Why won’t the dolphin sign veteran running back? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why won’t the dolphin sign veteran running back?

At the rate Tue was going in that game, if he attempted 50 passes like Brady and Prescott did last night or Herbert did a few time last season, he would have thrown for close to 500 yards and 4 tds and everyone would be annointing him.
Man we really are desperate for a QB!

Man we really are desperate for a QB!
Not at all. People get caught up in stats for their fantasy league in judging qbs too much. The see the a big difference in a qb throwing 4 tds and 400 yards on 50 attempts in a win as a much better performance than a qb throwing 2 tds and 200 yards on 25 attempts in a win. If the game plays out that youthrow half as many passes as someone else the qb with twice as many attempts should end up with more yards

I think it's pretty obvious.

They place more importance on the positions they drafted, rather than RB.

We can agree or not, personally I do, but it's not some mystery.
True, this is obvious, as the result of that will also likely be…

I think alot of us would like the rb room to look different, but in the end if your leading rusher is having 10 or 11 carries, like the two teams did yesterday, does it really matter if the rb is Zeke Elliott or Malcom Brown. pass happy games like the Bucs and Cowboys will become a common sight.

Last edited:
Bell and Freeman are garbage … the only one worth signing was Murray!

of course that would have meant releasing Brown … and not sure our organization wants to look like that … equally we don’t know what BAL agreed to pay Murray either …

There will be more to the story …. But MOST of these vets are NOT worth signing … BAL was just panicking, and rightfully so, given they have SB aspirations …

Depending on how the WR room sorts out this year - or NOT, will drive how much of priority RB is next year … I don’t have as much faith in our current WRs as most do in this forum …. But we’ll know the answer by week 17 …. 👍

True, this is obvious, as the result of that will also likely be…
To be honest, I see the situation like this.

There were really only two (possibly three) backs that might have made a difference in this year's draft. WR, and pass rusher were way higher on the priority list, and those backs were gone when we picked Holland.

Dolphins offense appears to be centered around small backs that get lost behind the gigantic offensive linemen. That is why Gaskin and Ahmed work.

Not at all. People get caught up in stats for their fantasy league in judging qbs too much. The see the a big difference in a qb throwing 4 tds and 400 yards on 50 attempts in a win as a much better performance than a qb throwing 2 tds and 200 yards on 25 attempts in a win. If the game plays out that youthrow half as many passes as someone else the qb with twice as many attempts should end up with more yards

Haha. I don't play fantasy football and Murray threw less passes in the game. He also had more yards and TD. So where are you going with this?

I think Flores and Grier subscribe to the fresh legs and pop > veteran experience at arguably the most evolved skill position in this league over the last 20 years. The workhorse model that the Titans run with Henry just isn’t common anymore and really requires someone special, much like our years with Ricky. And even then no matter the talent level the drop off begins usually in their late 20s, it’s just nature. Tom Brady never had an elite HOF RB and had six rings to show for it in NE. Fresh legs win the day in this league now. It’s a philosophy that had an insane amount of success in New England, the very place Flores and Grier were raised up in.

Haha. I don't play fantasy football and Murray threw less passes in the game. He also had more yards and TD. So where are you going with this?
I didn't mention Murray. I said if Tua doubled his pass attempts and threw 50+ passes he would have thrown for nearly 500 yards at the rate he was playing that game and that statement was disputed. So I countered with the statement that the only difference from Tua have a game similar to what Brady and Prescott had on Thursday was the attempts and that some people get caught up[ on the yardage totals because they're too focused on fantasy football and not the context of how those stats were gained.

Harris over Phillips yes.
Ok...but Harris is 23 years old. So you'd be using a first rounder which more than likely would be a four year rental. Most RBs don't get a second contact, and many that do, fail to live up to them. RB is a limited shelf life.

And with only four years to offer, if he misses anytime due to injury (most RBs do) you get even less from the investment...In a league where running the football is diminished each year.

I'd prefer a dominant pass rusher to a dominant RB.

Check out Barry Jackson's article on how the Fins have been hitting on late rd picks. Gaskin has more yds per game than most of the RBs picked before him...even acct for time missed.

And MG isn't the only RB...Ahmad Salvon is a good player. Last game vs Patriots, he had 120 yards rushing.

RB isn't nearly the need many fans believe it to be. But you never have enough pass rushers.

To be honest, I see the situation like this.

There were really only two (possibly three) backs that might have made a difference in this year's draft. WR, and pass rusher were way higher on the priority list, and those backs were gone when we picked Holland.
But there is also verified stories that Flo tired to trade back up into first for Holland. To a pick where those backs were still available

it seems like Grier sucks at evaluating veteran RB's. We all know Malcom Brown sucks and will suck this season. Gaskin and Ahmed are clearly better. But Jordan Howard was a disaster, as was Matt Bredia. and then we sign Malcom freakin brown, Grier needs to do better at evaluating players and talents in free agency and in the draft. So far seems like we've missed on more than we've hit on in the grand scheme of all positions.
What position group does Grier evaluate well?

Please stop. Yes, we won and it was great. Don't act like you think he outplayed Murray in any way. He played a very nice game. Good QBs run those numbers every week!
Actually this is not true at all. They were winning going into the 4th. They outgained us by 40 yards passing and 100+ on the ground. We scored a defensive TD and that was the difference. You guys act as if he was lighting up the sky or something. It was his best game and it was nice.Yes the defense scored a TD but the Dolphins defense did not play well overall in the game. As you point out,
As you point out the defense gave up more yards passing and they had no answer in stopping Murray when he decided to run the ball.
While the defense did have a TD, it was Tua and the Dolphins offense which kept the team in the game as Murray was able to do what he wanted against the Dolphins defense throughout the game.

Tua played a good but not great game but he also did nothing that would have caused the Dolphins to lose the game. As great as Murray played in the game, he didn’t play against Tua, he made his plays against the Dolphins defense. Also, Tua was making on his 2nd career start in the NFL while Murray
had been a starter for the entire 2019 season plus all the games leading up to game against the Dolphins in 2020. Therefore you would expect Murray
to be the better QB at that point in both their careers.

Just look at the Tampa/Dallas game as an example. Zeke, Ronald Jones, and Fournette, who are considered "better" than our backfield, couldn't rush for more than 33 yards or exceed 3.6ypc.

Back
Top Bottom