Why we dont need to draft a quarterback | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why we dont need to draft a quarterback

I'll be rude on this. Since Shula drafted a young QB called Dan, this franchise have loved him and never explore the potential new comers as real options. Even it's been long since Marino's days ended, this team keeps dreaming on counting with the same kind of guy, so each draft we keep discounting every single young QB no matter their caliber. Each year is the same, we have "more important holes", "bigger needs", name it as you wish, but in football there's no bigger need than a good QB.
That "good QB" term is where it comes the real problem. Even some recent successful rookies like Big Ben, Vince Young or any other may impact on some decisions, the normal way to make a good QB is to draft a rookie and give him some time to grow and acquire some experience. This development process can be pointed at San Diego, Dallas and New England.
Nobody may ignore that, and drafting a guy like Brady Quinn may look smart, only if we gave the kid a normal development tracking, leaving him a backup role this season.
Ok genious, with the exception of Brees, please name one good starting QB that we were in the position to draft that we let go. San Diego had the #1 pick the year they picked Rivers, Dallas didnt even draft Romo, and Brady was a 7th round late blossom. So I agree in wanting to get a franchise QB ( for the record I still think it can be C-Pep) but we have only been in that position one time and we blew it with Brees. Guys just because a QB is taken in the first, does not make him a franchise QB. I mean if Quinn or Russell is there, which I think no way in hell, take one of them, but we would have to be in the top 2, to guarantee one of those guys, and fortunately we didn't suck that bad this year. And when we took ronnie in '05 we had more of a pressing need at RB, so dont throw 05 at me either.

I have read a number of threads on here stating why the Dolphins need to take Russell or Quinn if they fall to us. I have always been of the belief that drafting a quarterback high in the draft leaves a team vulnerable and in a position where they have to play them even if they dont have the talent to be starting in the NFL. Miami has way more problems than quarterback and with more weapons and a solid offensive line can win with the quarterbacks currently on the roster. Grossman is in the Super Bowl, Dilfer won it and I can go on with others who were not high picks or that good. Look how long it took Manning to get to the Super Bowl and it wasnt because of him, but his defense stepping up.

This article backs up my thoughts perfectly....http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6407854

The Fins have too many other needs on offense and defense and would be best suited to either draft best player available on defense or go with one of the top receivers besides Ginn Jr., who has too many flaws to be a top 10 pick.

ding ding ding, 5 star winner here

Why do you people keep defending a washed up QB with a bum knee.

He has done nothing for the Miami Dolphins.

Time to burn the bridge buddy! Get over it. He sucks!
Washed up?!?!? Hell he hasnt played in two years!! Give the guy a chance. He has played 4 friggin games for us! How can he even try to do anything for us with an injured knee. he wasnt even pain free until December. You defend a guy that hasnt even been given a full season!!! What a joke!!! You also defend a guy that prior to his injury averaged 2 TDs a game and has one of the highest completion % in the history of the NFL. You defend a guy that once he is healthy, then and only then, is it fair to evaluate him! Get a clue!!!

BS. People say this **** every year. "Oh, maybe one year, but not this year. We have too many other holes", blah, blah, blah. IMO- there is no argument or debate on this issue whatsoever. If Quinn is there we take him. No ifs ands or buts about it. The guy has excelled in a pro-style offense, and studied under an accomplished NFL guy in Weiss. He makes the throws and is smart. If you don't think he's worth taking at 9, you need your head examined.

And what makes you so sure he will exceed in the NFL? If he is there at #9, that means 8 other teams weren't sold on him either. You don't take someone just to take someone. If you take him and he turns out to be a bust, you set the franchise back for years. Even more so with a QB.

Washed up?!?!? Hell he hasnt played in two years!! Give the guy a chance. He has played 4 friggin games for us! How can he even try to do anything for us with an injured knee. he wasnt even pain free until December. You defend a guy that hasnt even been given a full season!!! What a joke!!! You also defend a guy that prior to his injury averaged 2 TDs a game and has one of the highest completion % in the history of the NFL. You defend a guy that once he is healthy, then and only then, is it fair to evaluate him! Get a clue!!!

I completely agree with you. Just in case though, a backup plan would be nice to have sooner than later.

I don't understand this fully aware thing? Are you trying to say DC wasn't fully aware last year? And if that is what you are saying was his awarness injured along with his knee?
I hope we do take Brady Quinn if he is available but that doesn't mean Culpepper will not get a chance to start, hopefully Quinn would be brought along slowly and not immediately thrown into the fire.

Everything is dependent on the QB. He is the only who must avoid the bad play AND make flashy plays in order to succeed. The greatest defenses in the history of the NFL, like the 1985 Bears and the 2003 Bucs, needed at the very least a QB who can avoid the bad play to be successful.

The Dolphins have tried playing with an adequate QB who could "avoid the mistake" and haven't gone to the playoffs in five years. Until that position is stable, nothing else matters. Not the defensive front seven, not the running game, not the OL, nothing matters beyond QB. You build a team around a QB and go from there. The most talented and balanced football team I've ever seen, the 2005 Patriots, wouldn't have gone anywhere without Tom Brady.

Imagine the Dolphins with a talented QB? Not a top 10 QB but a top 5 QB...

Now think about what we have now...

Don't you want an elite QB? I do.

There may or may not be an elite NFL QB out there in this draft, but I'd rather take a chance on a QB than a speedy WR, high-ranked NT, blocking LT, impressive RB or shutdown CB.

And what makes you so sure he will exceed in the NFL? If he is there at #9, that means 8 other teams weren't sold on him either. You don't take someone just to take someone. If you take him and he turns out to be a bust, you set the franchise back for years. Even more so with a QB.

That's the risk you take. You don't know who will be good and who won't- it's a crapshoot. Brady was a 6th rounder for God's sake. We NEED a QB to bank on for the future. It wouldn't be taking the guy just for the sake of taking him.

Where does "I gave up a high 5th round draft pick" Joey Harrington fit in this picture? :evil:

Everyone passed on Tom Brady until the sixth round...:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom