Why the Dolphins shouldn't draft Jordan Love | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why the Dolphins shouldn't draft Jordan Love

This is where I think he will struggle. I've heard him speak and he doesn't sound all that intelligent to me. Plus, his football IQ has been put into question. That's why I think he's a project, not a 1st rounder.

You point out where you heard him speak and post the clip. Here are a few for the listening public in which to make their own judgement:

I wanna see where you go with this....

Might wanna watch yourself by saying someone doesn’t sound smart because you heard them speak. I personally have a good friend who has two masters degrees one in civil engineering one in mechanical engineering is a huge Country boy with a thick accent and everything likely making people say he not intelligent but he’s legitimately like Mensa qualified.

it is very shortsighted to judge someone by the way they speak or to make such a rash connection between speaking and intelligence

I'm 38, hardly a boomer. With a name like parrothead, you're likely older than I am. Anyway, the knocks on Love by most scouting services have been his poor pocket awareness and poor field vision.... meaning he doesn't read defenses well.
What the f is wrong with being older than 38?

He sounds a lot like Colin Kaepernick to me when he speaks.
Might wanna watch yourself by saying someone doesn’t sound smart because you heard them speak. I personally have a good friend who has two masters degrees one in civil engineering one in mechanical engineering is a huge Country boy with a thick accent and everything likely making people say he not intelligent but he’s legitimately like Mensa qualified.

it is very shortsighted to judge someone by the way they speak or to make such a rash connection between speaking and intelligence

Terry Bradshaw wasn't that intelligent either but he had a good football IQ. The knock on this kid Love has been his football IQ. I'm seeing Colin Kaepernick with him. Athletic, but low football IQ. Give me a cerebral quarterback like Fromm any day

I see the same NFL trajectory from love as thill. 7 years of below average play before possibly getting lucky and landing on a team that can actually carry what amounts to nothing more than mediocre qb play.

Well, I think the OP has some valid points. I haven't seen enough of Love to evaluate his pocket presence. I will say it seems like he locks on receivers and doesn't use his eyes really well at times.

The talent is pretty obvious, though, and with good coaching he has a chance to be exactly what a team is looking for.

I will agree that Miami probably isn't the best fit as the team is currently constructed. I also think top 10 is too high and I've seen mocks projecting Love in that range.

Jordan love doesn’t suck, but I don’t think he’s worth a 1st rounder, especially for Miami. We aren’t in a situation where we can afford to take big risks with a QB prospect, and Love is a high risk prospect imo (but definitely has potential). After trading Tunsil and Fitzpatrick, it’s expected that Grier will turn that draft capital into a blue chip franchise QB, and I don’t believe he will hang his rebuild on a Jordan Love. Good prospect, just too risky for a full rebuild.

Jordan love doesn’t suck, but I don’t think he’s worth a 1st rounder, especially for Miami. We aren’t in a situation where we can afford to take big risks with a QB prospect, and Love is a high risk prospect imo (but definitely has potential). After trading Tunsil and Fitzpatrick, it’s expected that Grier will turn that draft capital into a blue chip franchise QB, and I don’t believe he will hang his rebuild on a Jordan Love. Good prospect, just too risky for a full rebuild.

I disagree with you about him sucking, but you're right about everything else. I can't picture Grier looking at all these QB's bodies of work and saying "That's my guy!" when looking at Love. He has to get this right. Other GM's can afford to swing and miss on him. Grier can't.

Call it an 'excuse' all you want. Dan Marino was crap his final year at Pitt, when they had some turmoil. He was brilliant the year before.

Oh and he threw 46 interceptions in 24 games those final two years. So much for that argument

So now Jordan Love is Dan Marino?

Stop already!!!!

I’m somewhere in the middle between the OP and CK on Jordan Love - haven’t really settled in yet. Fantastically talented, although not anxious to bet on him yet by any stretch. He’s got a lot of things to smooth out.

Was really high on Love going into 2019 and expected him to struggle given his situation, but I hoped he wouldn't struggle so much. I'm debating how much of that is a me problem, and I go back and forth between Herbert and Love. Love is the more talented passer. Awsi has touched on it, but Herbert doesn't vary his trajectory as much as you'd like to see. While he has the arm strength to make every throw, his inability to alter his trajectory takes throws off the table. Love can make every throw.

Ultimately, I think Love and Herbert are too talented to fall outside the Top 20, and I expect both to go Top 10.

I do want to see how each tests - particularly in the agility drills. Mahomes isn't particularly fast, but he has very talented feet. More important, though, Mahomes is so good at reading the D and processing info quickly. It's why he never has bad games, and it's about as rare as his arm talent.

Both Love and Herbert play in offenses that also make them difficult to judge in this regard. If Miami can't get Tua (maybe Washington loves him), or if there's something wrong with his recovery, I would pick one of Herbert or Love and let whichever sit for 2020. While both come with significant risk, they have too much going for them to consider them longshots, and the physical talent does help their ceilings. I'd feel better about it if I could know them the way that the teams will. KC semi-famously raved about how smart Mahomes was - based largely on his whiteboard work.

It's much worse to be too conservative addressing QB than too aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom