.
Now Fins arent scoring alot of points and it seems to be a reccuring theme since he's been here. From what I have seen, Gase wants to run a polarized scheme, I dont think thats the proper term football wise but what I mean is that he intends to spread defenses out by throwing either very short passes or very deep passes. He doesnt like the intermediate routes much.

The basic purpose of an offense is to threaten the whole field at all times and there are many ways to accomplish this. You could go vertical alot and there you go, defense has to account for the whole field, as an example.

When you look at what the team looked like at the start of the season personnel wise, it makes sense. Very different receiving options, polarizing... You've got Wilson and Grant who can catch a 5 yard pass and go all the way on any given play and you've got Parker and Still who can take it downfield... In this setting, it really doesnt matter if you spread the ball out vertically, at least not from a defense's perspective.... You still have to cover the whole field, to some extent, the same way you would if they lined up VS. a vertical offense.

What happened here is that both our threats from short passes got taken out for the season. This causes serious problems from a schematic standpoint. Who's taking those short ones to the house? Stills? Parker? Amendola?

What happened is he lost a critical part of the scheme... If Stills and Grant get IRed, its still functionnal. If Parker and Wilson get taken out, its still functionnal. Amendola is a bonus, but if he and Stills get taken out, the offense is still functionnal.

Once you lose both your short receiving threats, with that OL, you're simply ****ed, nevermind losing your starting QB for 5 games.

Now Im not saying it would've worked, and I agree he's still making questionnable calls, but Im willing to cut him some slack because, while every team deals with injuries, he basically lost the most critical ones to his offense + his starting QB for 5 games.

PS. Not everyone watches and follows Football for the same reasons Stop calling out posters you dont agree with as bad fans. If you like watching games, kick their *** and **** the draft! If you like the draft! Suck for who ever the **** you want! We're all Fins fans here!

Fins UP!

I agree with you on injuries and limitations. Given that, here's the bad side that has NOTHING to do with injuries.
A run through the A gap on 3rd and 20.
No evidence of seeing or using mismatches.
Will not put his quick receivers in motion to avoid press.
Gets a 1 point lead and plays conservative.
I'll not beat the bubble dead horse.

I think Gase could be a good HC, but he's abysmal as OC

Here are the most important issues facing the Dolphins:

1. Talent Evaluation - Harris and McMillian are busts, Geisicki and Smyth were poor uses of draft capital, Not drafting a developmental QB in the past two drafts. Signing Osweiler as a backup.
2. Defensive scheme, defensive coordinator - The wide 9 doesn't work for us, don't have the personnel for it, don't have an offense (currently) that can get a lead. Matt Burke is overmatched in every game, he is one of the worst DC's in the league.
3. Talent development - We need a coach that can develop players on the offensive line and defensive line, so we can invest fewer resources in those position groups and get more production
4. Play calling - I believe Gase needs to give up play-calling duties so he can focus on game management, and making sure the rest of the coaching staff are on the same page with regards to complementary football

The question is can Gase self-scout himself, his staff, his roster, the scheme and makes the necessary adjustments?

If you believe the answer is yes, you keep him. If you believe the answer is no, its time to move on.

Next man up isn’t really feasible in every situation. You aren’t going to have 3 Wilsons or Grants on your team. When you lose speed, or height, or strength, eventually replacing it will be impossible.

Now Wilson and Grant are young and are out for the year. That circumstance is different than signing a guy like Sitton who had a history and is on the other side of 30. Depth runs out after a while.

Since injuries occur to all teams you can only give a little slack to Gase. It isn’t his fault the injuries have come at horrible times but even with them his decision making in games can definitely be severely questioned (as pointed out in the OP’s opening comments).

Here are the most important issues facing the Dolphins:

1. Talent Evaluation - Harris and McMillian are busts, Geisicki and Smyth were poor uses of draft capital, Not drafting a developmental QB in the past two drafts. Signing Osweiler as a backup.
2. Defensive scheme, defensive coordinator - The wide 9 doesn't work for us, don't have the personnel for it, don't have an offense (currently) that can get a lead. Matt Burke is overmatched in every game, he is one of the worst DC's in the league.
3. Talent development - We need a coach that can develop players on the offensive line and defensive line, so we can invest fewer resources in those position groups and get more production
4. Play calling - I believe Gase needs to give up play-calling duties so he can focus on game management, and making sure the rest of the coaching staff are on the same page with regards to complementary football

The question is can Gase self-scout himself, his staff, his roster, the scheme and makes the necessary adjustments?

If you believe the answer is yes, you keep him. If you believe the answer is no, its time to move on.

McMillian is again, not a bust at all...this is is actual rookie year...Harris yea he is...All last year and offseason people were screaming for a TE, we got 2 and the w we got were rated pretty high by scouts across the NFL...We got the developmental QB in Luke Faulks who just happened to break his wrist....I'm sure Burke is gone after this year, but dont be surprised if one of the Ryan brothers rolls into town for the DC spot

McMillian is again, not a bust at all...this is is actual rookie year...Harris yea he is...All last year and offseason people were screaming for a TE, we got 2 and the w we got were rated pretty high by scouts across the NFL...We got the developmental QB in Luke Faulks who just happened to break his wrist....I'm sure Burke is gone after this year, but dont be surprised if one of the Ryan brothers rolls into town for the DC spot

I just don't see it with Mcmillian, gets abused in pass coverage, and haven't seen enough from a run support standpoint. Now that could also because our DTs allow linemen to get the 2nd level and block him.

I just don't see it with Mcmillian, gets abused in pass coverage, and haven't seen enough from a run support standpoint. Now that could also because our DTs allow linemen to get the 2nd level and block him.

A d I didnt think about that aspect....Vincent Taylor was playing really well alongside Godcheaux (sp?) The LB core took a huge hit when him and Hayes went down

His future might be limited to SAM...

I was watching Gase's post game (or todays?) press conference. He seems so casual about everything right now. Im not sure if he's beaten down and beyond caring or just really thinks everything is ok. And hell, if it's the latter and he's right and i'm wrong, even better.

He's always been like that in his pressers. I don't think he likes doing them. Would rather be anywhere but there it seems.

Back
Top Bottom