Why won’t the dolphin sign veteran running back? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why won’t the dolphin sign veteran running back?

I agree and if you remember last season Tua outdueled Kyler Murray in a shootout win over Arizona. Then the injuries started pouring over the team with just about every able bodied player going down leaving only backups & fringe players left on the field. Did Tua struggle with them....yes he did. Would Tom Brady struggle with that roster? Yes he would have...

Lets give the guy a chance, If he lays an egg this season then Ill be the first to question his abilities but as of this time he has shown flashes that he can do it and only needs the right guys around him.
Look at the stats. Outdueled him? Not really. Murray was 21-26 for 285 and 3 TD. Tua was 20-28 for 248 and 2 TD. Murray also ran for 106 yards and a TD. That's wishful thinking that he outdueled Murray. He had a slightly above average game and we treat it like he won the super bowl.

If anything that shows they aren’t always capable of signing players that will actually contribute.
Every team in the NFL misses on draft picks and free agent signings. We just dwell on the Dolphin misses because we pay far more attention to them than other teams in the NFL.
Belichick was fortunate to have Brady all those years because he has made a lot of mistakes with his draft picks over the years and especially over the last decade.

Look at the stats. Outdueled him? Not really. Murray was 21-26 for 285 and 3 TD. Tua was 20-28 for 248 and 2 TD. Murray also ran for 106 yards and a TD. That's wishful thinking that he outdueled Murray. He had a slightly above average game and we treat it like he won the super bowl.
All that shows me is the Dolphins defense couldn’t contain Murray and he was able to run and pass at will against an ineffective defense on that day. Yet when the game was over, Tua played well and the Dolphins won the game. Winning the game is the only thing that matters no matter how good the opposing teams QB stats were.

Murray is an excellent QB and his decisions to run is something Tua isn’t prone to do. Yet eventually running QB’s don’t end up having long careers in the NFL. So give me an accurate passer who moves well in the pocket over a running QB any day of the week.

All that shows me is the Dolphins defense couldn’t contain Murray and he was able to run and pass at will against an ineffective defense on that day. Yet when the game was over, Tua played well and the Dolphins won the game. Winning the game is the only thing that matters no matter how good the opposing teams QB stats were.

Murray is an excellent QB and his decisions to run is something Tua isn’t prone to do. Yet eventually running QB’s don’t end up having long careers in the NFL. So give me an accurate passer who moves well in the pocket over a running QB any day of the week.
All true, but I still wouldn't say Tua "outdueled" Murray, which was the point, and I'm not a Murray fan. He will win some games, but much like Jackson, unless he learns to read defenses, stand in the pocket, and deliver the rock on time, he will be limited.

it seems like Grier sucks at evaluating veteran RB's. We all know Malcom Brown sucks and will suck this season. Gaskin and Ahmed are clearly better. But Jordan Howard was a disaster, as was Matt Bredia. and then we sign Malcom freakin brown, Grier needs to do better at evaluating players and talents in free agency and in the draft. So far seems like we've missed on more than we've hit on in the grand scheme of all positions.

All true, but I still wouldn't say Tua "outdueled" Murray, which was the point, and I'm not a Murray fan. He will win some games, but much like Jackson, unless he learns to read defenses, stand in the pocket, and deliver the rock on time, he will be limited.
Yes, this was the point I was making. I cannot stress enough that in order to win super bowls these days, you need a big-time QB, not running back. Our guys can handle the load.

I agree that it would be inaccurate to say Tua out dueled Murray in that game. The Cardinals had to rely on the running and passing of Murray just to stay in that game. While the Dolphins had a more well rounded offensive attack in the game which relied on Tua just running the offense and utilizing the players around him.

They both played well in the game and both of them gave their team a chance to win and didn’t really do anything to cause their team to lose the game. That is really all you can expect from the QB and why it’s up to the other players on the team to do their jobs properly when they are on the field if they expect their TEAM to win the game.

Last edited:
My reference was to the scoreboard where the dual matters the most no?
Also Tua I had a very good day by any stretch of the word so yes he out dueled him because he won and he played well.
Tua = 1

Kyler = 0

I agree and if you remember last season Tua outdueled Kyler Murray in a shootout win over Arizona. Then the injuries started pouring over the team with just about every able bodied player going down leaving only backups & fringe players left on the field. Did Tua struggle with them....yes he did. Would Tom Brady struggle with that roster? Yes he would have...

Lets give the guy a chance, If he lays an egg this season then Ill be the first to question his abilities but as of this time he has shown flashes that he can do it and only needs the right guys around him.
yes Tua had couple good game and some not so good game..i understand that as rookie..the best thing is talk about it in jan... i will have better idea of Tua...

My reference was to the scoreboard where the dual matters the most no?
Also Tua I had a very good day by any stretch of the word so yes he out dueled him because he won and he played well.
Tua = 1

Kyler = 0
It's a team game. The Phins out dueled AZ.

Spin it any way that makes you happy. Murray had the better day statistically.

The fact is, it was the defense that won that game by stopping them cold on a couple "and short" situations.

it seems like Grier sucks at evaluating veteran RB's. We all know Malcom Brown sucks and will suck this season. Gaskin and Ahmed are clearly better. But Jordan Howard was a disaster, as was Matt Bredia. and then we sign Malcom freakin brown, Grier needs to do better at evaluating players and talents in free agency and in the draft. So far seems like we've missed on more than we've hit on in the grand scheme of all positions.
Brown has averaged 4 ypc during his time in the NFL. Obviously he isn’t a top tier RB but saying we all know he will suck is completely wrong.
A lot of posters thought Doaks would come in and win one of the RB spots on the final 53 but Brown beat out him and Laird for that spot. So obviously the coaches feel better about Brown than you do.

Perhaps Brown will end up being another failed free agent RB for the Dolphins but I am certainly willing to see how he plays during the regular season before I call him a bad signing by Grier.

As far as your statement that Grier is a terrible talent evaluator. All I know is the Dolphins went from a complete rebuild in 2019 to a 10 win team in 2020. So someone must be selecting better players for the Dolphins roster, if it’s not Grier. It was also Grier who selected Flores to be the HC of the Dolphins when very few posters on here even knew who Flores was.

I was never a big Grier supporter and I wanted Ross to hire a new GM when he said he was going to completely rebuild the team with a new HC. Yet even though I wasn’t a big Grier backer, I have to give him credit for many of the things he has done right in the past 2 plus years. Just as I have no problem questioning some of the decisions he has made which haven’t worked out. Overall though, I think he has done a very good job as the GM since hiring Flores.

At the rate Tue was going in that game, if he attempted 50 passes like Brady and Prescott did last night or Herbert did a few time last season, he would have thrown for close to 500 yards and 4 tds and everyone would be annointing him.

Maybe it wasn't the game of the century, but I don't see how Murray could be construed as outdueling Tua, seeing as when he had a chance to win the game for his team he didn't get it done.

Ohh, I remember, fantasy football stats. Right. Not whether or not players produced for their team AND actually converted production into wins when the opportunity was there.

Back
Top Bottom