Why Isn't Tannehill Further Along? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Isn't Tannehill Further Along?

Seems like most in the know already have Tanehill pegged as the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] string QB this year assuming both Garrard and Moore stay on the roster.

My question is…why isn’t the #8 pick in the draft ready to take over at starting QB (or at least challenge) when the only QBs he is competing against on the roster probably won’t make many people's top 20 starting QB list (Jaws had Moore at #26...Garrard, 34 years old and coming off back surgery)? What separates a Newton from a Tannehill? Why does it take some QBs so long to click, if it clicks at all?

I know...3 questions, but seriously, why isn't Tanehill further along?

Shouldn't you at least let training camp start before you rush to judgement?

Dan Marino didn't start till game 5, and all we had was a pathetic David Woodley.

All of our rookies have not been shining in OTAS so far so just what does that mean is it just a bad draft or practices so I guess we all should give Philbin the boot and of course fire Ireland and tell Ross to sell the team!

Shouldn't you at least let training camp start before you rush to judgement?

Dan Marino didn't start till game 5, and all we had was a pathetic David Woodley.
Hey it's July and not much to talk about for a few more weeks.

Marino comes from a whole different era. And Marino showed he was more than capable of starting by week 3 when he came in relief against the Raiders on MNF...Shula, so overrated. :) Considering Miami was just coming off the Super Bowl Shula had to at least give Woodley his due. Not quite the same situation for Miami in 2012.

Fortunate or unfortunate, if drafted in the top 10 there is an expectation to be good enough to learn on the field.

What OC comes into the new season with 100% from the season before?
They don't, but what I also meant is that the playbook will have a lot more in it than the Texas A&M book ever did.

This is part of my original point. It isn't like Tannehill has come to a team that is on roll when it comes to making the playoffs and has high expectations. We are 20-28 over the last three years with three losing seasons. Indy, Cleveland, Washington all could have gone out and signed Garrard or Henne or any number of veterans for a year or two. Heck, the Colts could have resigned Peyton Manning. My point was Tannehill is not having to compete against Brady or Rodgers or Brees...it's Garrard and Moore.
They could have, but they chose to go the route of starting their rookies day one no matter what. You know what, The Colts, Browns and Redskins are all likely going to struggle on offense and are basically saying 2012 is a waste. Andrew Luck is not going to look like the Hall Of Fame quarterback most envision him to become. He probably will end the season with more interceptions than touchdowns. The Dolphins have the talent and the schedule to make a run for an above .500 record if they have solid quarterback play. No matter how good Tannehill will become, for the 2012 season alone, Moore and Garrard LIKELY offer the team the best chance to win games. I think you could make the argument that no matter who starts between Moore and Garrard that they will have better seasons than Luck, Griffin or Weeden in 2012.

Tannehill is obviously the future and offers greater potential than Moore and Garrard, but as a rookie probably doesn't stack up quite as well. Now, if this was Tannehill a year down the road, he probably gives the Dolphins a better chance to win then Moore and Garrard.

I think Ross just goes along with whatever he is told :lol:, but clearly the plan is to let Tannehill sit for a year. I am not saying it is a bad one given the context. However, imo, if Tannehill did show signs of being further along they would be open to letting him compete for the starting job.

He is competing for the starting job, a speculation blurb from the Palm Beach Post or that Reggie Bush "thinks" he might not start the year as the starter is not concrete information that Tannehill is not competing. Don't be surprised when Garrard, Moore and Tannehill continue to share first team snaps in training camp. Tannehill is not being designated to the third string because of a speculation article.

So I disagree with the responses that are saying it is b/c we have a different situation than those others. When is there a better situation to let a rookie QB drafted in the top 10 start than have his college coach become the OC installing basically the same system he was a part of the past 4 years, drafted by a team that has a string of losing seasons, bringing in new players that can develop together and clearly doesn't have a franchise QB on the roster. I would argue that Tannehill is in the best situation to start if he were further along. Which gets back to the original question of "why isn't he" as compared to other QBs drafted in round 1.
You are right, he is in a great situation compared to the others if he would be called upon to be the starter. However, he doesn't have to start week one or even year one. Is Jake Locker a bust because he sat his rookie season and probably his second season behind Matt Hasselbeck?

Sadly, Tom Brady never amounted to anything since hes been in the league as he couldnt even beat out Bledsoe during the offseason. Ive tried telling people this to look at past example. Remember the horrible carrer Steve young had after Montana left. that time on the bench backing him up really did some damage.

Should we make a list of QB's that did not do well after warming the bench? Is our QB learning under Joe Montana?

i bet you andrew luck is gonna look better than many think...lucks gonna show he belongs early this year...despite the colts starting over...i'm not betting against andrew luck as a rookie

i wouldn't be sitting jake locker behind matt hasselbeck either...but i have to admit that even now matt hasselbeck is better than any veteran qb we have in camp...til hassel gets hurt which won't be long this season

Hasselbeck will start in the few games but it would be no shock if Locker took over from then on out.

They don't, but what I also meant is that the playbook will have a lot more in it than the Texas A&M book ever did.

They could have, but they chose to go the route of starting their rookies day one no matter what. You know what, The Colts, Browns and Redskins are all likely going to struggle on offense and are basically saying 2012 is a waste. Andrew Luck is not going to look like the Hall Of Fame quarterback most envision him to become. He probably will end the season with more interceptions than touchdowns. The Dolphins have the talent and the schedule to make a run for an above .500 record if they have solid quarterback play. No matter how good Tannehill will become, for the 2012 season alone, Moore and Garrard LIKELY offer the team the best chance to win games. I think you could make the argument that no matter who starts between Moore and Garrard that they will have better seasons than Luck, Griffin or Weeden in 2012.

Tannehill is obviously the future and offers greater potential than Moore and Garrard, but as a rookie probably doesn't stack up quite as well. Now, if this was Tannehill a year down the road, he probably gives the Dolphins a better chance to win then Moore and Garrard.

He is competing for the starting job, a speculation blurb from the Palm Beach Post or that Reggie Bush "thinks" he might not start the year as the starter is not concrete information that Tannehill is not competing. Don't be surprised when Garrard, Moore and Tannehill continue to share first team snaps in training camp. Tannehill is not being designated to the third string because of a speculation article.

You are right, he is in a great situation compared to the others if he would be called upon to be the starter. However, he doesn't have to start week one or even year one. Is Jake Locker a bust because he sat his rookie season and probably his second season behind Matt Hasselbeck?
Moore and Garrard aren't winning a god damn thing. They're both just a waste of time.

if i was gonna bet against a rookie qb this year it would be the one in washington...shanny better cater that o to rg3's strengths and avoid his weaknesses...that's all i know

i bet you andrew luck is gonna look better than many think...lucks gonna show he belongs early this year...despite the colts starting over...i'm not betting against andrew luck as a rookie

i wouldn't be sitting jake locker behind matt hasselbeck either...but i have to admit that even now matt hasselbeck is better than any veteran qb we have in camp...til hassel gets hurt which won't be long this season
Statistically, Moore was better than Hasselbeck last year.

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

Moore and Garrard aren't winning a god damn thing. They're both just a waste of time.

We will see.

ehhh...the eye ball test tells me different b/t moore and hassel...not that hassel does much for me either...

casas is right about moore and garrard...we're not winning squat with those 2 guys under center...that's definitely why i'm so against it

how bout you let us know who these guys are and then i'll decide how much stock i want to put in it....

You don't have to be stock in a god damn thing, Hooshoops. I'm not trying to come off as an expert, nor have I ever. It was for a division 1 college in Florida. That's all I'm comfortable saying right now. I've told specifics to those on this site that I trust and respect, so I'll leave it at that.

While we're on the subject, though, what's YOUR formal training? I've seen you make constant reference to how TV is not that much different from Game Tape, so obviously you've seen game tape before (I mean, one would have to assume, right?) and I'm wondered where and in what context.

it's a delicate balance with tannehill you watch some games particularly the texas one last year and say this kid shouldn't be a 1st round pick let alone a top 10 one...and then you watch some other games and i'll put the arkansas and k state games in this category as well as many others i've seen and you say this kids got more going for him than any qb we have on the roster why not play him...just about every game you get a bad decision int a throw he shouldn't make but i look at that and say with more reps you may not see that on a regular basis...and i don't care what anyone says jeff fuller hung his qb out to dry a lot in 2011 with some of the effort i saw and the inability to get open...tanny also though tried to go to him despite coverage too much...

but the kids got much better pocket presence and feel for pressure than matt moore doesn't fumble has ideal measurables and a great arm that allows him to throw 18 yard come backs from the opposite hash with relative ease...is always looking to make a play when under pressure...offers much better athleticism and feet than garrard or moore...is a legitimate duel threat if the defense doesn't account for him...has special ability to throw with accuracy and good ball placement on the move...why not let him learn on the fly???

kinda thing i struggle with...especially when i know that garrard and moore aren't good enough...

ehhh...the eye ball test tells me different b/t moore and hassel...not that hassel does much for me either...

casas is right about moore and garrard...we're not winning squat with those 2 guys under center...that's definitely why i'm so against it
Honestly though, the team is probably going to win less with Tannehill starting. Doesn't mean Tannehill sucks, just means that he is a rookie getting up to speed with the NFL. The Dolphins will win more games with Moore or Garrard likely and winning games saves jobs of coaches and general managers. Put Garrard on Indianapolis and I bet he leads them to more wins than Luck will this season, pretty damn sure of that.

Doesn't mean that the Dolphins are slowing down the process or hurting Tannehill's development, in fact I am still in the thought that sitting a rookie QB for one season is beneficial. We saw it work with Carson Palmer and saw Aaron Rodgers sit for a bit in Green Bay. Look at last year's first round class, everyone wants to talk about how great Newton did as a rookie. Remember that the other three guys, Locker, Gabbert and Ponder either didn't play much or had limited to no real success as a starter. Not every rookie is going to come in and be a star from day one, some just need time to develop. I think Locker is going to be better than Ponder and Gabbert because of the time he got to sit and soak things in without having to be thrown into the fire from day one. He will be better for it.

No, we are not going to win a Super Bowl with Moore or Garrard. Probably won't make the playoffs either, but if they want to have a chance at having a winning record or being in playoff contention this season, those are the best guys to do it. Let Tannehill sit a season, learn from the veterans, get acclimated with the speed of the game in practice and give him more offensive weapons next offseason before putting him in. Gabbert struggled last season and some are already declaring him a bust, mostly because he started last year when he really wasn't ready. A year on the bench before starting him would have greatly helped him IMO. Maybe he still ends up being a bust but I am not sure last year helped him at all in his development. Probably hurt him more in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom