Why is NFL called "Foot-ball"?? What a Joke. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why is NFL called "Foot-ball"?? What a Joke.

How about Nigeria?

Nope, soccer is the only sport there for a reason.

The Nigerian soccer team.

What a dream to watch.

I had the honor of meeting Jay-Jay Okocha last year. Wow, what a guy.

Meb i'm interested in knowing how that came up...
Okocha was a wonder to watch in that PSG uniform...Unfortunately he was sometimes inconsistent but in terms of talent...amazing....

Meb i'm interested in knowing how that came up...
Okocha was a wonder to watch in that PSG uniform...Unfortunately he was sometimes inconsistent but in terms of talent...amazing....

My buddy's girlfriend lives in Chorley, Bolton.

Three of us went up there to stay on July 10th this year for a week in a Travel Inn, only to find that the Inn was within 300 yards of Bolton's stadium. Needless to say we went and had a look around before going bowling. The bowling place is in an industrial estate which backs on to Bolton's stadium, so as we left it we saw a coach pulling up.

Anyway, after much hunting around we discovered it was the Bolton team coach and we snuck past security to get some autographs and watch them train. My buddy Alex, being the loud one, managed to get Jay-Jay and a couple of others to talk to us. He's a great guy - very funny, although it can be hard to make out what he is saying through the accent and the lisp :p

MLS is actually not doing all that bad in the U.S compared to NFLEurope.

MLS is only doing well in LA where they have an extremely large Mexican population and don't have a football team. I know here in NY the Liberty(WNBA team) outdraw the Metrostars and the metrostars only have any attendance at all b/c they give away free or reduced priced tickets. I honestly don't know how MLS has survived this long as they get ratings lower than infomercials on TV and have poor paid attendance.

nyjunc said:
MLS is only doing well in LA where they have an extremely large Mexican population and don't have a football team. I know here in NY the Liberty(WNBA team) outdraw the Metrostars and the metrostars only have any attendance at all b/c they give away free or reduced priced tickets. I honestly don't know how MLS has survived this long as they get ratings lower than infomercials on TV and have poor paid attendance.

I'm pretty sure the Metros average attendance is better than the Liberty's.

MLS is doing very well in DC, Chicago, LA, and Columbus. Columbus and LA already have their own stadiums, Dallas will have their own next year, and the Metrostars, DC, and Chicago will all have soccer specific stadiums in the next few years. I'm pretty sure the new team in SLC will also get a stadium of their own and I think San Jose is trying to get a stadium as well. Attendance for MLS games continues to get better and teams are now starting to make a profit. The league will not go away any time soon. If it was going to go away, it would have already.

These #s are a bit old but it was all I could find, I don't think they have changed muich and if anything they have gone down for each team. The links below shoe the Metrostars attendance in '98 and the Liberty in '01. The #s are very similar even though the Metrostars play in an 80,000 seat Stadium and the Liberty play in a 20,000 seat Arena. Both #s are inflated b/c both franchises give away a ton of tickets to make their attendance look better.

Metrostars:

http://www.infoplease.com/ipsa/A0766124.html

Liberty:

http://www.infoplease.com/ipsa/A0884231.html

nyjunc said:
These #s are a bit old but it was all I could find, I don't think they have changed muich and if anything they have gone down for each team. The links below shoe the Metrostars attendance in '98 and the Liberty in '01. The #s are very similar even though the Metrostars play in an 80,000 seat Stadium and the Liberty play in a 20,000 seat Arena. Both #s are inflated b/c both franchises give away a ton of tickets to make their attendance look better.

Metrostars:

http://www.infoplease.com/ipsa/A0766124.html

Liberty:

http://www.infoplease.com/ipsa/A0884231.html

Yup, the Metros had better attendance than the Liberty then, and the Metros attendance has gone UP since 1998.

Soccer is the fastest growing sport in the United States, and thats a proven fact. Statistics show that more young children in the United States play organized soccer over organized little league baseball, football, and basketball. However, soccer is still not yet recognized as mainstream by many Americans. And I believe that is due to the old-timers and traditonalists who run and operate the large media networks who grew up despising soccer because they were not exposed to it early on, so they push the stereotype in the media that soccer is a "foreign sport" or an "alternative sport" or a "women's sport". Yet that is just typical yankee ignorance. If you look at old archives of the US, such as old newspapers from the early 1900's, soccer at one time was the biggest sport in Division 1 college. Soccer games like Harvard versus Princeton were attracting large crowds bigger than the other sports. However, many media outlets turned against soccer and labeled it as a "foreign" and hooligan's sport. They started to only cover football and baseball games and soccer quickly fell out of the mainstream.

However, if anyone with an informed mind looks around the World (because the United States is not the world) it is quite clear that soccer reigns supreme of all the sports. And that is the reason why many Americans are picking up on soccer now, globalisation is bringing the world together and we don't have to rely on our American-centric xenophobic national media for our sports information any longer. We can see the truth now of soccer and see this sport for what it is which has been played since 1000 BC with the ancient Chinese.

I havent read this book but it got great reviews: How Soccer Explains the World

Statistics show that more young children in the United States play organized soccer over organized little league baseball, football, and basketball.

That has always been the case b/c soccer is the easiest game to play for kids. I'm not saying Soccer is an easy game just at it's basic level it is easier than playing football, basketball or baseball.

nyjunc said:
That has always been the case b/c soccer is the easiest game to play for kids. I'm not saying Soccer is an easy game just at it's basic level it is easier than playing football, basketball or baseball.
And cheaper.Not much equipment required.

No,It hasn't always been the case.Look at the statitics from 20 years back.Youth soccer is what will turn the next generation into soccer fans.

For god sakes what kind of dolphin fan are you if you insult the sport your team plays in. Otherwise why the **** do you have a dolphins avatar and signature.

Insulting the sport because of its padding is an insult to every player who has gotten injured in this game, including the people who have been paralyzed because of a career ending hit. Last time I check you don't tackle people, ram into or hit people, or anything of that sort in soccer. So what is your point? That football players shouldn't wear padding? What kind of uninformed nonsense is that?

I personally like soccer, and it is fun playing it. But that gives you no right to insult a sport that you seem to hyprocritically be a fan of based on your avatar/signature. Not to mention you insult Americans and their "lack of attention span".

Thing is though if we all liked the same things it would be a damn boring place to live. :D

Association Football (to give Soccer its proper name) is the biggest participation sport in the world for a reason , all you need is a ball and a patch of spare ground. NO need for uniforms/strips/pitches etc.

NFL is IMO a fantastic sport but not one you can get into lightly. It takes time to understand its nuances and rules, but immmesely satisfying to watch when you grasp what it is all about.

Everyone has the right to an opinion on anything but to come on to a Fins and dis their game is a bit of bad form to say the least. How would you take to it if someone came onto another forum and abused your favourite football team ?

IMO soccer will always be number one for me as its what I was brought up with , I can bet that any person brought up supporting an NFL team will say the same from their side. But the key is to respect each others choices and viewpoints. As I said before if we al lliked the same sports it would be a **** boring place to live

/hippy love in crap over now :D

BTW , i ****in h8 basketball/cricket/rugby and tennis for anyone that wants to argue :p

nyjunc said:
This is the funniest post I have EVER read on a MB, to compare the boringest sport on earth to the most exciting and to do so seriously :lol:

I'd rather watch the WNBA than a soccer game, I'd rather watch bowling, golf, the X-games, surfing, lawn darts, croquet, polo, water polo, synchronized swimming, diving, figure skating, gymnastics, speed skating, ice dancing, ballroom dancing, horse racing, dog racing, **** fighting, cricket, australian rules football, women's softball, tennis, dirt bike racing, funny car racing, NASCAR, INDY Car, the tour de france, rock climbing, lumberjacking, skiing, archery, badminton, ping pong, canoe, horse jumping, karate, women's boxing, field hockey, handball, ... I could go on all day.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: That post was classic. :roflmao:

Back
Top Bottom