Why was Coach McDaniel Not Interviewed Elsewhere? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why was Coach McDaniel Not Interviewed Elsewhere?

Why was he not interviewed elsewhere? Probably because it is an educated stab in the dark hire. He is the latest smart, hot, young innovator and they are hoping he is the answer at Head Coach. Let's just hope he works out like Sean McVay and Zac Taylor, but not like Adam Gase.
In fairness to Gase, Tannehill became unavailable for two years in a row and then there was Tannenbaum diddling with our draft.

He did win 10 games his first season and certainly always gave the Patriots a "run" (what a great play on words here) for their money and even won with Cutler and his broken ribs.

Fair is fair - don't let your raw emotions alter your judgement - good advice from Ray R. - LOL

Don't get defensive. Just say your post wasn't an accurate response to his post.
Good Day Positivity GIF by Travis

The inexperience is huge, teams don't want to take a chance on someone that has little Coordinator experience to lead half a team, let alone HC experience to lead an entire team to what they want them to become.

Also, McDaniel's personality is very unconventional to say the least, with how much he jokes, and takes things lightly, acts like one of the guys in the offseason, and friends with most everyone on the team. Most teams see a HC candidate more as tough as nails, no expression hardly ever shown, serious from when they get in, to when they're eating, or in the bathroom, to when they leave.

The thing to consider about McDaniel, he is very smart, and though he is very friendly, and takes things very lightly, when it comes to football and the season, he can be pretty demanding and very serious about it...Either you take your job very seriously, or someone else will do it. He expects 100% effort, nothing less, and if there is an aspect of your game you are not good at, you will work hard to correct it.

Many don't know what McDaniel is about, including us to a lesser degree, considering we have yet to see what he can do as a HC, but that is also how you find an above average HC, you have to take a chance with what little you do know.

Bill Belichick was always thought to be just a Parcells coach that had success because of Parcells, until you notice that Parcells without Belichick never was really very successful, yet Belichick without Parcells proved to be extremely successful...Even with the Browns.

Player coaches can be extremely successful like Joe Gibb, Dick Vermeil, Bill Walsh, Andy Reid to name a few, as long as they are Brilliant coaching at least one side of the team ( ✔️ for McDaniels here), are organized and calculating enough continue to bring new aspects opponents have not seen or prepared for (Another ✔️ here for Mc-D) , is able to be friends with players, but can and will discipline or release players that disrupt or decide not to listen (We will see here, if during season someone becomes a problem), and finally can make changes when game plan is not working (Another we will see).

I like that nobody has as much faith in him as we do, because if he's the real deal, by the time they figure out how good he is, it will be too late.

I have no idea if MCDaniel will be a successful NFL head coach or not. Only time will tell. Yet it should be noted that no other NFL team interviewed Don Shula to be their head coach before the Baltimore Colts hired him to be their new head coach and Shula certainly turned out to be a pretty good head coach for the next 3 decades.
I find this an excellent point for all of those that believe that whether anybody else interviewed McDaniel matters in the least. When I started looking at potential candidates after the Flores firing, there were some intriguing names. Most were the usual candidates that most teams look at. But when I started looking at McDaniel I quickly felt he was the right guy. My only concern was with the kind of staff he would bring with him (If I had known the staff he would bring with him then he was my top choice easily). I couldn't care less whether anybody else interviewed him. In fact, I was hoping no other team would.

The inexperience is huge, teams don't want to take a chance on someone that has little Coordinator experience to lead half a team, let alone HC experience to lead an entire team to what they want them to become.

Also, McDaniel's personality is very unconventional to say the least, with how much he jokes, and takes things lightly, acts like one of the guys in the offseason, and friends with most everyone on the team. Most teams see a HC candidate more as tough as nails, no expression hardly ever shown, serious from when they get in, to when they're eating, or in the bathroom, to when they leave.

The thing to consider about McDaniel, he is very smart, and though he is very friendly, and takes things very lightly, when it comes to football and the season, he can be pretty demanding and very serious about it...Either you take your job very seriously, or someone else will do it. He expects 100% effort, nothing less, and if there is an aspect of your game you are not good at, you will work hard to correct it.

Many don't know what McDaniel is about, including us to a lesser degree, considering we have yet to see what he can do as a HC, but that is also how you find an above average HC, you have to take a chance with what little you do know.

Bill Belichick was always thought to be just a Parcells coach that had success because of Parcells, until you notice that Parcells without Belichick never was really very successful, yet Belichick without Parcells proved to be extremely successful...Even with the Browns.

Player coaches can be extremely successful like Joe Gibb, Dick Vermeil, Bill Walsh, Andy Reid to name a few, as long as they are Brilliant coaching at least one side of the team ( ✔️ for McDaniels here), are organized and calculating enough continue to bring new aspects opponents have not seen or prepared for (Another ✔️ here for Mc-D) , is able to be friends with players, but can and will discipline or release players that disrupt or decide not to listen (We will see here, if during season someone becomes a problem), and finally can make changes when game plan is not working (Another we will see).

I like that nobody has as much faith in him as we do, because if he's the real deal, by the time they figure out how good he is, it will be too late.

FANTASTIC post Tay. Well done. We're all better for the insights you threw out there. Thanks!

There's a reason why no one else interviewed Shula. We tampered and interviewed him without anyone knowing he was available. "After the 1969 season, the Dolphins signed Coach Shula. The signing was ruled illegal by the NFL, and tampering charges were placed on Miami (though many argue that it was not illegal). Miami had to give the Baltimore Colts a 1970 first-round pick as compensation."

Regarding McDaniel, obviously, we saw something in him and the guy has had some bad days with alcohol addiction. That and people struggle to point at what Shanahan is calling and what McDaniel is calling. I think we found a diamond in the rough and MD should benefit hugely from him being our HC. With that said, he's a first-time head coach so we need to temper our expectations somewhat. He's going to make mistakes but I think he's the kind that will push himself to not make the same mistake twice. He's also got a great core of good coaches under him to support him some of the best in the league at their coaching positions.

I'm pumped!
I pointed out that the Baltimore Colts hired him and no other team had interviewed him to be their HC. I didn’t say anything about the Dolphins hiring him a few years later.

K. Just take the extra info as a gift.

Happy Birthday Dance GIF by Deadlyie
Since I have been a fan since 1966, I was already very aware of the circumstance surrounding the hiring of Shula by the Dolphins. But thanks the for history lesson for all the young fans on here who might not have known about the shenanigans behind the hiring of Shula by Joe Robbie.

Last edited:
Since I have been a fan since 1966, I was already very aware of the circumstance surrounding the hiring of Shula by the Dolphins. But thanks for history lesson for all the young fans on here who might not have known about the shenanigans behind the hiring of Shula by Joe Robbie.
Honestly, I’m not a young fan by any means and, for some reason, I had no idea about the Shula hiring. Hell, I remember crying watching John Riggins running on us in the SB lol. That’s pretty interesting about Shula. I guess it was totally worth it to break the rules in that instance.

I find this an excellent point for all of those that believe that whether anybody else interviewed McDaniel matters in the least. When I started looking at potential candidates after the Flores firing, there were some intriguing names. Most were the usual candidates that most teams look at. But when I started looking at McDaniel I quickly felt he was the right guy. My only concern was with the kind of staff he would bring with him (If I had known the staff he would bring with him then he was my top choice easily). I couldn't care less whether anybody else interviewed him. In fact, I was hoping no other team would.

I just want to thank you for actually using this correctly. It’s a huge pet peeve of mine.

Another thought. McDaniel had interviewed the year before with Miami for the offensive coordinator position. SF ended up promoting him to offensive coordinator shorty after that interview.

Point is maybe McDaniel saw something he liked in his Miami interviews and visa versa. Maybe the Dolphins had the inside edge.

Of course, it's all about performance. This team has playoff talent on paper and McDaniel will likely have to be successful right away. Especially with the Sean Payton rumors we've all heard.

Another thought. McDaniel had interviewed the year before with Miami for the offensive coordinator position. SF ended up promoting him to offensive coordinator shorty after that interview.

Point is maybe McDaniel saw something he liked in his Miami interviews and visa versa. Maybe the Dolphins had the inside edge.

Of course, it's all about performance. This team has playoff talent on paper and McDaniel will likely have to be successful right away. Especially with the Sean Payton rumors we've all heard.
I believe the interview request itself was denied by SF.

It is a head scratcher that no one else seemed interested in McDaniel.
I'm personally good with the McDaniel hiring, but i wanted Kellen Moore.
We haven't had a top 10 offense since the mid 90s and Moore has overseen the top offense 2 of the past 3 years; the one year he didn't was when Dak got hurt.
Moore also is a left handed QB like Tua.

Back
Top Bottom