Why is NFL called "Foot-ball"?? What a Joke. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why is NFL called "Foot-ball"?? What a Joke.

iceblizzard69 said:
1. I think football (the American one) is the most exciting sport. Soccer is my second favorite sport behind that.

2. It's a name. Who gives a ****?

3. American football players are extremely tough. If they didn't wear pads, they would die.

4. Yeah, in rugby they don't wear pads, but I still think football is tougher. The hits in football are so much harder than the hits in rugby. Rugby is an extremely tough game though, no doubt about that.

5. Those who diss soccer diss it because they have never seen it, or they don't understand it. Those who understand the game love it. It's the most popular sport in the world for a reason. It's extremely exciting unlike a sport such as baseball (which I have watched a ton of times, something the soccer haters here can't say)

6. Your comment about scoring (21-7 is really 3-1) is just stupid.

I'm not a huge fan of soccer...probably just because it isn't fast paced but I will never hate on it. The point about rubgy you made here is right though. The hits in rugby aren't as vicious, its much more likely to have your ear torn off by a cleat in rugby than to get a concussion.

The reaosn footballers hit harder is because they are wearing padding. If you hit like that without pads, people would die.

Mebeverine said:
The reaosn footballers hit harder is because they are wearing padding. If you hit like that without pads, people would die.

You could put soccer players in pads too and they wouldn't come close to hitting that hard. NFL players are the biggest and best athletes in the World.

Plenty of rugby players are the same build as football players. 7 members of England's World Cup winning team from 2003 got invited to play in the NFL.

Soccer players don't have to be that big and there game doesn't involve hitting people, so there's no need for it. Thus making your argument completely irrelevant.

I am a fan of both sports but you cant compare them.Many soccer fans dont understand why there are so many interuptions in the NFL.Its not a fluid game like soccer.I would compare it more to a combination of rugby with chess.There is a lot of strategy involved and if you dont understand the game its tough to like it.

Soccer on the other hand also has its flaws.Does anyone really like low scoring games were ties are the ultimate goal in many cases ?

Both critics of either sport are off base.Soccer is the most popular game in the world for some reason.NFL is more exciting IMO.

The only point I agree with is the misnomer of "football".Not too much "football" in the NFL.

Mebeverine said:
Plenty of rugby players are the same build as football players. 7 members of England's World Cup winning team from 2003 got invited to play in the NFL.

Soccer players don't have to be that big and there game doesn't involve hitting people, so there's no need for it. Thus making your argument completely irrelevant.

Being "invited" to try out is not offering someone a job and sometimes they do things like that for PR(such as Tony meola signing w/ the Jets in '94). Were they "invited"(i have never heard of this so I am skeptical) to be kickers or regualr players? Either way they would ahve been stomped had they gave it a try.

Martin Johnson played in the 49ers training camp: he wasn't stomped.

Jonny Wilkensen was offered lucrative contracts to sign for teams and play both running back and kicker (5'11 195 lbs), but as he is Rugby's biggest superstar he declined.

Similar to how Jonah Lomu did in 94. Lomu is 6'5 270 lbs and runs a 4.47 40. He also won 3 strong man contests back in his native New Zealand.

Ben Cohen (6'2 230) spent training camp as a WR with the Saints but also turned down a contract because of his commitments to the England national team.

Anton Oliver (6'2 250) was given the chance ages ago, but wasn't allowed to because of sponsorships etc. He was voted the Toughest Man in World Sport by SI back in 1998.

Sop being so patronizing: it is possible for guys from outside America and outside football to be physical and have the ability to play. Rugby is just as physical as football just without the padding: if they had padding they would be able to hit like footballers do.

Why do you think NFL players wear padding? because there were deaths before they did. In Rugby they outlawed hits above the waist. Both sports suffered fatalities, but the NFL didn't want to lose the exctiement of the big hit, while Rugby didn't want their players to wear pads.

I'm no rugby fan, in fact I hate rugby: your atttiude is, however, ridiculous.

Anyway it makes no difference. Soccer is the king of sports and if you don't agree you are in a minority.

This is the dumbest thread ever. If you like soccer more than football, that's great.

Anyway it makes no difference. Soccer is the king of sports and if you don't agree you are in a minority.

Soccer is King outside this Country and irrelevant here, always has been and always will be.

That's great that you posted some names and teams but I'd love to see some articles b/c something like that would be done mostly for PR and I'm pretty sure I would have heard of at least a few oft hose stunts.

Soccer is King outside this Country and irrelevant here, always has been and always will be.

Agreed.

That's great that you posted some names and teams but I'd love to see some articles b/c something like that would be done mostly for PR and I'm pretty sure I would have heard of at least a few oft hose stunts.

LOL, what kind of PR stunts don't get announced?

Anyway, due to your ignorance I did some hunting, and lo and behold. It's from before boht Cohen and Wilkinson had try outs, but long after Lomu's.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/2803133.stm

It doesn't tell the whole story but it at least proves I didn't make it up and it isn't a PR stunt.

He's talking about being a KICKER which is very different than being a regular player. No one doubts Soccer or Rugby players make great Kickers, there is talk of an Australian Rugby player coming over next year to Punt and supposedly he has a tremendous leg so no one doubts they can Punt or Kick. The argument here was about playing and just b/c one os offered a contract or is in camp does not mean they can play. They may be able to play but it might take awhile, see brock lesnar about that. He has some raw ability but the chances he ever becomes a player are remote.

Football is the most view,love and entertaining sports there is in the World.Just ask any person around the world outside of the U.S.

I wonder why American Football hasn't really set the world on fire in Europe since American Football is so much more exciting compared to REAL Football.
Now there only one team outside of Germany left in NFL Europe because Claymore folded.The league consist of only 5 teams and 4 are in Germany.

MLS is actually not doing all that bad in the U.S compared to NFLEurope.

Is not surprising to read the negative opinions on soccer in an American FOOTBALL forum.So much hate on the most beloved sports in the world but there actually people who do care about the sport in the U.S.

Just visit big soccer forum which is one of the biggest forum on the net and is based in the U.S.More than half of the register members are from U.S or now reside here.

He's talking about being a KICKER which is very different than being a regular player.

Uh-huh, but they tried him out as a running back. In Rugby kickers are players on the field as well, and WIlkinson has blazing speed.

Its true, football will never be as big as soccer on an international basis. That doesn't make soccer more exciting.

Can you imagine a Chinese football team? Wouldn't be too exciting.
How about Nigeria?

Nope, soccer is the only sport there for a reason.

Back
Top Bottom