Why the Season was a Failure | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why the Season was a Failure

Through most of the season Miami had 7 players on O ranked top 20% by PFF (yes, I know, PFF) and 5-6 on D. TT, whether all agree or not TT is a top 10 QB with TH, Waddle, Mostert, Achane near or above top 10. The weapons were there. Yet, starting about mid season they struggled to score one TD in 2H. Yes, the OL injuries hurt, but that same OL could score in 1H.
As a number of us have said, apportioning blame between Mcd, TT, OL isn't easy. Was the focus on TH on TT or Mcd? First of season TT was praised for going through progressions quickly. 2nd half seemed to be 1st read only, ignoring open receivers? Some of that is the OL. some is TT. The question is apportioning blame. Calling a pass play with 6 in the box? IMO, that's Mcd not staying with the run. I put a lot of blame on Mcd, but he wasn't the only problem.
Again the discrepancy between first- and second-half performance later in the season is consistent with simply being overwhelmed by opposing teams that were able to regroup at the half and find an extra gear of effort in the second half during their late-season playoff pushes, while the Dolphins were unable to find such an extra gear themselves. That again is a culture problem and entirely consistent with a team that is too much fun and games and not enough seriousness and determination.

I guess it depends on what is your definition of success is. Is success having a season where we put up a ton of positive stats but lose everything in the end? Not to me. The collapse in the end was very bad. Our QB looked like garbage, our play caller really never stayed with the run in the second half of games. With all the injuries it's tough to hand out blame. I love Tua and want to believe that he can take us to the promised land but I can't unsee those last few games.

As they say "a team takes on the personality of its coach." Mike McDaniel's non-serious personality permits a "fun and games" team culture exemplified by a circus-like atmosphere and rehearsed end zone celebrations. Add to that the in-season Hard Knocks production and you have a team revolving far too much around "entertaining" and not enough around driven seriousness. When such a team encounters teams serious and determined to make the playoffs late in the season, it'll simply find it too difficult to switch gears on the fly all the way from "fun and games" to "all business," and it'll be beaten by such teams.

This is why the team's late-season second-half performance was so staggeringly poor in comparison to its late-season first-half performance, and more generally the reason for the downfall of the season overall.

Lol. Season was a failure. #1 offense in the league. QB led the league in passing. Lost with half of our day one starters either nursing substantial injuries or being out for the season against the defending world champs on the road in the coldest game in team history.

Anyone that thinks it was a failure is a buffoon with ridiculous expectations.

Lol. Season was a failure. #1 offense in the league. QB led the league in passing. Lost with half of our day one starters either nursing substantial injuries or being out for the season against the defending world champs on the road in the coldest game in team history.

Anyone that thinks it was a failure is a buffoon with ridiculous expectations.
I guess it depends on what is your definition of success is. Is success having a season where we put up a ton of positive stats but lose everything in the end? Not to me. The collapse in the end was very bad. Our QB looked like garbage, our play caller really never stayed with the run in the second half of games. With all the injuries it's tough to hand out blame. I love Tua and want to believe that he can take us to the promised land but I can't unsee those last few games.

Through most of the season Miami had 7 players on O ranked top 20% by PFF (yes, I know, PFF) and 5-6 on D. TT, whether all agree or not TT is a top 10 QB with TH, Waddle, Mostert, Achane near or above top 10. The weapons were there. Yet, starting about mid season they struggled to score one TD in 2H. Yes, the OL injuries hurt, but that same OL could score in 1H.
As a number of us have said, apportioning blame between Mcd, TT, OL isn't easy. Was the focus on TH on TT or Mcd? First of season TT was praised for going through progressions quickly. 2nd half seemed to be 1st read only, ignoring open receivers? Some of that is the OL. some is TT. The question is apportioning blame. Calling a pass play with 6 in the box? IMO, that's Mcd not staying with the run. I put a lot of blame on Mcd, but he wasn't the only problem.
Well thought out post......

Question was why was the season a failure. You are not winning playoff games with half of the team out injured, duh.

I think as fans.....the lack of playoff progress was certainly a failure. However, there were also some positives....

Rushing attack was very good. Not used enough in crucial times, but very good
Passing attack moved the ball. Even against good teams we moved the ball well between the 20's. Red zone was another matter...
Sanders came back to life this year after a really rough 2022
Fangios defense had moments of brilliance and at times was very formidable. Injuries killed us when it mattered most
Tua was able to get through the season healthy
The OL, decimated by injuries (literally decimated) played pretty well and seemed well coached.

We have plenty to work on and improve in the offseason, but we aren't starting from scratch....we have a decent foundation to build on for 2024

Question was why was the season a failure. You are not winning playoff games with half of the team out injured, duh.
Are you beating the physically inferior Tennessee at home with 99.7% win probability with four minutes left in the game, or do injuries account for that loss as well?

Injuries are not why we couldn't score
Team gave up. Mcdaniels culture is a fun one but not one conducive to winning

Take for example the class trip to Germany and how important it was for him to see the guys having fun.

We forgot about the game.

McDaniel can't prepare his team. Talent won us a bunch, not his coaching.

Next year will be more of the same. he's an unserious person.

We keep up with good teams in the first half but the second half of every game is a new game of adjusting strategy. I saw an offense that couldn't stay on the field for various reasons, drops, penalty, play calling or bad execution which is still somewhat secondary to conditioning, mind set and determination to stay more physical. Brain trust failure was probably more glaring than the latter due to the questionable play calling on both sides of the ball against good coaches in the second halves with failures for both 3rd and short for the offense and 3rd and long for defense.

Back
Top Bottom