Why would anyone take Pitts over Smith? | Page 37 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why would anyone take Pitts over Smith?

I guess you are not familiar with the truism that "you can't prove a negative"?

You're assertion is illogical on the face.

View attachment 73782
Kind of seems like a valid point tho.

Kyler Murray is 5'10" and only one QB below 6 feet has ever made the Pro Bowl besides him. Was the existence of Russell Wilson (who is an inch taller) the only thing that justified taking him #1?

Just bc we haven't seen it before, doesn't mean we won't.

Kyler Murray is 5'10" and only one QB below 6 feet has ever made the Pro Bowl besides him. Was the existence of Russell Wilson (who is an inch taller) the only thing that justified taking him #1?

There's no way Drew Brees is his listed 6' height...

But okay. :KIP: :shrug: :KIP:

Actually..at 5'10" or 5'9" if you wanna be factual..Doug Flutie made the Pro Bowl in 1998.:shrug:

There's no way Drew Brees is his listed 6' height...

But okay. :KIP: :shrug: :KIP:
I can only go by his combine height, which is just over 6 feet. I've asked but he won't cooperate with me to confirm.

But good call w Flutie. Can't believe I forgot about him. Hard guy to dislike even as a Bill. Did have one pro bowl season, but not exactly an impressive career.

Last edited:

I think you are missing the point.

It's not impossible. Nobody is saying that. It is, however highly against the odds. I mean your own example even supports that.

Also a comment on the Murray situation. He wins quite a few regular season games on his incredible sheer athletic ability. I don't consider him an "elite" QB at this point. Maybe someday, when/if he actually learns to play the "QB" position at a high level.

I think you are missing the point.

It's not impossible. Nobody is saying that. It is, however highly against the odds. I mean your own example even supports that.

Also a comment on the Murray situation. He wins quite a few regular season games on his incredible sheer athletic ability. I don't consider him an "elite" QB at this point. Maybe someday, when/if he actually learns to play the "QB" position at a high level.
Never called him elite. He's 23 years old. Same age as Tua. Yeah he does needs to grow as a QB. But did rush for 820 yards/11 TDs, and led the Cards to the 6th most yards in the league.

He isn't elite, but how many 2nd year QBs are? Just last year you would have had identical criticisms toward Josh Allen but worse.

Kyler was an outlier that dominated enough in college to become the #1 pick. Do u think it was a bad pick?

Regarding Devonta. I obviously would prefer a prototype player. My preference is definitely Pitts, but that isn't looking likely at the moment.

It's true I've never seen a player with a physical profile similar to Devonta succeed in the NFL. I've also never seen one dominate high level SEC competition in any way close to the degree he did. So I don’t have anyone to compare him to.

I could be breaking my own rule here by being too dismissive of his weight. I do tend to be very critical of negative outlier prospects. I'll admit it's risky.

If I ever felt I saw his weight be a hindrance it would be an obvious red flag to me. But when I have watched Smith play, I have trouble finding any instances of his frame being an issue as a reciever. Maybe that will change in the NFL. I don't know.

If I ever felt I saw his weight be a hindrance it would be an obvious red flag to me. But when I have watched Smith play, I have trouble finding any instances of his frame being an issue as a reciever. Maybe that will change in the NFL. I don't know.
I feel the same way.

For some reason he reminds me of Yatil Green as far as how skinny he is (looks) and Green weighed way more...closer to 200 I think at draft time. Maybe my memory is off but Green lasted a whole what 2 practices....I forgot did he even get hit or did he just go down with that knee injury on his own? In any case...the production is amazing...however he can't produce if he can't stay on the field and I wonder if he can take the beating of the NFL after a year or 2 or will he start to break down rapidly...

I don't see why we take anyone over an O-lineman. TE? Shoot, no first-round tight end has put up 1,000 yards in one of his first three seasons. I know it's not a sexy choice, but if it's a safe and effective choice.

Everyone talks about physical traits and measurable. Stats and the like. No one talks about desire and football IQ. Those things cannot be measured and are the exact same things that separate the great from the good players.

Smith has desire and football IQ. Along with the extreme talent, that is the reason he is my choice at 6.

They say gamble on greatness. Well picking a TE at 6 is gambling against history. Drafting a WR who had one of the best years in college ball ever, with his ONLY downside being a small frame, is my idea of gambling on greatness. All in on Davonta.

That said, I’d be very happy with Pitts if he was available at 6 and Grier n Flo thought he was the guy.

Never called him elite. He's 23 years old. Same age as Tua. Yeah he does needs to grow as a QB. But did rush for 820 yards/11 TDs, and led the Cards to the 6th most yards in the league.

He isn't elite, but how many 2nd year QBs are? Just last year you would have had identical criticisms toward Josh Allen but worse.

Kyler was an outlier that dominated enough in college to become the #1 pick. Do u think it was a bad pick?

Regarding Devonta. I obviously would prefer a prototype player. My preference is definitely Pitts, but that isn't looking likely at the moment.

It's true I've never seen a player with a physical profile similar to Devonta succeed in the NFL. I've also never seen one dominate high level SEC competition in any way close to the degree he did. So I don’t have anyone to compare him to.

I could be breaking my own rule here by being too dismissive of his weight. I do tend to be very critical of negative outlier prospects. I'll admit it's risky.

I really liked this post..I think some of us are going thru the same discussions internally..I posted this in another thread but I think you may find it interesting....Devonte Smiths body may actually be working for him rather than what a lot of folks think..This is a uniquely built athlete..a Body that can at times produce sheer explosive power.

1618309578706.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom