Why would anyone take Pitts over Smith? | Page 24 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why would anyone take Pitts over Smith?

Honest question. If this kid was say his height (I believe 6' 1") and say a solid 200lbs. Would there even be a discussion about taking him off the board early?
If he gains 30lbs he'd lose about 2 seconds on his 40...but if he was naturally 6'1" 200lbs? The narrative might change..yes..honestly!

If he gains 30lbs he'd lose about 2 seconds on his 40...but if he was naturally 6'1" 200lbs? The narrative might change..yes..honestly!

So once more the knock on him has nothing to do with his ability on the field. Everyone pretty much has concluded the kid has some serious skills?

The concern is he "might" not be able to handle the more physical nature of the NFL.

Yet guys like Parker and Williams and AJ Green and Julio etc etc etc are physically bigger and are ALWAYS hurt.

People giving the "he's too skinny" argument need to understand one thing. A person can look rail thin and still be strong as an ox. I experienced this when I worked a summer job as part of a High School program doing landscaping. Our manager was a rail thin older man and we usually loaded the generator into the back of a truck with the help of 2 people. One day one of the kids challenged him in a test of strength. The kid who was a beefy HS football player could barely lift it 1 foot off the ground. This old skinny man grabbed it with 1 hand and threw it in the back of the truck like it was bag of popcorn. No one dared challenge him after that. Anyway, to me Smith seems to be stronger than he looks and even when he gets tackled by multiple players he gets back and keeps catching passes.

So once more the knock on him has nothing to do with his ability on the field. Everyone pretty much has concluded the kid has some serious skills?

The concern is he "might" not be able to handle the more physical nature of the NFL.

Yet guys like Parker and Williams and AJ Green and Julio etc etc etc are physically bigger and are ALWAYS hurt.
You are conflating two things though... not being able to handle the strength/physical nature of the NFL... and injury.

Many of us suspect that Smith's lack of core strength will be an issue. That he'll be knocked from his routes by bigger and savvier CBs and head-hunting safeties.

Someone posted a Smith video a few minutes ago... on the first long TD play, the CB (I think it was LSU) actually missed the snap and was looking out of bounds when the play started... LOL... and then the safety didn't come over to help... it was very funny.

I realize all of Smith's TDs can't be chalked up to gross errors like this, but what he's going to face is soooo much better than Vanderbilt and South Carolina.

Yes..that's the knock..that's the concern...legit or not in your eyes it Is a concern many have. Just like they get worried that little in stature and size pitchers in the majors won't last long..there's a stereotype that people want for size in sports..he'll have to overcome it. He may. I still like Pitts more. No matter if he stays healthy..but yeah. Pitts/Chase/Waddle/Smith; to me. Feel free to disagree.

You are conflating two things though... not being able to handle the strength/physical nature of the NFL... and injury.

Many of us suspect that Smith's lack of core strength will be an issue. That he'll be knocked from his routes by bigger and savvier CBs and head-hunting safeties.

Someone posted a Smith video a few minutes ago... on the first long TD play, the CB (I think it was LSU) actually missed the snap and was looking out of bounds when the play started... LOL... and then the safety didn't come over to help... it was very funny.

I realize all of Smith's TDs can't be chalked up to gross errors like this, but what he's going to face is soooo much better than Vanderbilt and South Carolina.

But he's beaten EVERYONE at the college level. The best of the best and that LSU CB is Stingley! For Ohio it was Wade for South Carolina Horn. I mean come on! Who elese can the kid destroy before we say, "Maybe he's just that good and will be okay at the next level?"

But he's beaten EVERYONE at the college level. The best of the best and that LSU CB is Stingley! For Ohio it was Wade for South Carolina Horn. I mean come on! Who elese can the kid destroy before we say, "Maybe he's just that good and will be okay at the next level?"
I'd love to see him on a team that's bad in the NFL..not best of the best in college...that will be a different thing..not two of the greatest QB's..OL..WR..RB..WR..in all of college football history for four years running..not really his fault but reality! His QB in the NFL may and probably won't play as well as his QB in college...even if it Is TUA again! NFL is a different level!

How about X... and Jones...

Men.

28 year old men who are at the top of their craft, and used to shutting down heavier players.

It would have been a big deal in 1975. Back then you could beat up receivers. Then this guy named Mel Blount came along and they had to change the rules.

It would have been a big deal in 1975. Back then you could beat up receivers. Then this guy named Mel Blount came along and they had to change the rules.
They changed them even more in the last 10 years! DOH! LOL WR's have a big advantage...big..haha

Back
Top Bottom