Why would anyone take Pitts over Smith? | Page 35 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why would anyone take Pitts over Smith?

If you want to argue who's better between Smith and Pitts, that's fine. It's a valid argument for 2 great college players.

Personally, I have very little issue with Smith's weight. If i was a GM/Scout, would i prefer him to be heavier without losing his speed/movement skills? Absolutely. But if there's 1 position on the field where weight has the least amount of impact, it's WR. WRs can protect themselves more than any other position.....ducking tackles, running out of bounds, positional blocking

Marvin was 185lbs not 170lbs like Smith. :shrug:

Sure he was.

I've seen lots of references to him being in the 170's at Syracuse and he weighed in at 181 before his draft. Skill players tend to lose weight during the season from all the running/conditioning and play at a lower weight than they show at the combine. I would bet he played around 175 max in college.

If you want to argue who's better between Smith and Pitts, that's fine. It's a valid argument for 2 great college players.

Personally, I have very little issue with Smith's weight. If i was a GM/Scout, would i prefer him to be heavier without losing his speed/movement skills? Absolutely. But if there's 1 position on the field where weight has the least amount of impact, it's WR. WRs can protect themselves more than any other position.....ducking tackles, running out of bounds, positional blocking

Sure he was.

I've seen lots of references to him being in the 170's at Syracuse and he weighed in at 181 before his draft. Skill players tend to lose weight during the season from all the running/conditioning and play at a lower weight than they show at the combine. I would bet he played around 175 max in college.
I'm talking about in the NFL.

Glad you know what Marvin Harrison maxed out in during college for weight.

Were you the locker-room attendant? :shrug: :KIP:

I'm talking about in the NFL.

Glad you know what Marvin Harrison maxed out in during college for weight.

Were you the locker-room attendant? :shrug: :KIP:

So then we need to wait another few years and see what Smith's weight is in the NFL. We can't compare an NFL vet who's body has matured to a 21-22 year old college kid. The only comparison is that of both guys in college.

When you don't have a good argument, you defer to jokes. Maybe next time go for substance.

So then we need to wait another few years and see what Smith's weight is in the NFL. We can't compare an NFL vet who's body has matured to a 21-22 year old college kid. The only comparison is that of both guys in college.

When you don't have a good argument, you defer to jokes. Maybe next time go for substance.
He's over 22 years old, actually. You think the self proclaimed "Slim Reaper" Is gonna easily gain about 15lbs in the NFL? Dude is skin and bones. Good luck with that.

He's over 22 years old, actually. You think the self proclaimed "Slim Reaper" Is gonna easily gain about 15lbs in the NFL? Dude is skin and bones. Good luck with that.

He may not - some just have that fast metabolism.

That said, he's gotten by just fine thus far and while not ideal for the NFL grind, his on field game has yet to reveal concerns about it. There's 200 pound WRs hurt all the time. His only injury was a dislocated finger. Like i said, i value size/length/weight at every other position. WR though - it plays a role but much much less important.

The one area he lacks compared to Chase is ability to fight through press coverage. Chase is excellent with his hands and fighting off the defender.....off the line and within his routes. Smith defers to his quicks to make them miss. Could that be an issue for Smith in the pros? Maybe. But I've seen advanced stats showing most NFL teams incorporating zone 50%+ of the time......so maybe not. If you try to jam and miss though......he seems to make people pay.

Pitts has the potential to be Gronk on steroids...that's why...4.46 40 for a TE? Yikes

Agreed! Pitts is going to be a nightmare for defenses especially in our offense. However, Pitts would be outstanding in Atl’s offense too which worries me.

The problem with Smith is his size. in college it doesn’t matter that much but he will get shut down in the NFL. He’s not getting off the line against most corners in the NFL. If defenses put a bigger, physical corner on him, his number won’t be called all game. Just like Marvin Harrison vs Ty Law; shut the **** down. The NFL has a receipt for WRs like Smith, that’s why you don’t see frail sub 170lbs WRs.

They both look phenomenal. I understand the general anxiety of *not knowing*, but it’s easy to lose perspective - we are in an absolutely amazing position. If our ‘problem’ is whether we are drafting Pitts, Chase, Smith or Sewell - we don’t have problems, just preferences.

I am EXCITED

I don't know, the stats doesn't seem to back that up.

View attachment 73772

You missed the explanation i gave after - i said fighting through press, not simply beating press. Chase uses his hands/strength extremely well, almost initiating contact and bullying past the CB while Smith usually attacks it with quicks/speed and leans on his incredible release technique.

Yes Smith's stats probably look great bc most college CBs aren't capable of jamming him....he's too good on his release. I'm saying when a corner gets their hands on him, Chase appears better equipped to hand fighting and disengaging. Smith is great at beating the CB then keeping him at distance.

I don't understand how anyone would take a 170 lb receiver over a 250 lb beast. I doubt the title of this thread will age well.
Remember this 250 lb beast?

1618088560429.png

Obviously I'm having a bit of fun with this image, but there is truth in it; some people put too much stock in "measurables". I remember on the night of the National Championship game, you know, back when these guys were actually playing football instead of being measured, and this very board was woe-is-us'ing over the fact that now the Jets were going to take Smith at #2 overall and we were going to miss out. Was Pitts even on anyone's radar at the time?

Now, I'm not saying that Smith will be better than Pitts, I can't predict who will be better. But I am saying that the further we get from football being played, fans are putting too much importance on measurables rather than what we actually saw on the field.

Remember this 250 lb beast?

View attachment 73777

Obviously I'm having a bit of fun with this image, but there is truth in it; some people put too much stock in "measurables". I remember on the night of the National Championship game, you know, back when these guys were actually playing football instead of being measured, and this very board was woe-is-us'ing over the fact that now the Jets were going to take Smith at #2 overall and we were going to miss out. Was Pitts even on anyone's radar at the time?

Now, I'm not saying that Smith will be better than Pitts, I can't predict who will be better. But I am saying that the further we get from football being played, fans are putting too much importance on measurables rather than what we actually saw on the field.

I saw Pitts dominate just as Smith did, in their own ways, on the field.

I saw Pitts go through all drills and get measured and I saw Smith do none/little of that.

That's what I saw.

Measurements/times can help to confirm what was seen on film.

Marvin Harrison would disagree with your assessment.
Again with one guy, drafted two decades ago, that actually played @20 lbs heavier?

If that's your arguement, you are probably on the wrong side of a philosophical debate.

Is it possible that he becomes an elite HOFer? Sure, but the odds are huge against it.

That's all most of us are saying. It isn't personal against Smith, or Alabama.

Again with one guy, drafted two decades ago, that actually played @20 lbs heavier?

If that's your arguement, you are probably on the wrong side of a philosophical debate.

Is it possible that he becomes an elite HOFer? Sure, but the odds are huge against it.
That certainly seems to be the argument, but if you want to "prove" that Smith will struggle in the pros, it's not enough to point at the league and say "no other receivers of his weight succeeded" precisely because he's an outlier. What you have to point at is other skinny receivers who were hugely successful in college and failed in the pros because of their weight. Are there any examples?

Back
Top Bottom