Why we'll reach the playoffs | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why we'll reach the playoffs

testtubetimmy

Supreme Lord Emperor
Reaction score
Recently, I've been analyzing why we lost so many games last season, and the few seasons before while also comparing what Saban is doing to fix certain problems. Ive come to the conclusion that we'll almost certainly make the playoffs, and here is why.

Lets start out with the infamous "we lose in December and January" curse.

Much like last year, our last few games of the season are played in a warmer climate, except our very last game January 1st against the Patriots. But starting in December, we are home against Buffalo, AT san diego, home against NYJ, home against Tennesee, then finally at the Patriots. This team functions the best in the warmer weather, so theres not likely a chance we'll "freeze up" come the end of the season.

But we did that LAST YEAR when we had nice games at the end. (keep in mind we won a few, but ill chalk that up to Bates)

Well, dear friends, I studied why we lost so much in the past. Not only was it the coaching style (beat them in the first half and let the defense win the rest of the game) but it was also our defense itself!

By the end of the third and all through the fourth, our defense was so tired from having to win the game on its own, that teams were able to win in the last quarter sooooo many times. So how do we fix this problem?

The easiest solution seems like we should get a younger defense and interchange them with our older defense, allowing them both to get some rest and not be physically exhausted throughout the game. And that is what Saban is planning on doing with these recent draft picks. Also, our defense was so hurt last season (thomas, tim bowens, etc) that there were glaring holes that the team could pound through. With some young talent to fill those holes and a great defensive mind leading the way, we wont have to worry about having a defense too tired to play the full four quarters.

Jimmy Johnson once said (not while with the dolphins) that the key to winning the game was turnovers. The team with the most turnovers lost would lose. So why did AJ Feeley have so many interceptions? Why does any QB throw an INT. Too much pressure, inability to read the defense, throwing before getting sacked. Well, with our HUGE upgrade at line coach AND Offensive Coordinator making things simpler and easier for our players while making it more difficult for defenses to penetrate, we can give AJ (or frerotte, whoever you wish) the chance to throw more down the field to one of our great recievers. (Chambers, Booker, Brown, Boston? Hakim?) Good recievers make a QB better, and any of these guys can snatch the ball out of the air, making AJ seem like hes Delhomme a few seasons ago.

And finally, our backfield. With our new line coach and new schemes, teams cant watch game footage of last year and figure out our running patterns and where our holes will be. (granted they can do it on a game to game basis, like usual, but hear me out) Ricky Williams ran for the league high when he first came to the fins. The next year he did not, because teams new where the holes would be and prepared for him.

Now, imagine for a second, with our new line coach we get sort of a Denver style line, where theres always a hole for our RBs. Now imagine three interchangeable running backs in our lineup, constantly destroying the other teams defense. Ricky Williams, Ronnie Brown, Kay Jay Harris. All with something to prove.

The last thing ill say in this very very long entry is this. Last year, we lost so many games because it was all mental. The coaching staff fighting with eachother. Ricky Williams retiring. The crapload of hurricanes hitting and the worrying about family, players getting up and leaving practice, the organization was in chaos and it showed. All of these played a part in distracting the players and putting them in a losing funk. But now, with everything on one page, great talent, good coaching, and the mental mindset to win, the dolphins will go 11-5 and hit the playoffs running.

Lay off the sauce bro, the Dolphins will be lucky to win 7 games. Your coach is a rookie and will get schooled more often then not even by the likes of Mularkey of the Bills.

I agree this team has a legit shot at the playoffs. I've been saying it. And for more than just the reasons you list. The team has talent. It isn't as if we are an expansion team or completely rebuilding. The same core players are here that won 10 and 11 games under an inferior coaching staff. With the free agent acquisitions and draft picks, this team can certainly make the playoffs- regardless of being in a tough division.

In the NFL, you can never make statements like "x team is a lock for the playoffs." There is too much parity, injuries are so common... even the Patriots missed the playoffs 2 years ago!

That said, I agree that we have a shot. We can surprise some people.

testtubetimmy said:
Recently, I've been analyzing why we lost so many games last season, and the few seasons before while also comparing what Saban is doing to fix certain problems. Ive come to the conclusion that we'll almost certainly make the playoffs, and here is why.

Much like last year, our last few games of the season are played in a warmer climate, except our very last game January 1st against the Patriots. But starting in December, we are home against Buffalo, AT san diego, home against NYJ, home against Tennesee, then finally at the Patriots. This team functions the best in the warmer weather, so theres not likely a chance we'll "freeze up" come the end of the season.

But we did that LAST YEAR when we had nice games at the end. (keep in mind we won a few, but ill chalk that up to Bates)

Well, dear friends, I studied why we lost so much in the past. Not only was it the coaching style (beat them in the first half and let the defense win the rest of the game) but it was also our defense itself!

By the end of the third and all through the fourth, our defense was so tired from having to win the game on its own, that teams were able to win in the last quarter sooooo many times. So how do we fix this problem?

The easiest solution seems like we should get a younger defense and interchange them with our older defense, allowing them both to get some rest and not be physically exhausted throughout the game. And that is what Saban is planning on doing with these recent draft picks. Also, our defense was so hurt last season (thomas, tim bowens, etc) that there were glaring holes that the team could pound through. With some young talent to fill those holes and a great defensive mind leading the way, we wont have to worry about having a defense too tired to play the full four quarters.

Jimmy Johnson once said (not while with the dolphins) that the key to winning the game was turnovers. The team with the most turnovers lost would lose. So why did AJ Feeley have so many interceptions? Why does any QB throw an INT. Too much pressure, inability to read the defense, throwing before getting sacked. Well, with our HUGE upgrade at line coach AND Offensive Coordinator making things simpler and easier for our players while making it more difficult for defenses to penetrate, we can give AJ (or frerotte, whoever you wish) the chance to throw more down the field to one of our great recievers. (Chambers, Booker, Brown, Boston? Hakim?) Good recievers make a QB better, and any of these guys can snatch the ball out of the air, making AJ seem like hes Delhomme a few seasons ago.

And finally, our backfield. With our new line coach and new schemes, teams cant watch game footage of last year and figure out our running patterns and where our holes will be. (granted they can do it on a game to game basis, like usual, but hear me out) Ricky Williams ran for the league high when he first came to the fins. The next year he did not, because teams new where the holes would be and prepared for him.

Now, imagine for a second, with our new line coach we get sort of a Denver style line, where theres always a hole for our RBs. Now imagine three interchangeable running backs in our lineup, constantly destroying the other teams defense. Ricky Williams, Ronnie Brown, Kay Jay Harris. All with something to prove.

The last thing ill say in this very very long entry is this. Last year, we lost so many games because it was all mental. The coaching staff fighting with eachother. Ricky Williams retiring. The crapload of hurricanes hitting and the worrying about family, players getting up and leaving practice, the organization was in chaos and it showed. All of these played a part in distracting the players and putting them in a losing funk. But now, with everything on one page, great talent, good coaching, and the mental mindset to win, the dolphins will go 11-5 and hit the playoffs running.

Sounds like a lot of excuses to me.................

We'll be better because we have a smart coach now who knows how to draft, and also knows how to hire good supporting coaches.

You can't lay all the blame for mediocre quarterback play on everything else, sometimes you just have a mediocre quarterback no matter how good the supporting staff is. Not all quarterbacks are consistent or can be, not all are playmakers.

We'll find out about AJ, if he doesn't improve HIS play from last year we still won't reach our goals even if everything else is fixed.

BlueFin said:
Sounds like a lot of excuses to me.................

We'll be better because we have a smart coach now who knows how to draft, and also knows how to hire good supporting coaches.

You can't lay all the blame for mediocre quarterback play on everything else, sometimes you just have a mediocre quarterback no matter how good the supporting staff is. Not all quarterbacks are consistent or can be, not all are playmakers.

We'll find out about AJ, if he doesn't improve HIS play from last year we still won't reach our goals even if everything else is fixed.

If these were all just excuses, then this season we'll be the same no matter what. If we improve, then these werent excuses, but legitmate reasons on why we lost. So we'll just have to wait and see.

Also, I think Jake Delhomme is def a mediocre quarterback. I dont think many would disagree with me. But his team around him brought him to the next level. And when his teammates get hurt, he suffers. Lets hope this doesnt happen this upcoming year and eventually we can get ourselves a franchise QB

testtubetimmy said:

Very good post! I think that were not as bad as everyone thinks we are.

I'm expecting a competitive 8-8 season with the team looking to have a bright future.

Playoffs in '06

Whats the diff. between an excuse and a reason? They are both explaining why something happend. We had a piece of crap playbook last year, we had a horrible coach, we had a inexperienced QB (which unfortunatly we still have), we had a horrible blocking scheme, no running game what so ever, and a lot of bad breaks. Those are reasons, or excuses whatever you want to call them that is why we had a horrible season. Not to mention our 2 starting DT where taken out. I think Roth will be a big game changer this year and some of the FA's that we added will help the D. Just read what gus said on the opening page article, this Offense will be dangerous next year.

We can make the playoffs if Denver, New York Jets, Buffalo, Jacksonville, Houston,San Diego really underacieve this year because we are not winning the division this year. So we are really battling for the final 2 wildcard spots, these are the teams that were on the brink of the wildcard or made the wildcards last year.

jamny said:
I'm expecting a competitive 8-8 season with the team looking to have a bright future.

Playoffs in '06

I pretty much agree with this. I think it's hard to envision more than 8 wins at this point. I'll see how things have unfolded once the season is close to starting.

Dr. Tomorrow said:
We can make the playoffs if Denver, New York Jets, Buffalo, Jacksonville, Houston,San Diego really underacieve this year because we are not winning the division this year. So we are really battling for the final 2 wildcard spots, these are the teams that were on the brink of the wildcard or made the wildcards last year.

Yeah, the problem is, the AFC is STACKED. More than likely, this will be another year where some 10-6 team gets shut out. It is IMPERATIVE that we win our in-conference games if we are to have any hope of making the playoffs.

Maybe its just me or does anyone else realize we were just 10 - 6 just 2 seasons ago?

Why was last year such a mess? Well lets see, we had no RB our OLine played for crap and we had some terrible coaching.. I am not placing any blame on Feeley because he is not worse than Fiedler, I actually think he is better than Ears.. Also, our Defensive line took a HUGE hit with the losses of Bowen and Chester, allowing teams to run all over us..

So look at it this way.. We have a new OL coach with a few new faces added in there.. We added some big guys on the defensive line, we added some youth through the draft in Crowder and Roth.. We have a new coaching staff, no more of the same bland offense..

Why is it so hard to believe this team could easily win 10 games again next season?

If the Chargers can turn it around, why couldnt we? I think were in better shape than they were.. Drew Brees and Feeley had nearly the same season too..

67.5 rating 2108 yards 11 TD's 15 INT's in 11 games started for Brees
61.7 rating 1893 yards 11 TD's 15 INT's in 8 games started for Feeley

Its just not as crazy as people are making it sound.. I also dont think anyone needs to "lay off the sauce" because this stuff has happened before and its not like we were just a pathetic Franchise.. we had a lot of things factor into what happened last year..

Back
Top Bottom