Why we dont need to draft a quarterback | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why we dont need to draft a quarterback

Joey was taken in the first round. Is he a franchise QB? Drafting a QB iln the early rounds does not mean he will be a franchise QB. It simply mean you'll be paying hiim more money. I don't think Rivers is a good comparison because of the weapons he is surrounded with. What QB wouln't look capable with LT, Turner, Gates, and VJ? Give these QBs the weapons and they can look as good or better than Rivers. It's all about the weapons.

And what makes you so sure he will exceed in the NFL? If he is there at #9, that means 8 other teams weren't sold on him either. You don't take someone just to take someone. If you take him and he turns out to be a bust, you set the franchise back for years. Even more so with a QB.

And if you don't take him and he turns out to be a franchise QB like was the case with Drew Brees you have to live with it and continue to make do with other teams castoffs/injured/reject/2nd stringers. And it doesn't necessarily mean 8 other teams were not sold on him but eight other teams may have had a greater need somewhere else or simply didn't need a QB.

I think the biggest argument is for drafting a QB in the right position. To read some of these posts, you would swear the we had the 1st pick every year and passed on the likes of Manning, Palmer, Rivers, Vick,etc. Guys if Russell and Quinn are gone, obviously there is not another QB worth the #9 Pick. Getting the stud QB, everything must be alligned, he has to be there in a position of quality. Sure it is easy to say draft a QB, draft a QB, but that QB taken must be worth the numbered pick! Stanton in the second, I guess would be ok, but when the first reports were put out, he was a projected 4th rounder. I think with Stanton, he is going to be another Cutler, especially if he does good at the Senior Bowl and combines, his stock is going to continue to rise and I think Detroit will take him in the 2nd if he is there. So guys lets be realistic, every franchise wants that stud QB, but we unfortunately haven't been in the position to take "THE" guy. So lets all just stay patient and see where everything lands us!!!

And if you don't take him and he turns out to be a franchise QB like was the case with Drew Brees you have to live with it and continue to make do with other teams castoffs/injured/reject/2nd stringers. And it doesn't necessarily mean 8 other teams were not sold on him but eight other teams may have had a greater need somewhere else or simply didn't need a QB.

But he could also turn out to be another Akili Smith, Cade McNown, or Joey Harrington. Big time busts. Everyone would agree we need a franchise QB, but just because you draft one high in the first round doesn't mean you will be getting one. Brady was a 6th round pick. Maybe Stanton will turn out to be a better pro than Quinn and you can draft him in the 2nd round possibly.

And Bingo was his name-o!!

But he could also turn out to be another Akili Smith, Cade McNown, or Joey Harrington. Big time busts. Everyone would agree we need a franchise QB, but just because you draft one high in the first round doesn't mean you will be getting one. Brady was a 6th round pick. Maybe Stanton will turn out to be a better pro than Quinn and you can draft him in the 2nd round possibly.

Brady was a huge stroke of luck. More QBs picked on the first day succeed than those picked on the second day, and that counts undrafted QBs as well.

I think Miami should do whatever it takes to find a QB. Even if it means drafting one in the first round every year and signing one in free agency.

That's how you keep your team in the cellar of the division for a long time. We already have our franchise QB: Daunte Culpepper!

What we need is a developmental QB to replace Joey "he sucks" Harrington in the 4th round...:wink:

That's how you keep your team in the cellar of the division for a long time. We already have our franchise QB: Daunte Culpepper!

What we need is a developmental QB to replace Joey "he sucks" Harrington in the 4th round...:wink:

I couldn't agree more. If Culpepper can come back close to 100%, I would think he would be the QB here for the next 4 to 5 years. So I don't see the need to use a 1st round pick on a QB right now until we find out if Culpepper can come back healthy and see what he has left. If he fails this coming season, then they should look to take a QB high in the 2008 draft.

There was this Marino guy who hung around for a while too.

LOL.... I didn't want to state the obvious. If you didn't know Marino was a 1st rd selection...then your (not you personally just in general) not a Dolfan!!!

Yea,If Brady makes it past three,I'd do what it takes to
move up a few spots.

What have you people seen in Quinn that would warrent us moving up to take him? Every big game i've seen him in this year he sucked. And lost. I'm not big into how a player does in the combine and his size and how hard he can throw, I'm more of what has he done on the field. And to me he has done nothing to make us trade away picks to get him.

Back
Top Bottom