Why the Phins wont and should not draft a QB in the 1st | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why the Phins wont and should not draft a QB in the 1st

rafael said:
So your saying the GMs are the smart ones not the experts, but they're the ones who are reaching by taking him in the first.

And no matter how many times you keep saying Cutler is a 2nd rd talent it doesn't mean you're right either.

Personally, I think it's clear that he's a 1st rd talent and since I've been tracking my own predictions I've been right far more often than I've been wrong (on QBs at least).
- Im saying GM's > experts or else experts would be GM's. Experts are the ones that hpe a lot of players up to places in the draft where they dont deserve to be chosen. A Gm is only as good as the scouts and team employed around him.

- As far as Cutler, vice versa applies as well.

- As far QB's im sure youve been right. Ive seen your posts and agree with you frequently. However, Ive tracked my own predictions via spread sheet for the last 7 years since I really first became infatuated with the draft. And Ive been right more then Ive been wrong as well.

cowtowndick said:
...no. i'm saying that between 13th overall and 20th overall (approximately), there's very little difference. you could possibly extend that to the end of the first round. i'm saying that if cutler (eg) is available at #16, chances are he's grouped together with a number of players that grade out approximately the same; with that in mind, imo, you draft cutler because that is the area of need for the team. if cutler, in the minds of saban/mueller, is no better than a mid-2nd round kinda guy, i say no - try to get him the second. not advocating a huge reach. also, i'm saying that if cutler is gone by #16, we definitely wait until later to draft a qb, because the next rated qb (either jacobs or croyle) is definitely a mid-2nd or even mid-3rd round kinda guy, and as much as i want a qb drafted this year, i certainly don't advocate burning a first round pick like that. the thing with cutler is that he has definitely risen on many of the respective draft/evaluation boards. not everyone is going to agree on his value, so whomever saban/mueller picks at #16, i'm ok with.
As long as there's some logic behind it thats fine. Again, I may be in the minority but i dont agree on Cutler's draft project but we'll find out on draft day. Agree to disagree on that point. :dolphins:

Boik14 said:
As long as there's some logic behind it thats fine. Again, I may be in the minority but i dont agree on Cutler's draft project but we'll find out on draft day. Agree to disagree on that point. :dolphins:

agreed.

cowtowndick said:
...so there's gm's, then there's experts...then there's the rest of us. if the "experts" are wrong more than they're right, what does that make us? just fans with informed opinions. why don't we wait until the senior bowl (he's playing, right?). then, when he has a tiny exposure to nfl coaching, and he's surrounded by the best talent he's ever been around, let's see what he does. maybe we'll get a better idea what he's made of.
As far as Cutler and the senior bowl nothing is official yet and final rosters arent announced til the 22nd. As far as I know he is supposed to play though.

http://www.seniorbowl.com/2006/rosters.htm

cowtowndick said:
why don't we wait until the senior bowl (he's playing, right?). then, when he has a tiny exposure to nfl coaching, and he's surrounded by the best talent he's ever been around, let's see what he does. maybe we'll get a better idea what he's made of.

Can't wait!

fishypete said:
Save the lists....a great defense can beat a great QB....A great QB without talent surrounding him...won't win. A good QB with great talent can win.

Give me a good QB surrounded with great talent and a great defense and I'll show you a winner. Griese....no name defense....Superbowl's.

:sidelol: ............try BOB GRIESE-HALL OF FAMER, surrounded by a HALL OF FAME BACK-LARRY CSONKA, A HALL OF FAME WR -PAUL WARFIELD, HALL FAME O-LINEMAN LIKE JIM LANGER AND LARRY LITTLE and Bob Kuechenberg who is a finalist for the hall, and a great defense.

To call Bob Griese, who won the MVP of the league award in 1977, was selected to 6 Pro Bowls, and has his bust residing in CANTON, as you put it "a good quarterback" is the understatement of the year, just another flawed thought process by you Pete.

Boik14 said:
-

- As far QB's im sure youve been right. Ive seen your posts and agree with you frequently. However, Ive tracked my own predictions via spread sheet for the last 7 years since I really first became infatuated with the draft. And Ive been right more then Ive been wrong as well.

I started tracking it about 7 years ago as well. I guess we'll see who's right this time. :)

It is simply not an intelligent statement for anyone to make, that a team in need of a quarterback, should eliminate that position from draft possibility in round one.

Nick Saban would never say that, nor would any other Head Coach/GM worth his salt.

Impact players are impact players, they come from all positions. The facts bear out that there are busts at every position as well.

The fact that the majority of Superbowls have been won by 1st round pick quarterbacks just points out the obvious, that the best prospects are generally drafted the highest. Sure there will always be exceptions, players that slip thru the cracks, but Saban and Muellers job is too pick the best player available with every draft pick.

If that player happens to be a quarterback, he should be drafted no matter where you are picking.

Back
Top Bottom