Why the Season was a Failure | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why the Season was a Failure

Either we met our goals or we did not. our goals weren't to have a QB lead the NFL in passing yards, our goals weren't to have 5 or more players make the pro bowl. our goals weren't to have a WR lead the NFL in receiving yards. the goal was to win the division and/or win a post season game, something we haven't done in over 20 years and over 15 years. that did not happen. we failed our goals.
You 1000% correct.

Our season was a failure because the Titans decided to show up against our team in 4th Qtr and we didn't get to play against the Eagles in December/January. If you want to see a team who went missing and seriously sunk after going 10-1 see Philadelphia Eagles.

Them having all time great quarterbacks certainly helped.
according to some/most, the Dolphins have that now ... Qb is not the narrative ... team mentality and physicality are ... the team has developed a soft culture/image, and it needs to go away.

That’s a bit harsh. You might not exist if it wasn’t for someone in their 60s. How old is your father? The truth is in the middle, McD can continue to be able to communicate and relate to modern age players, but he needs to also increase discipline throughout the team. We had far too many self inflicted penalties.

BTW, when will we receive our “Participation Trophy”? 🤣
The question becomes how badly these "modern age" players want to win a championship, because if the head coach is generating a team culture that's inconsistent with winning simply for the purpose of "relating" to these "modern age" players, well then our priorities are well out of line. If relating effectively to modern age players necessitates a team culture that's inconsistent with winning, well then give me a roster of old school players who want to win a championship and who don't need to be related to in that manner, and who actually value a head coach who will relate to the team in a way that's consistent with winning.

Jason Taylor has remarked several times that his preferred head coach during his tenure with the Dolphins was Nick Saban, because Saban was no-nonsense and didn't tolerate crap from players who functioned like a ball and chain on Taylor's aspirations to win. Good players who want to win value that approach. They don't need a nice guy or a comedian who gets along with everybody.

I’m jealous of the Detroit Lion fan base. So yea, the season was a catastrophic failure. Go Lions! Rawr

We had everything to go far this year. The failure is simple, McD didn’t have answers to adjust. It was Treek, Tyreek, and Tyreek. The rest of the personnel was just an afterthought. Can’t have a successful offense that way. Yes, you can beat the bad teams with that but the good teams know how to shut it down. It played out right before our eyes. This offense needs to change next season or it’s just wash, rinse, and repeat.

We did some very good things early in the year but were easily dismissed from the Playoffs in the first round. All we can do is try to get our team healthy and bring it all back. But, I'm NOT handing Tua the starting job anymore. Not after his total failure in the last quarter of the season. He couldn't elevate the team to save his life and I wouldn't hand him the starting job without some competition. I'd draft a QB in the first round and have an open competition in camp. Make Tua earn the job, if he gets beat out then Tua is the back up. That's #1. McD would be out as play caller but very in as play designer. I might let Bevel call plays but MM goes away from the run too often, he too pass happy. Sit down with Fangio, if he's leaving then we have a whole new set of problems. I would hope that he would stay and so the job he was hired to do.
So, the season was a failure. We put up some great stats, we got some guys in the Pro Bowl but we didn't win a damn thing. This QB is going to drive me nuts!!!! He leads the league in passing yardage but we can't get a first down when the season is on the line. If he gets nut lock when the pressure goes up then he's got to go. I can't watch much more of this garbage. Draft a QB in the first round, the team has to do this or get a QB in FA. We went to war with Tua this year and he failed big time. All the losses in the end were to teams with better QBs, our guy was exposed as a choke artist. Until I see different that's it.

I get pissed off like many fan, that’s why we’re called fans. That being said, Giannis provided a great response to this Failure question and sports.

We did some very good things early in the year but were easily dismissed from the Playoffs in the first round. All we can do is try to get our team healthy and bring it all back. But, I'm NOT handing Tua the starting job anymore. Not after his total failure in the last quarter of the season. He couldn't elevate the team to save his life and I wouldn't hand him the starting job without some competition. I'd draft a QB in the first round and have an open competition in camp. Make Tua earn the job, if he gets beat out then Tua is the back up. That's #1. McD would be out as play caller but very in as play designer. I might let Bevel call plays but MM goes away from the run too often, he too pass happy. Sit down with Fangio, if he's leaving then we have a whole new set of problems. I would hope that he would stay and so the job he was hired to do.
So, the season was a failure. We put up some great stats, we got some guys in the Pro Bowl but we didn't win a damn thing. This QB is going to drive me nuts!!!! He leads the league in passing yardage but we can't get a first down when the season is on the line. If he gets nut lock when the pressure goes up then he's got to go. I can't watch much more of this garbage. Draft a QB in the first round, the team has to do this or get a QB in FA. We went to war with Tua this year and he failed big time. All the losses in the end were to teams with better QBs, our guy was exposed as a choke artist. Until I see different that's it.

Through most of the season Miami had 7 players on O ranked top 20% by PFF (yes, I know, PFF) and 5-6 on D. TT, whether all agree or not TT is a top 10 QB with TH, Waddle, Mostert, Achane near or above top 10. The weapons were there. Yet, starting about mid season they struggled to score one TD in 2H. Yes, the OL injuries hurt, but that same OL could score in 1H.
As a number of us have said, apportioning blame between Mcd, TT, OL isn't easy. Was the focus on TH on TT or Mcd? First of season TT was praised for going through progressions quickly. 2nd half seemed to be 1st read only, ignoring open receivers? Some of that is the OL. some is TT. The question is apportioning blame. Calling a pass play with 6 in the box? IMO, that's Mcd not staying with the run. I put a lot of blame on Mcd, but he wasn't the only problem.

Back
Top Bottom