Why we'll reach the playoffs | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why we'll reach the playoffs

I dont think we'll make it because the AFC is becoming more and more competitive/tougher and we have a lot of areas to improve on. I think we'll improve in some but not all.

I believe we can at least split with the other AFC East teams this year. That levels the field considerably. If we win the easier games and win half the tough ones we should come out in contension for a playoff spot. I can't see NE threatening another SB considering everything they've lost. They're good but no one is that good. I think the Jets will be the big threat. That big O-Line will be a force. Got to stop the run and force the pass. I think that will beat them. Buffalo?

testtubetimmy said:
Recently, I've been analyzing why we lost so many games last season, and the few seasons before while also comparing what Saban is doing to fix certain problems. Ive come to the conclusion that we'll almost certainly make the playoffs, and here is why.

Lets start out with the infamous "we lose in December and January" curse.

Much like last year, our last few games of the season are played in a warmer climate, except our very last game January 1st against the Patriots. But starting in December, we are home against Buffalo, AT san diego, home against NYJ, home against Tennesee, then finally at the Patriots. This team functions the best in the warmer weather, so theres not likely a chance we'll "freeze up" come the end of the season.

But we did that LAST YEAR when we had nice games at the end. (keep in mind we won a few, but ill chalk that up to Bates)

Well, dear friends, I studied why we lost so much in the past. Not only was it the coaching style (beat them in the first half and let the defense win the rest of the game) but it was also our defense itself!

By the end of the third and all through the fourth, our defense was so tired from having to win the game on its own, that teams were able to win in the last quarter sooooo many times. So how do we fix this problem?

The easiest solution seems like we should get a younger defense and interchange them with our older defense, allowing them both to get some rest and not be physically exhausted throughout the game. And that is what Saban is planning on doing with these recent draft picks. Also, our defense was so hurt last season (thomas, tim bowens, etc) that there were glaring holes that the team could pound through. With some young talent to fill those holes and a great defensive mind leading the way, we wont have to worry about having a defense too tired to play the full four quarters.

Jimmy Johnson once said (not while with the dolphins) that the key to winning the game was turnovers. The team with the most turnovers lost would lose. So why did AJ Feeley have so many interceptions? Why does any QB throw an INT. Too much pressure, inability to read the defense, throwing before getting sacked. Well, with our HUGE upgrade at line coach AND Offensive Coordinator making things simpler and easier for our players while making it more difficult for defenses to penetrate, we can give AJ (or frerotte, whoever you wish) the chance to throw more down the field to one of our great recievers. (Chambers, Booker, Brown, Boston? Hakim?) Good recievers make a QB better, and any of these guys can snatch the ball out of the air, making AJ seem like hes Delhomme a few seasons ago.

And finally, our backfield. With our new line coach and new schemes, teams cant watch game footage of last year and figure out our running patterns and where our holes will be. (granted they can do it on a game to game basis, like usual, but hear me out) Ricky Williams ran for the league high when he first came to the fins. The next year he did not, because teams new where the holes would be and prepared for him.

Now, imagine for a second, with our new line coach we get sort of a Denver style line, where theres always a hole for our RBs. Now imagine three interchangeable running backs in our lineup, constantly destroying the other teams defense. Ricky Williams, Ronnie Brown, Kay Jay Harris. All with something to prove.

The last thing ill say in this very very long entry is this. Last year, we lost so many games because it was all mental. The coaching staff fighting with eachother. Ricky Williams retiring. The crapload of hurricanes hitting and the worrying about family, players getting up and leaving practice, the organization was in chaos and it showed. All of these played a part in distracting the players and putting them in a losing funk. But now, with everything on one page, great talent, good coaching, and the mental mindset to win, the dolphins will go 11-5 and hit the playoffs running.
I like the way you think :D

we go 7-9 or 8-8 next year and break out in 06 and go to the superbowl that playoff season which happens to be in miami.

We have a very tough schedule so I think 8-8 is optimistic. Yes, we have made sme nice additions but it is going to take a whle for the team to gel....I would love for us to make the playoffs in 2005, but I am looking at 2006 for us to shine.

we will definatly be alot better... but playoffs? i doubt it... we have a hard schedual

I think we'll be playoff caliber, but in the AFC that won't always do it. You have to analyze what teams we will actually be better than.

AFC east: NE, Buf, NYJ, Mia (As good as buffalo, I'd put us just below NYJ and way behind NE)
AFC North: Pitt, Balt, Cincy, Clev. (we'll be better than cleveland, as good as Balt, dunno about the rest)
South: Indy, Jax, Houston, Ten (better than Tenn, probably as good as Hou. and worse then Jax and Indy)
West: SD, KC, Oak, Denver (I'd say we'll be as good as Denver an Oakland)

also our schedule will be pretty tough this year. Only sure wins will be vs Tennessee and *hopefully* @ Cleveland. I think we could maybe make the playoffs in the NFC, but not the AFC

:roflmao: to that post the phins will be 11-5 this yr , phins might get to 8-8 but more likely will be 7-9

now in 2006 u guy s might make a run in playoffs and the sb is in miami, so who knows there but in 2005 the pats win one more, they are getting better and better every day, chad scott is agreat pick up he will fill in bill b roles for the db's and chad brown is next to sign soon.

this pats team is better than ever with ben watson exploding on the scene , this guy is unreal and is 100% healthy now. teams are going to have migraines trying to cover this guy, graham, deion, givens, david terrell....

2 big motivators pats have is win it all without the 2 coords and be the 1s tteam to 3peat

they win it again and then i think in 2006 a new team will be winning it , will be hard to have anything else to really strive for but they will make playoffs for sure...

hate to say it but in 2006 the colts or steelers willl represent AFC in mIA , the phins will make the playoffs then but not go to the show, 2007 maybe ?
u guys finally got a real coach so its all looking positive from now on....

testtubetimmy said:
Recently, I've been analyzing why we lost so many games last season, and the few seasons before while also comparing what Saban is doing to fix certain problems. Ive come to the conclusion that we'll almost certainly make the playoffs, and here is why.

Lets start out with the infamous "we lose in December and January" curse.

Much like last year, our last few games of the season are played in a warmer climate, except our very last game January 1st against the Patriots. But starting in December, we are home against Buffalo, AT san diego, home against NYJ, home against Tennesee, then finally at the Patriots. This team functions the best in the warmer weather, so theres not likely a chance we'll "freeze up" come the end of the season.

But we did that LAST YEAR when we had nice games at the end. (keep in mind we won a few, but ill chalk that up to Bates)

Well, dear friends, I studied why we lost so much in the past. Not only was it the coaching style (beat them in the first half and let the defense win the rest of the game) but it was also our defense itself!

By the end of the third and all through the fourth, our defense was so tired from having to win the game on its own, that teams were able to win in the last quarter sooooo many times. So how do we fix this problem?

The easiest solution seems like we should get a younger defense and interchange them with our older defense, allowing them both to get some rest and not be physically exhausted throughout the game. And that is what Saban is planning on doing with these recent draft picks. Also, our defense was so hurt last season (thomas, tim bowens, etc) that there were glaring holes that the team could pound through. With some young talent to fill those holes and a great defensive mind leading the way, we wont have to worry about having a defense too tired to play the full four quarters.

Jimmy Johnson once said (not while with the dolphins) that the key to winning the game was turnovers. The team with the most turnovers lost would lose. So why did AJ Feeley have so many interceptions? Why does any QB throw an INT. Too much pressure, inability to read the defense, throwing before getting sacked. Well, with our HUGE upgrade at line coach AND Offensive Coordinator making things simpler and easier for our players while making it more difficult for defenses to penetrate, we can give AJ (or frerotte, whoever you wish) the chance to throw more down the field to one of our great recievers. (Chambers, Booker, Brown, Boston? Hakim?) Good recievers make a QB better, and any of these guys can snatch the ball out of the air, making AJ seem like hes Delhomme a few seasons ago.

And finally, our backfield. With our new line coach and new schemes, teams cant watch game footage of last year and figure out our running patterns and where our holes will be. (granted they can do it on a game to game basis, like usual, but hear me out) Ricky Williams ran for the league high when he first came to the fins. The next year he did not, because teams new where the holes would be and prepared for him.

Now, imagine for a second, with our new line coach we get sort of a Denver style line, where theres always a hole for our RBs. Now imagine three interchangeable running backs in our lineup, constantly destroying the other teams defense. Ricky Williams, Ronnie Brown, Kay Jay Harris. All with something to prove.

The last thing ill say in this very very long entry is this. Last year, we lost so many games because it was all mental. The coaching staff fighting with eachother. Ricky Williams retiring. The crapload of hurricanes hitting and the worrying about family, players getting up and leaving practice, the organization was in chaos and it showed. All of these played a part in distracting the players and putting them in a losing funk. But now, with everything on one page, great talent, good coaching, and the mental mindset to win, the dolphins will go 11-5 and hit the playoffs running.
All of this makes sense to say we will be a playoff team next year BUT, they're are new variables in this eqaution. Rookies, New HC, New OC, New DC, NEW OLC, and a new defensive scheme. It all has to gel.

If you guys were in the NFC you might make it. AFC is too good, and the other 3 AFC East teams are better than you. 8-8 at best for Miami - which would be quite an accomplishment for a rebuilding team in a tough division.

I think we might make the playoffs, and the fact that Saban is a rookie head coach> dont be fooled he knows what he is getting into thats why he went out and surronded himself with the best coaching staff...

patsdynasty said:
:roflmao: to that post the phins will be 11-5 this yr , phins might get to 8-8 but more likely will be 7-9

now in 2006 u guy s might make a run in playoffs and the sb is in miami, so who knows there but in 2005 the pats win one more, they are getting better and better every day, chad scott is agreat pick up he will fill in bill b roles for the db's and chad brown is next to sign soon.

this pats team is better than ever with ben watson exploding on the scene , this guy is unreal and is 100% healthy now. teams are going to have migraines trying to cover this guy, graham, deion, givens, david terrell....

2 big motivators pats have is win it all without the 2 coords and be the 1s tteam to 3peat

they win it again and then i think in 2006 a new team will be winning it , will be hard to have anything else to really strive for but they will make playoffs for sure...

hate to say it but in 2006 the colts or steelers willl represent AFC in mIA , the phins will make the playoffs then but not go to the show, 2007 maybe ?
u guys finally got a real coach so its all looking positive from now on....

last time i checked, this was a "dolphins" web site. Not a chance to promote your much overrated team. (i apologize. i know the pats are a great team, but as a die hard fins fan, i cant accept it and thus manifest my anger towards wannstedt into a hatred for all things in Massachuesettes.)

I agree that you have a lot backing you up, the idea that the pats will be good this year. Based on previous years, I would say its possible. But with the hits your team has taken, they'll be good. But the dynasty will end, sooner then you'll ever want.

And one last thing people. Im not being optomistic about us reaching the playoffs. Im being REALISTIC. I wrote many many reasons, using much evidence to back up my theory. And the best some of you "8-8ers" can come up with is "the afc is tough this season".

Two years ago, we were 10-6. Last season was a mistake. Too many coincidental things happened to make us lose that many games. Too many close games where we lost by only a few points, and too many coaching errors. Those errors are being fixed, the morale of the team is a thousand times better, the coaches are on one page, and our talent is shining.

So make your predictions for a 2006 superbowl. Me personally? I think this season is the start of a beautiful dynasty.

I do not think the playoffs are out of the question. Miami was a couple of plays a game away from almost every loss last year. I think it is safe to say that Saban has improved Miami to the point where they will be better a couple of plays more than last season. Will those couple of plays be enough to make the playoffs, who knows.

DrewOldSchool said:
I believe we can at least split with the other AFC East teams this year. That levels the field considerably. If we win the easier games and win half the tough ones we should come out in contension for a playoff spot. I can't see NE threatening another SB considering everything they've lost. They're good but no one is that good. I think the Jets will be the big threat. That big O-Line will be a force. Got to stop the run and force the pass. I think that will beat them. Buffalo?

lol thats funny because most fans of the nfl, including pats fans, said that same thing after sb 36.... the pats wont be winning another sb for a long long time, if ever! and then people said in 2003 noway the pats lost their def captain 5 days before season opener and then they had league high injuries that yr and they won it all.....

last yr same things, the secondary was a patchwork group and there was noway in hell they were going to beat the mighty colts and their 4th best all time offense in the playoffs even at home!!

no this yr same story... noway the pats will 3peat the ylost their coords, they lost bruschi, andruzzi, patten.... but the pats are loaded all around, and the only way the pats definitely fail in a sb win is if brady goes down, because while the pats have a great team if he is out then the run stops there, thats obvious....

and thats why the pats picked a few off linemen this yr, have to protect the 3time sb champ qb .....

testtubetimmy said:
last time i checked, this was a "dolphins" web site. Not a chance to promote your much overrated team. (i apologize. i know the pats are a great team, but as a die hard fins fan, i cant accept it and thus manifest my anger towards wannstedt into a hatred for all things in Massachuesettes.)

I agree that you have a lot backing you up, the idea that the pats will be good this year. Based on previous years, I would say its possible. But with the hits your team has taken, they'll be good. But the dynasty will end, sooner then you'll ever want.

And one last thing people. Im not being optomistic about us reaching the playoffs. Im being REALISTIC. I wrote many many reasons, using much evidence to back up my theory. And the best some of you "8-8ers" can come up with is "the afc is tough this season".

Two years ago, we were 10-6. Last season was a mistake. Too many coincidental things happened to make us lose that many games. Too many close games where we lost by only a few points, and too many coaching errors. Those errors are being fixed, the morale of the team is a thousand times better, the coaches are on one page, and our talent is shining.

So make your predictions for a 2006 superbowl. Me personally? I think this season is the start of a beautiful dynasty.

lol :lol: ok 1st of all, at the pats msg bds we have several phin fans there, and i m not on here being a jerk.... and saying we have taken too many hits? where wer eu last 4 yrs? the pats team has lost key players each season and this season the big hting is the coords but they will be fine since eric mangini is back and knows the whole deal. brady is the off corrd, hes the man and bill b together thats all the pats need.

the pats now ar e deeper and more talented than ever, like i said earlier watch out for ben watson, this guy will be the top te in the nfl soon. hes sick!!!!! and besides him others that sat out all last yr are back, cedrick cobbs rb, klecko, pk sam who will be a starter soon hes great talent, rodney bailey whos still young and very talented. and with chad brown about to sign he will be a great addition too.....

the DyNEsty is not quite over folks, its going to be one more miserable yr of seeing the once sorry *** "patsies" win the lombardi again and then afterwards all of the pats haters shaking their heads saying, how the hell did they win it again wtf is going on here??????

im hoping for 2006 to see the phins host the pats in the afc title gm and then the pats win it on a 47 yd fg by mr clutch adam v in last secs!!!!

1985 was tough but that would be tougher losing the gm before the sb will be played in miami, ouch!!!

but mia has a looooong way to go before they can talk afc title gms....
but the pats are right there again just plugging the holes, not rebuilding but reloading the lombardi winning machine!!!!!! and u said this season uwill start a beautiful dynasty?? lol maybe on your new xbox 3 thats coming out but not in real life! phins might even get to 10-6 but the afc is loaded and that wont be enough to even get wc

:bling: :D

Back
Top Bottom