Why is NFL called "Foot-ball"?? What a Joke. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why is NFL called "Foot-ball"?? What a Joke.

Dolfan02

Somebody kick Huizenga for me
Reaction score
... that would be like calling the NFL Champions the "World" Champions or the MLB finals the "World" Series, even though all teams are American club teams.... OH WAIT..

With all the recent soccer-bashing in this forum by typical ignorant Yanks, it's time for me to open their eyes. I'm a fan of both NFL (American football) and soccer (football), maybe soccer moreso. Yes, soccer is called 'football' WORLDWIDE, with the exception of U.S., Canada, and Australia. Don't you think it makes sense? You know, the sport you use your FOOT to kick the BALL all during the game. Why is NFL called "football"?? Beats me.

NFL is always exciting? Then why do I only watch 3 seconds of play for every 1 minute of real time on average? And why do I have to watch 5 minutes of TV commericals for every 2 minutes of "play time"? And why do I have to listen to referees freakin' narrate paragraphs for their penalties and other game delays almost every other play? Where a typical NFL play only last 3-4 seconds before NFL players can catch a "breather", soccer players are running and in-play for two non-stop 45-minute halves. In soccer, there are no timeouts, no "2-minute warning" stoppage, no quarter breaks, no constant and unlimited substitutions, no offense/defense-only teams... my gosh with all the breaks that NFL players get, no wonder you can have fat guys with pop-bellies playing American football! No wonder you can have guys "spike the ball", "slide to the ground", "take a knee", "fair catch", "throw the ball away", just to avoid a tackle even with all the excess Roman-armor protection they wear.

A typical NFL fan like yourself thinks that an NFL score of 21-7 is just that, but it really is 3-1. If soccer players were permitted to also score "3 points" (field goal) as an alternative to your main objective, by kicking the ball from a distance over the goals, soccer players would have a field day.

NFL players wear plastic helmets, excessive padding, and women's tight pants. What kind of sport is this?? American football players celebrate fanatically in groups after making just one tackle. What the heck? You should watch a game of rugby, and then you'll know what real toughness is all about. I won't get into that here, I'll stick to soccer. Soccer players don't have the luxury of departmentalization of American football players. All soccer players play defense, offense, pass, score, etc. There are only 3 substitutions allowed for each team during a game. Soccer players are not given a freakin' direct order from their coach what to do for every single play. The players, not the coaches, decide the games. Handling a soccer ball with your feet is probably one of the most diffcult things to do in sports. Then you see what some of these pros from Europe, Africa, Latin-America do with the ball... WOAH. Plus, your defender is flying into your legs with nasty slides and open cleats like missles. The rules are simple, not over-loaded, and the strategy is wide-open yet simple thus allowing individual talent to prevail. And I don't need you to bring up women's soccer or little league soccer ever again to say how you "watched soccer and made your decision". You need to PLAY it and watch the best men's pro leagues from around the World after you tried playing it several times.

Soccer is more exciting than American football by leaps and bounds. It takes focus, not a short-attention span, to watch soccer. American sports with all the timeouts, delays, and cheerleader-watching, creates a short-attention span for the typical American. Just ask yourself this...who plays American-style football? If it was so exiciting, then why is only the USA and Canada playing it after about 100 years of its existence? Whereas soccer is full-blown in Europe, Africa, South America, Central America, Middle East, and huge chucks of East Asia. And literally every country in the World (from the tiniest and poorest island nations in Oceania to the bigger countries) all have a national team that competes to qualify for the World Cup. If soccer was "so boring", then why is the whole World playing it by majority and passionately except for Canada and U.S.?

(I posted this as a response in the other thread which mocked soccer compared to American "football". Just trying to make the arguement the other way around and maybe point out the abundant flaws in NFL compared to any other sport. Unfortunately, our national sports media is like Communism. They create the opinions of most American sportsfans into believing false stereotypes of other sports and blind glorification of our own sports.)

This is the funniest post I have EVER read on a MB, to compare the boringest sport on earth to the most exciting and to do so seriously :lol:

I'd rather watch the WNBA than a soccer game, I'd rather watch bowling, golf, the X-games, surfing, lawn darts, croquet, polo, water polo, synchronized swimming, diving, figure skating, gymnastics, speed skating, ice dancing, ballroom dancing, horse racing, dog racing, **** fighting, cricket, australian rules football, women's softball, tennis, dirt bike racing, funny car racing, NASCAR, INDY Car, the tour de france, rock climbing, lumberjacking, skiing, archery, badminton, ping pong, canoe, horse jumping, karate, women's boxing, field hockey, handball, ... I could go on all day.

nyjunc said:
This is the funniest post I have EVER read on a MB, to compare the boringest sport on earth to the most exciting and to do so seriously :lol:

I'd rather watch the WNBA than a soccer game, I'd rather watch bowling, golf, the X-games, surfing, lawn darts, croquet, polo, water polo, synchronized swimming, diving, figure skating, gymnastics, speed skating, ice dancing, ballroom dancing, horse racing, dog racing, **** fighting, cricket, australian rules football, women's softball, tennis, dirt bike racing, funny car racing, NASCAR, INDY Car, the tour de france, rock climbing, lumberjacking, skiing, archery, badminton, ping pong, canoe, horse jumping, karate, women's boxing, field hockey, handball, ... I could go on all day.

Ditto :D

Dolfan02 said:
... that would be like calling the NFL Champions the "World" Champions or the MLB finals the "World" Series, even though all teams are American club teams.... OH WAIT..

With all the recent soccer-bashing in this forum by typical ignorant Yanks, it's time for me to open their eyes. I'm a fan of both NFL (American football) and soccer (football), maybe soccer moreso. Yes, soccer is called 'football' WORLDWIDE, with the exception of U.S., Canada, and Australia. Don't you think it makes sense? You know, the sport you use your FOOT to kick the BALL all during the game. Why is NFL called "football"?? Beats me.

NFL is always exciting? Then why do I only watch 3 seconds of play for every 1 minute of real time on average? And why do I have to watch 5 minutes of TV commericals for every 2 minutes of "play time"? And why do I have to listen to referees freakin' narrate paragraphs for their penalties and other game delays almost every other play? Where a typical NFL play only last 3-4 seconds before NFL players can catch a "breather", soccer players are running and in-play for two non-stop 45-minute halves. In soccer, there are no timeouts, no "2-minute warning" stoppage, no quarter breaks, no constant and unlimited substitutions, no offense/defense-only teams... my gosh with all the breaks that NFL players get, no wonder you can have fat guys with pop-bellies playing American football! No wonder you can have guys "spike the ball", "slide to the ground", "take a knee", "fair catch", "throw the ball away", just to avoid a tackle even with all the excess Roman-armor protection they wear.

A typical NFL fan like yourself thinks that an NFL score of 21-7 is just that, but it really is 3-1. If soccer players were permitted to also score "3 points" (field goal) as an alternative to your main objective, by kicking the ball from a distance over the goals, soccer players would have a field day.

NFL players wear plastic helmets, excessive padding, and women's tight pants. What kind of sport is this?? American football players celebrate fanatically in groups after making just one tackle. What the heck? You should watch a game of rugby, and then you'll know what real toughness is all about. I won't get into that here, I'll stick to soccer. Soccer players don't have the luxury of departmentalization of American football players. All soccer players play defense, offense, pass, score, etc. There are only 3 substitutions allowed for each team during a game. Soccer players are not given a freakin' direct order from their coach what to do for every single play. The players, not the coaches, decide the games. Handling a soccer ball with your feet is probably one of the most diffcult things to do in sports. Then you see what some of these pros from Europe, Africa, Latin-America do with the ball... WOAH. Plus, your defender is flying into your legs with nasty slides and open cleats like missles. The rules are simple, not over-loaded, and the strategy is wide-open yet simple thus allowing individual talent to prevail. And I don't need you to bring up women's soccer or little league soccer ever again to say how you "watched soccer and made your decision". You need to PLAY it and watch the best men's pro leagues from around the World after you tried playing it several times.

Soccer is more exciting than American football by leaps and bounds. It takes focus, not a short-attention span, to watch soccer. American sports with all the timeouts, delays, and cheerleader-watching, creates a short-attention span for the typical American. Just ask yourself this...who plays American-style football? If it was so exiciting, then why is only the USA and Canada playing it after about 100 years of its existence? Whereas soccer is full-blown in Europe, Africa, South America, Central America, Middle East, and huge chucks of East Asia. And literally every country in the World (from the tiniest and poorest island nations in Oceania to the bigger countries) all have a national team that competes to qualify for the World Cup. If soccer was "so boring", then why is the whole World playing it by majority and passionately except for Canada and U.S.?

(I posted this as a response in the other thread which mocked soccer compared to American "football". Just trying to make the arguement the other way around and maybe point out the abundant flaws in NFL compared to any other sport. Unfortunately, our national sports media is like Communism. They create the opinions of most American sportsfans into believing false stereotypes of other sports and blind glorification of our own sports.)

1. I think football (the American one) is the most exciting sport. Soccer is my second favorite sport behind that.

2. It's a name. Who gives a ****?

3. American football players are extremely tough. If they didn't wear pads, they would die.

4. Yeah, in rugby they don't wear pads, but I still think football is tougher. The hits in football are so much harder than the hits in rugby. Rugby is an extremely tough game though, no doubt about that.

5. Those who diss soccer diss it because they have never seen it, or they don't understand it. Those who understand the game love it. It's the most popular sport in the world for a reason. It's extremely exciting unlike a sport such as baseball (which I have watched a ton of times, something the soccer haters here can't say)

6. Your comment about scoring (21-7 is really 3-1) is just stupid.

5. Those who diss soccer diss it because they have never seen it, or they don't understand it. Those who understand the game love it. It's the most popular sport in the world for a reason. It's extremely exciting unlike a sport such as baseball (which I have watched a ton of times, something the soccer haters here can't say)

Actually I have tried to watch it, my Wife's family loves soccer and they have tried to convert me. I have watched the World Cup, European matches, etc... which they tell me is the best soccer in the world and I am still bored to death. Any sport where the Championship(World Cup) can come down to a shootout is just laughable. Imagine the World Series being tied and they stop the game for a HR derby? or the Super Bowl and they stop it for FG kicking contest? or the NBA Finals and theys top it for a FT shooting contest? It's assanine. The problem I have w/ soccer is not that games are low scoring(as a baseball fan I love a low scoring pitcher's duel) but that the game is mosly played in the middle third of the field and there are so few scoring chances. So I have given an honest effort to like the sport but it's just too boring for me.

nyjunc said:
Actually I have tried to watch it, my Wife's family loves soccer and they have tried to convert me. I have watched the World Cup, European matches, etc... which they tell me is the best soccer in the world and I am still bored to death. Any sport where the Championship(World Cup) can come down to a shootout is just laughable. Imagine the World Series being tied and they stop the game for a HR derby? or the Super Bowl and they stop it for FG kicking contest? or the NBA Finals and theys top it for a FT shooting contest? It's assanine. The problem I have w/ soccer is not that games are low scoring(as a baseball fan I love a low scoring pitcher's duel) but that the game is mosly played in the middle third of the field and there are so few scoring chances. So I have given an honest effort to like the sport but it's just too boring for me.

I disagree but at least you have given it a chance. As for the shootout, it doesn't happen much. First of all, there is no soccer "championship." The World Cup is the biggest competition in terms of international play, but I wouldn't say there is one soccer "championship." There are simply too many levels of the game. It would be like calling Olympic basketball the Championship of basketball (and unlike basketball, in soccer there are many big club leagues, in basketball, the NBA is by far the biggest league, which is why the NBA Champion is considered to be the best team in the world). Shootouts only happen after overtime is given a chance in an elimination game (in a league game, if the two teams are tied after 90 minutes, the game is over). After 120 minutes of playing, something has to be done. If the scores are still in a deadlock after that amount of time, a shootout is needed to determine the champion. It isn't like baseball where you can pretty much go on forever since the players are on the bench half of the time and when they aren't they aren't exactly running constantly the whole time. In soccer, players are running at full speed the whole time. You can't have that go on for more than it currently goes on for.

Soccer is my number 1 love, football is number 2.

I personally think you have to live somewhere where football is life to understand the passion. Passion is 90% of the game.

That's that as far as I'm concerned so can't we all just get along?

nyjunc said:

I'd rather watch the WNBA than a soccer game, I'd rather watch bowling, golf, the X-games, surfing, lawn darts, croquet, polo, water polo, synchronized swimming, diving, figure skating, gymnastics, speed skating, ice dancing, ballroom dancing, horse racing, dog racing, **** fighting, cricket, australian rules football, women's softball, tennis, dirt bike racing, funny car racing, NASCAR, INDY Car, the tour de france, rock climbing, lumberjacking, skiing, archery, badminton, ping pong, canoe, horse jumping, karate, women's boxing, field hockey, handball, ...

I could go on all day.

You could go on all day....and you'd still be a muppet.

Back
Top Bottom