Why was Coach McDaniel Not Interviewed Elsewhere? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why was Coach McDaniel Not Interviewed Elsewhere?

K-Rob

Go Fish!
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I can’t remember being this excited about a new Dolphins coach since, perhaps, Jimmy Johnson. The fact that it only took him a few weeks to build a better offense and coaching staff than Flores ever did in 3 years is amazing and encouraging. That being said, there’s a very real chance he could be a weak link regardless of the excitement and it makes me a bit nervous that not a single other team interviewed him.

Is it known why that’s the case? The excitement level is through the roof with McCoaching but, apparently, only in the fanbase. That excitement didn’t seem to be there as teams searched for their HC’s this off-season and I’m worried they knew something we didn’t. Aside from not having prior HC experience, is there anything that kept every NFL team that needed a HC away from him?

1 year offensive coordinator under a guy who's considered a very, very good offensive coach and much like Andy Reid / Eric Bieniemy there's some doubt about what coaches can do outside the system. The 49ers literally went with no Offensive Coordinator after Matt lafluer left to be HC in Green Bay until Mike Lafluer left for the Jets. Mike Lafluer (passing Game Coordinator) and McDaniel (Running Game Coordinator) were splitting duties.

Mike Lafluer and Rich Scangarello haven't been getting results so there's questions about the next guy coming from there being able to make it work? Matt Lafluer left after 2018, but he went to a team with Aaron Rodgers and Davante Adams so it would take some doing to not be a success on offense there. I don't think a lot of fans here realize just how bad the Jets offense was.. it was painful to watch even with them being a division rival. Rich Scangarello was also really, really bad in Denver. Throw in (fair or not) a superstar WR letting it be known he didn't like how he was used under McDaniel and accounted for almost 1800 yards alone.

As a fan, it's easy to love McDaniel, but there's reasons why someone making such a huge decision might have some doubts and want to go with a more known quantity.

Last edited:
I have no idea if MCDaniel will be a successful NFL head coach or not. Only time will tell. Yet it should be noted that no other NFL team interviewed Don Shula to be their head coach before the Baltimore Colts hired him to be their new head coach and Shula certainly turned out to be a pretty good head coach for the next 3 decades.

I have no idea if MCDaniel will be a successful NFL head coach or not. Only time will tell. Yet it should be noted that no other NFL team interviewed Don Shula to be their head coach before the Baltimore Colts hired him to be their new head coach and Shula certainly turned out to be a pretty good head coach for the next 3 decades.
There's a reason why no one else interviewed Shula. We tampered and interviewed him without anyone knowing he was available. "After the 1969 season, the Dolphins signed Coach Shula. The signing was ruled illegal by the NFL, and tampering charges were placed on Miami (though many argue that it was not illegal). Miami had to give the Baltimore Colts a 1970 first-round pick as compensation."

Regarding McDaniel, obviously, we saw something in him and the guy has had some bad days with alcohol addiction. That and people struggle to point at what Shanahan is calling and what McDaniel is calling. I think we found a diamond in the rough and MD should benefit hugely from him being our HC. With that said, he's a first-time head coach so we need to temper our expectations somewhat. He's going to make mistakes but I think he's the kind that will push himself to not make the same mistake twice. He's also got a great core of good coaches under him to support him some of the best in the league at their coaching positions.

I'm pumped!

The NFL coaching carousal is somewhat of an "old boy" system, where many teams tend to go for re-treads and guys who have been assistants for years. They prefer a proven pedigree as opposed to a McD who is somewhat unproven. We have taken chances on unproven coaches such as Cammeron, Gase and the gum wrapper picker upper, with bad results. McD is a roll of the dice. He could be a Bill Walsh, or Don Shula, or one of the afore mentioned. I am very optimistic.

There's a reason why no one else interviewed Shula. We tampered and interviewed him without anyone knowing he was available. "After the 1969 season, the Dolphins signed Coach Shula. The signing was ruled illegal by the NFL, and tampering charges were placed on Miami (though many argue that it was not illegal). Miami had to give the Baltimore Colts a 1970 first-round pick as compensation."

Regarding McDaniel, obviously, we saw something in him and the guy has had some bad days with alcohol addiction. That and people struggle to point at what Shanahan is calling and what McDaniel is calling. I think we found a diamond in the rough and MD should benefit hugely from him being our HC. With that said, he's a first-time head coach so we need to temper our expectations somewhat. He's going to make mistakes but I think he's the kind that will push himself to not make the same mistake twice. He's also got a great core of good coaches under him to support him some of the best in the league at their coaching positions.

I'm pumped!

You missed on the OP point. He was referring to Baltimore

Why was he not interviewed elsewhere? Probably because it is an educated stab in the dark hire. He is the latest smart, hot, young innovator and they are hoping he is the answer at Head Coach. Let's just hope he works out like Sean McVay and Zac Taylor, but not like Adam Gase.

I can’t remember being this excited about a new Dolphins coach since, perhaps, Jimmy Johnson. The fact that it only took him a few weeks to build a better offense and coaching staff than Flores ever did in 3 years is amazing and encouraging. That being said, there’s a very real chance he could be a weak link regardless of the excitement and it makes me a bit nervous that not a single other team interviewed him.

Is it known why that’s the case? The excitement level is through the roof with McCoaching but, apparently, only in the fanbase. That excitement didn’t seem to be there as teams searched for their HC’s this off-season and I’m worried they knew something we didn’t. Aside from not having prior HC experience, is there anything that kept every NFL team that needed a HC away from him?
I know it wasn't for a head coach position, but Kyle Shanahan did block both Mike McDaniel and Mike LaFleur for offensive-coordinator interviews in previous years. So, Shanahan thought highly of him.

Then you missed the point of @1972forever post.
I got his point just fine. He was referencing that Shula did well even though no one was chasing him. Meanwhile, what is it to you whether my post in response to another poster is accurate or not? How does it involve you?

I'm pumped!
At my age I don't go for that "tempering my hopes" crap. I let them run full blast.
Reality has its schedule and I have mine. - LOL
It's amazing that in the end I'm usually right.
I accept that humbly and with a real big grin - LOL

I got his point just fine. He was referencing that Shula did well even though no one was chasing him. Meanwhile, what is it to you whether my post in response to another poster is accurate or not? How does it involve you?
Don't get defensive. Just say your post wasn't an accurate response to his post.

Back
Top Bottom