Why the Phins wont and should not draft a QB in the 1st | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why the Phins wont and should not draft a QB in the 1st

Boik14 said:
I never said the pats would have won without Brady or the rams would have won without warner. Just that they were supported by defenses ranging from great to very good. We can save cap money allowing us to build that D by drafting something other than a Qb in rd 1 which will kill our cap flexibility and our chances to sign a ton of depth and load up to avoid any potential injuries killing our chances.

I totally see where your coming from but at the same time we're long overdue for a QB upgrade which I think should be top priority.

SpeedRush99 said:
In regards to the little conversation we had the other day, he had Chad Jackson going to Seattle at #32. ;)
He's been wrong before. But +1 for now. We'll see on draft day. Ill be at the draft to dictate exactly what happens and who gets picked where. :D

Boik14 said:
He's been wrong before. But +1 for now. We'll see on draft day. Ill be at the draft to dictate exactly what happens and who gets picked where. :D

Yeah I know. Enjoy the draft!

SpeedRush99 said:
I totally see where your coming from but at the same time we're long overdue for a QB upgrade which I think should be top priority.
Thats fine. Its the way we should go about that upgrade we disagree about. Which is fine as long as whatever happens turns out good for the Phins. :dolphins:

personally I still think the D should be a priority.

SpeedRush99 said:
Yeah I know. Enjoy the draft!
Thanks I will.

Bet you didnt know it was because of me yelling from the upper level last year that we drafted Crowder. Ok well i dont think thats true but I was really yelling loud for Crowder. I was elated at that pick :cool:

Boik14 said:
It also comes at a much higher risk. We can debate this all night. You question my philosphy, I question yours. I dont care though cause mines been proven right based on the last decade.

I never said Cutler would be there in rd2. Mainly cause i know some qb needy team will reach for him in rd 1. That doesnt change the fact that his ability really says hes a 2nd rd pick What is so hard to understand? I dont value him lower than everyone else, everyone else just values him too highly.

At least we agree it comes down to saban and mueller. I dont doubt for a second they will shy off a qb in rd 1.

Are you sure your name isn't Wannstedt?

Boik14 said:
Ok well i dont think thats true but I was really yelling loud for Crowder. I was elated at that pick :cool:

You and me both.

Boik14 said:
Im positive Mr Spielman

Your philosophy of drafting defense and relying on a journeyman QB seems to mirror Wannstedt's. I'm not sure why my support for drafting Cutler in the first reminds you of Spielman.

rafael said:
Your philosophy of drafting defense and relying on a journeyman QB seems to mirror Wannstedt's. I'm not sure why my support for drafting Cutler in the first reminds you of Spielman.
My support isnt for drafting a journeyman QB. The facts show that Mueller is capable of finding a good qb later on.

With regards to the spielman comment it was because you're willing to overpay to ensure you get a player you want. Even if the players price is inflated.

Boik14 said:
My support isnt for drafting a journeyman QB. The facts show that Mueller is capable of finding a good qb later on.

With regards to the spielman comment it was because you're willing to overpay to ensure you get a player you want. Even if the players price is inflated.

Most experts have Cutler as a 1st rd pick. That's his market value. That's not overpaying.

rafael said:
Most experts have Cutler as a 1st rd pick. That's his market value. That's not overpaying.
Most "experts" are wrong more then theyre right. Thats why theyre "experts" and not GM's. And if you read a lot of those "expert opinions" youd read that many of them call Cutler what he is " a 2nd rd pick who will go in rd 1 becuase of Qb needy teams." Just because hes going to go in rd 1 does make him a 1st rd talent. It's still overpaying and reaching.

Boik14 said:
Most "experts" are wrong more then theyre right. Thats why theyre "experts" and not GM's. And if you read a lot of those "expert opinions" youd read that many of them call Cutler what he is " a 2nd rd pick who will go in rd 1 becuase of Qb needy teams." Just because hes going to go in rd 1 does make him a 1st rd talent. It's still overpaying and reaching.

So your saying the GMs are the smart ones not the experts, but they're the ones who are reaching by taking him in the first.

And no matter how many times you keep saying Cutler is a 2nd rd talent it doesn't mean you're right either.

Personally, I think it's clear that he's a 1st rd talent and since I've been tracking my own predictions I've been right far more often than I've been wrong (on QBs at least).

Boik14 said:
...3) So you advocate reaching for a player based on need like some idiot GM does every year and then picks a player that he shouldnt have picked so early? Reaching for a player because they play a position of need is probably the worst philosphy...

...no. i'm saying that between 13th overall and 20th overall (approximately), there's very little difference. you could possibly extend that to the end of the first round. i'm saying that if cutler (eg) is available at #16, chances are he's grouped together with a number of players that grade out approximately the same; with that in mind, imo, you draft cutler because that is the area of need for the team. if cutler, in the minds of saban/mueller, is no better than a mid-2nd round kinda guy, i say no - try to get him the second. not advocating a huge reach. also, i'm saying that if cutler is gone by #16, we definitely wait until later to draft a qb, because the next rated qb (either jacobs or croyle) is definitely a mid-2nd or even mid-3rd round kinda guy, and as much as i want a qb drafted this year, i certainly don't advocate burning a first round pick like that. the thing with cutler is that he has definitely risen on many of the respective draft/evaluation boards. not everyone is going to agree on his value, so whomever saban/mueller picks at #16, i'm ok with.

Boik14 said:

...so there's gm's, then there's experts...then there's the rest of us. if the "experts" are wrong more than they're right, what does that make us? just fans with informed opinions. why don't we wait until the senior bowl (he's playing, right?). then, when he has a tiny exposure to nfl coaching, and he's surrounded by the best talent he's ever been around, let's see what he does. maybe we'll get a better idea what he's made of.

Back
Top Bottom