Why would anyone take Pitts over Smith? | Page 22 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why would anyone take Pitts over Smith?

It scares me. I honestly think the pick is going to be Waddle anyway.

Waddle over Pitts would be hard to swallow. Waddle in the perfect world would be someone worth taking after picks 15. Meaning, if we could get him with our 18 yes. With Pick number 6 no, specially if he isn't the best receiver in the draft. Out of all receivers in terms of size, speed, and route running, Chase would be the best choice Mr. Pittbull.

The move to 6 tells me that they are looking at the "top" receiver. Now that may mean something else to the Dolphins than the everyday fan or the NFL analysts. They probably want a player that can come in day 1 and move the needle in the right direction. A true playmaker that fits the teams offensive scheme and can hit the field and perform. The question is out of all these receivers based on these requirements mentioned how would you rank them?
If they pick at 6 it would be whoever is closest fit, because next year the offense needs to be rolling on its own and not get carried by the defense.

Waddle over Pitts would be hard to swallow. Waddle in the perfect world would be someone worth taking after picks 15. Meaning, if we could get him with our 18 yes. With Pick number 6 no, specially if he isn't the best receiver in the draft. Out of all receivers in terms of size, speed, and route running, Chase would be the best choice Mr. Pittbull.
Oh I agree with you. I think miami thinks they have a vertical threat in Fuller to stretch the defense out vertically and Waddle will stretch the defense horizontally which you need to do in an RPO scheme. JMHO but I can see it going that way. I would prefer Pitts at 6.

Last edited:
The move to 6 tells me that they are looking at the "top" receiver. Now that may mean something else to the Dolphins than the everyday fan or the NFL analysts. They probably want a player that can come in day 1 and move the needle in the right direction. A true playmaker that fits the teams offensive scheme and can hit the field and perform. The question is out of all these receivers based on these requirements mentioned how would you rank them?
If they pick at 6 it would be whoever is closest fit, because next year the offense needs to be rolling on its own and not get carried by the defense.
I think they have a couple in mind, maybe they get their choice of wr/te depending on how the draft falls. I wouldn't rule out another trade down.

Wow those overthrows don’t look great but at least smith snd waddle think he’s better than Tua....... so chase or Pitts it is

Smith has consistently excelled on the field and just this year he was the first WR to win the Heisman Trophy in 30 years. Half of FH just fixates on Smitty's slight stature but the reality is that he has proven over and over that he can separate from physical DBs with his natural agility. In every game in college and high school, he probably had opponents who set out to blow him up and they failed. In addition, he has proven chemistry catching balls from Tua.
Yes, Pitts is a great TE prospect and will probably be a big success in the NFL, but the Dolphins bigger need is an elite quality WR. The Dolphins TE trio of Mike Gesicki, Durham Smythe and Adam Shaheen just happened to be coming off the most productive season ever by Miami Dolphins TEs - check the stats.
My message to all readers is don't focus on Smith's body - focus on his body of work. There is a pretty good chance that he is going to be the pick.
I agree his starts are phenomenal and his performances are admirable. How does this translate to the next level. He’s quick, not fast. Reliable, not special. Intelligent, not physically gifted. I’m fairly sure we can get another WR later in the draft but can’t get a TE like Pitts. The way Chris Grier has been wheeling, we may get both. Chase is looking more like a prototypical receiver though with him running a 4.38.

While everyone seems to be arguing over Pitts vs Smith I prefer Chase over both.

I could see Atlanta taking Pitts at 4 and Cincy taking Chase at 5 which would leave miami in a position to take Waddle or Smith, take Sewell, or trade down with Carolina for one of the QB's.

In that case I would like to get a 2nd rounder from Carolina and then grab one of Waddle/Smith at 8.

But my preference is taking Chase or Pitts at 6.

We need Atlanta to go QB or OT or trade down and/or Cincy to go OT or trade down.

Considering Pitts talent level and his potential to line up at various positions .... not to mention the mismatch opportunities ...

Add to the above Gesicki and Smythe (I'm pretty sure) are in a contract year ....

I don't see why he is not the target. ... of course a couple of extensions and there you go but Pitts would be on a 5 yr. rookie deal...

Stronger and faster than the one’s he faced in the SEC the past 4 years, some of which are in the NFL now?
Yes Ejay - the NFL DB's are much stronger and faster than the SEC DB's. They also tackle harder, cover better, and have much better technique. They are better. Much better.

I'm a Smith fan, I'd also LOVE to see us draft him. But I do wonder how his playmaking skillset will be impacted by NFL level DB's.

By the way, boy did Smith look fantastic on his routes at the Alabama Pro Day. He's not just fast, his quick burst is among the best I've seen in any rookie prospect.

Oh wow..still..no Natty's since 1980? Damn, dude. What have you done in the last 40+ years? Never won the big one, that's what. We've got three since then. Sucks to suck. And yeah. we won the SEC EAST and then rather faded, that's true..still..Georgia lost Pickens and will finish behind the Gators once again..Kirby Smart can recruit with the best but too bad he couldn't keep Fields, has no qb, can't coach offense..and still y'all can't ever win the big one. 1980..dang!
Care to put a bet on Ga Fl this year since your so sure?

Back
Top Bottom