Why is lb being ignored?? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why is lb being ignored??

No one has yet mentioned that Greenwood will be a UFA next year and I frankly expect he will leave since he wants to be on a team where he plays all three downs. The only way we can get him to stay will be to cut Seau and keep Greenwood in as the nickle backer starting in 2005 which could happen. Coupled with Seau's age/2005 cap number and Zach's increasing age, I believe LB IS a priority. That said however I'm with the group that says look to round three or perhaps the second second rounder if we trade down.

We actually often play with just 1 LB on passing downs. In the past we have brought in Arturo Freeman as a hybrid LB/S or just chuck in 2 DB's and leave Zach in the middle. Greenwood is actually a very decent cover 'backer.

Originally posted by 72phin

What was the Dolphin record versus teams that made the playoffs last season? Look it up.

How many points did this defense give up in those games? Look it up.

Have you ever heard of Brian Westbrook? Watch the Philly game again.

And you contend this is because of Morlon Greenwood?

Derrick Rogers, "the liability", had one less tackle than Morlon, had 5 pass defensed, 2 fumble recoveries, and 1 int.

1 passed defensed ranks 101st in the NFL among linebackers.

Derrick Rodgers also played in on our nickel package, which means he was in on ALOT more players. Not only that, but Rodgers was a Weakside linebacker, not a strongside. If Morlon had stats that bad playing the same position and the same amount of time, THEN he would suck.

But you could be right. I could be wrong. 31 NFL paid GMs could be wrong. Maybe the Dolphins did make the playoffs last year.

You ARE wrong, and pretty much every proof you've posted has been soundly refuted. Nor is the idea that no GMs have offered a 3rd round pick for Morlon Greenwood at this point proof of anything. Ian Gold is still on the market too, aint he?

What was the Dolphin record versus teams that made the playoffs last season? Look it up.

How many points did this defense give up in those games? Look it up.

Have you ever heard of Brian Westbrook? Watch the Philly game again.

Daniel Graham, Marcus Pollard, Erron Kinney, Frank Wycheck? How many other tight ends do you want me to name that have torched this LB crew.

Derrick Rogers, "the liability", had one less tackle than Morlon, had 5 pass defensed, 2 fumble recoveries, and 1 int.

1 passed defensed ranks 101st in the NFL among linebackers.

You haven't heard his name called watching Dolphin games? That is the best reason that you can come up with for why he is a solid player? Maybe if he was in position and played with some hustle you might hear his name more often.

But you could be right. I could be wrong. 31 NFL paid GMs could be wrong. Maybe the Dolphins did make the playoffs last year.

Maybe one day, two people can have a healthy debate without one coming across as an arrogant prick.

Nevermind...next time I won't even bother 72.

I'm out...

Well, i wanted to just discuss the need for depth. I feel we could draft a late rd ILB to add depth behind Zach. Aslo contribute to the special teams. I feel it is a need area as well. I did not suggest we use an early pick. I too feel the o-line needs to be addresed first, but ILB should be taken before DT if a better one is there than a DT.Dolfanreal69:sr23: :sr23:

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by ChambersOwnz84

Hmmm...

Daniel Graham's 2 games vs. Miami this year:
Game 1 - 2 catches, 9 yards
Game 2 - 6 catches, 24 yards

What you failed to state was that Graham over the other 14 games of the year averaged 2 catches per game. Against the Dolphins he averaged 4 catches a game. Double his normal production.

Marcus Pollard:
vs. Miami - 2 catches, 68 yards...& if you actually WATCHED the game, 51 of those yards came off of the craziest play for us all year. I think it was raining or something, but the ball went through MARVIN HARRISON's hands, right into Pollard's.

Always an excuse ;)

If you are talking about 2003, you have no clue at all what you're talking about.
If you are talking about 2003, you were apparently watching games with orange and aqua glasses on. You have given zero explanation as to why the Dolphins give up an average of 24 pts a game to playoff caliber teams (NE 2x, Tenn, Ind, Philly). That 24 pts would rank 26th in the league. BUT, I guess that is all just something that I don't have a clue about. Don't look at the numbers. Everything is fine here. Move along.

Hmmm...

Daniel Graham's 2 games vs. Miami this year:
Game 1 - 2 catches, 9 yards
Game 2 - 6 catches, 24 yards

Marcus Pollard:
vs. Miami - 2 catches, 68 yards...& if you actually WATCHED the game, 51 of those yards came off of the craziest play for us all year. I think it was raining or something, but the ball went through MARVIN HARRISON's hands, right into Pollard's.

Erron Kinney:
vs. Miami - 1 catch, 11 yards

Frank Wycheck:
vs. Miami - 2 catches, 16 yards.

Those guys torched our LB crew? :sleep:

If you are talking about 2003, you have no clue at all what you're talking about.

:cp:

72phin - Way to completely drop all your other arguments..

What you failed to state was that Graham over the other 14 games of the year averaged 2 catches per game. Against the Dolphins he averaged 4 catches a game. Double his normal production.

You arent just splitting hairs here. You're splitting sub-atomic articles. Morlon Greenwood is obviously a problem because a player we faced twice a year had 8 receptions for 33 yards? Hello? HELLO! Anyone at home here?

If you are talking about 2003, you were apparently watching games with orange and aqua glasses on. You have given zero explanation as to why the Dolphins give up an average of 24 pts a game to playoff caliber teams (NE 2x, Tenn, Ind, Philly). That 24 pts would rank 26th in the league. BUT, I guess that is all just something that I don't have a clue about. Don't look at the numbers. Everything is fine here. Move along.

Because of Morlon Greenwood?

Originally posted by Disgustipate
72phin - Way to completely drop all your other arguments..

Because of Morlon Greenwood?

How this got focused in on Morlon, I don't know. It started as the LB corp as a whole. Many on this board will have you believe that the Dolphins are stacked at LB. They'll also tell you that the D-Line is fine. CB's - don't even bring that up.

What people can't explain is why this defense plays poorly against good competition. This defense is hardly dominating. And when you have a low-scoring ball-control offense with a first year starter at QB, you need a dominating defense (Yes, Feely will be the starter. That high of an investment is not made in a back-up). To that end, I think that the LB corp (as a whole) can and should be improved. Take a LB over Andrews? No. But, there is a good chance that he won't be available at #20. So, then what do you do. Draft a #3 WR? How does that fit in with the ball-control offense that the Dolphins run?

Bottom line question: Does this defense need to be improved? If not, how do you explain the poor play against good competition? If it does need to be improved, what position do you feel could be improved upon?

Bottom line question: Does this defense need to be improved? If not, how do you explain the poor play against good competition? If it does need to be improved, what position do you feel could be improved upon?

If that's the question then the answer (as it is taking place) is an easy one. The Dolphins 4-3 has done a masterful job at stopping the run. That is something that you can credit to the linebackers by the way.

The "pressure" has and will fall squarely on the shoulders of the secondary. The secondary has given up too many big plays. The secondary is loaded with talent but all has not fallen into to place for one reason or another. Do you release a shutdown corner for giving up 2 receptions for 90 yards and a game deciding touchdown in a game? Of course not but you do pay the corner commensurate with their play. See Madison's recent paycut for an explanation. That is the correction. The correction is not throw a talented player under the bus and try your hand with another.

When the totallity of the games are all totaled one doesn't have to seek much advice to find that this offense does not score enough to help this defense. What player can most dramatically affect your teams performance? Would it be to release a talented player to TRY to get a MORE talented player? I think not. Hell, it's been tried. See Junior Seau for Derrick Rodgers. See Sammy Knight for Arturo Freeman. See Terrell Buckley for Jamar Fletcher. That was last years answer.. You can go back to the year before and the year before to see that the defense has been improved.

The problem that is.......

Nothing has been done to improve the offense. Unless of course you figure Derrius Thompson, Taylor Whitley, or Seth Mckinney to be an improvement.

Is the fame or the talent of the players commensurate to each side of the ball? :eek:

linebacker is a big need.

we no longer are desperate for a safety, or a wide receiver.

Oline is our main priority and then lb.

talents like DJ Williams and Jonathan Vilma are gonna be really hard to pass up. Their athleticism could be a major asset to our defense.

It could also be argued that DT is has much a priority as LB....I agree that we have little depth in the LB core and E. Moore is a ? But Timbo and Zygonia will need to be replaced soon as well...who steps in for those guys....Our defense is predicated on the middle of the Dline keeping blockers off of ZT... A DL injury or a LB injury spells the same trouble....

Back
Top Bottom